Bama Baseball

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Looks like this team will struggle even more when conference play starts. Swept this weekend by a pretty good Louisville team ( two losses by one run-both in extra innings). But this freshman laced team really struggles to hit the ball with any consistency.

Bama baseball is only going to be as good as the in state talent that decides to play college ball in Tuscaloosa. They can be decent when the state provides good players- but that is about it. The PTB (Board of Trustees) need to understand that a great many Tide fans DO CARE about this program. I have heard all this discussion on here about how they DO NOT CARE- and maybe that is true.

The recruiting disadvantage Bama baseball faces due to the lack of lottery (gambling) scholarships cannot be emphasized enough. Look at he rosters of the top teams in the country- players from all over the United States. Some of them on full rides because of lotto schollies. Bama baseball is made up of in state players and few from Mississippi- none on full rides.

At least the power people at Bama could build them a first class facility to play in- maybe this would off set the built in recruiting hole they find themselves in every year. It was reported the other day that Bama athletics generated over 124 million in revenue- 4th behind only Texas, Michigan and Ohio St. Yet our baseball facilities are arguably the worst in the conference. It is ridiculous and I know it has been discussed on here ad nauseum.

One thing if for sure- the state of Alabama will NEVER pass the lotto or legalize gambling in this state. Too much hypocrisy and lack of progressive thinking for that to happpen. Never mind what 47 other states have decided is best.

I will end my rant now- Bama baseball could and should be a consistent top 20 program. But this will just not happen with the current obstacles.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
What I would do....

Step One:

Strike a deal with the City of Tuscaloosa and build a stadium here

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
I think we should build an almost exact replica of Rickwood Field. I'd even suggest buying their scoreboard (or building a modernized one that looks exactly like it)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Jim was the second winningest coach in SEC history - at Alabama. When he left the roster was loaded - at Alabama. I know that a lot of people feel that we were trending downward when he left and maybe we were, but you could still count on us to be competitive and near the top of the division when Jim was here.

It's just tough to take knowing that this is the toughest league in America and how hard it is to scratch and claw back to the top, assuming we can ever even do that.

rtr

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
Gaspard has been a disaster, there's really no denying that. But there's also no denying the complete neglect of the baseball program by the Athletic Department. We have the worst stadium in the SEC and every other program is getting upgrades, while the only thing the Joe has gotten is a new section of bleacher seats

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
One problem with the University working out a deal with the City to build a stadium there Bama Bird. The City doesn't own the property. Well, the City does own a small part of that land, but not nearly enough for a stadium. A second issue is that it in not on campus. If a new stadium is ever built, and I don't expect that it will happen any time soon, it should be on campus. The best location is on the Bryce property that the University will be taking control of in the next couple of years. There is a perfect spot of land across Campus Drive from the Softball stadium for a baseball stadium, but I don't see the powers that be making that kind of commitment. Of course, we could have the best stadium in the world and without adequate coaching, it just won't matter.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Maybe the state lotto, or lack of one, is a disadvantage. However, it does not explain Vanderbilt's success under Corbin because it is a private school. State lottery education dollars cannot be used for private school tuition here in Tennessee, yet Vandy is a dominant program. There are many reasons why Vandy is successful, but they are doing it without the lottery.

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Maybe the state lotto, or lack of one, is a disadvantage. However, it does not explain Vanderbilt's success under Corbin because it is a private school. State lottery education dollars cannot be used for private school tuition here in Tennessee, yet Vandy is a dominant program. There are many reasons why Vandy is successful, but they are doing it without the lottery.
Vanderbilt works around the 11.7 limit by awarding academic scholarships to many of their players. They also have the luxury of employing one of the best coaches in the country in Tim Corbin, whose emphasis on nationwide recruiting (in addition to hand-picking the best in-state talent) has transformed that program from conference doormat to perennial Omaha contender.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I say we throw the bank at Corbin and pray it happens (I'm not getting my hopes up though). Like y'all have said we need a new field BAD!

Also I still fully believe the barn beats us out for most of the "top" talent in the state. We do hit the state up very well and there is a lot of talent here, but as long as the barn gets the most we'll keep losing recruits to them and to the draft as these days most kids will take their chances in the MLB instead of our mediocre programs in the state (the big time ones atleast)

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
The lotto isn't the end-all, be-all (or is it the reverse?) to solving all our troubles. While it would be nice if the NCAA would limit the use of these lotto schollies -- a school's ability to offer a kid a scholarship shouldn't be affected by that state's politics -- there's many schools being helped by these schollies, and not enough being hurt by them, for the NCAA to take a hard stand against it. Every single one of those coaches/ADs would be breathing fire at the NCAA for taking away those "extra" schollies.

In any case, that's not our "major" problem. We signed the number 4 class in the country according the BA last year. That also helps show that facilities are not a major crutch holding us back in recruiting either (even though we drastically need new facilities).

The biggest problem is that the past two years, guys have been getting coached by coaches who'd never coached that position. I hate to keep harping on the coaching staff. I really do WANT them to succeed, because them succeeding means Alabama baseball is succeeding, and that's the goal here.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
How long will it take in-state kids to see that they are not going to get developed to decide to go somewhere other than the University of Alabama?

rtr

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Coach Murphy did the fund raising or the fantastic softball facilities..Mal Moore threw some empty promises o being back CJW after he quit.

I don't hold high hopes for first class facilities. Paint job, a picnic table or two, maybe replace a speaker...that's it

Coach Moore knows football...that's it. Dave Hart did the Anthony Grant work. Sarah Patterson was already coaching. Coach Murphy took charge for the softball facilities. Someone convince me the AD gives a rat's butt about baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
He doesn't... that's the problem. If you take away one hire (Nick Saban), Mal Moore has had a disastrous tenure as AD. We've had two major probations in football (Albert Means, textbooks); one almost gave us the death penalty. He hired Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, and Mike Shula. He's made two other men's sports hires: Anthony Grant (looking like a failure) and Mitch Gaspard (definite failure). Sarah Patterson is in charge of women's athletics and she can be credited with the championships of the women's teams.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Actually, Bama Bird, Marie Robbins is the women's senior administrator and is in charge of women's athletics, but your point is well taken. Maybe what we need for baseball is a coach like Pat Murphy or Sarah Patterson who took the bull by the horns and worked to build a program. We all know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Of course, when Pat and Sarah were squeaking the loudest, they were actually putting a good product on the field (or floor in Sarah's case) and probably not afraid that if they made too much noise they would be replaced.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If you go to any little league park in Alabama the next few weeks you will see how much this state really cares about baseball. Even without full scholarship rides I believe there is enough talent in this state alone to field high competitive at both Bama and AU. The fact that the sport has been so neglected by the AD really is an affront to the state. Any opportunity we can offer an in-state kid we should do it - I believe we would get outstanding support if we could go back to offering these kids competent coaching and development.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Mal Moore gets way too much credit for hiring Nick Saban. Yes, he had to talk him into it, but Dr. Witt was the one who gave him the blank check.

Here's how the teams have done this year.

Football-First
Men's Cross Country-11th of 13 teams (No South Carolina)
Women's Cross Country-11th of 14 teams
Volleyball-7-13 in the SEC, 18-14 overall. 6th in the west, 10 of 13 overall (No Vandy)
Men's basketball-12-6 in the SEC, 20-11 overall. tied for second, fourth seed in tourney.
Women's basketball- 2-14 in the SEC, 13-18 overall. Tied for last with Ole Miss. Thirteen seed, beat MSU and then lost to USCe in SEC tournament.
Men's indoor track-Seventh of 12 teams (No Mississippi schools).
Women's indoor track-Tenth of 14 teams
Men's swimming-Tenth of 10 teams (No Mississippi schools, Vandy or USCe)
Women's swimming-Tenth of 12 teams (No Mississippi schools).

Outside of football and men's basketball, not much to wrote home about. I know we aren't going to win 21 national championships every year, but we should at least be competitive in a majority of the sports.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I agree JDCrimson, the talent is there. Its just a matter of finding it and coaching it up.

Interesting listing of our failing sports programs Crimson 1967. You did leave out a few though. You forgot men's and women's golf who are both ranked # 2 nationally right now, along with #4 ranked gymnastics, # 4 ranked softball, #6 ranked women's tennis and #27 ranked men's tennis.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well. I just looked at teams that have finished their seasons. But I'm glad our spring sports (outside of baseball) are doing well. After the spring I may try to put something together to see how we stand overall in the SEC in all sports.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.