20 loss team makes NCAA tournament

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
This is why college football, despite its own postseason flaws, is simply a better sport than college basketball. The basketball regular season is simply worthless. It should not be possible for a team to go winless in the regular season and still win the national championship. They need to give the regular season champion the automatic tie in, but because the sport is over-capitalized, the tournament has to mean everything or people aren't making money

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
If you're a "bubble" NIT team, chances are they have more to worry about than an undeserving team making it into the NCAA tourney. Not like the NIT is that big of a deal, outside of mid majors looking to help recruiting.
Was kind of a joke man! However we were on the NIT bubble CAG first year and it would have helped that year to get extra pt for some players.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Awesome! Instead of one of the bubble teams getting in the tournament, Liberty gets in to only get embarrassed by Duke or Indiana. I know its league is only getting one team in the tournament. However, no one can say Liberty deserves the bid. Folks saying nothing is wrong with this can not complain when a bubble team doesn't make it. And don't say those teams shouldn't be on the bubble in the first place. It's the teams like Liberty (teams that only go by winning conference tourney) that cause Bama, UT, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Boise, and others to be on the bubble.

Want to make the tournament better? Don't expand it to however many teams. Kick out the teams like Liberty and put in the bubble teams. Would be better 1-16, 2-15 matchups.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is more about greed than anything else. Conference tournaments are meaningless with a 64 team playoff, but they are still played because they are cash cows. To keep them "relevant" in the minds of (those who haven't figured this out yet), they give the tournament winners an automatic bid in the NCAA tournament. These are the only entrants that do not face any scrutiny and many are far less deserving than the "bubble" teams.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is more about greed than anything else.
I still firmly believe it is about inclusion.

The NFL and NBA both have included teams with losing records in their playoffs due to automatic inclusion. Even the BCS bowls included unranked teams due to automatic inclusion rules. In each case, there were more deserving teams excluded as well. The key is you include virtually every conference and division, because you care more about appeasement than quality.

We all know that any playoff should include the top teams and only worthy teams if their desire is a quality result. That is not their desire, and while you can argue that greed is a motivating factor (because they care more about the success of the playoff then actually crowning a deserving team), I'm not sure it is the primary factor. They want inclusion, they get inclusion, and we get jokes like 20 loss teams.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, you are applying a fairly recent mentality to a behavior that is decades old. Americans did not care about "inclusion" 25 years ago. We made no bones about loving winners, and only winners. Tournaments have grown to "include" more as this mentality has become more prevalent, but the primary factor has always been profit.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Awesome! Instead of one of the bubble teams getting in the tournament, Liberty gets in to only get embarrassed by Duke or Indiana. I know its league is only getting one team in the tournament. However, no one can say Liberty deserves the bid. Folks saying nothing is wrong with this can not complain when a bubble team doesn't make it. And don't say those teams shouldn't be on the bubble in the first place. It's the teams like Liberty (teams that only go by winning conference tourney) that cause Bama, UT, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Boise, and others to be on the bubble.

Want to make the tournament better? Don't expand it to however many teams. Kick out the teams like Liberty and put in the bubble teams. Would be better 1-16, 2-15 matchups.
I don't see an issue with it and I will not complain when a bubble team doesn't get in. You know why I won't complain? Those bubble teams, Alabama included, had 30 games or more to prove they were worthy and they didn't do it.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Just wait until a winless ND gets in the football playoff because a Paul Hornung type was injured before the season started. Can't happen? Why not? They won only two games in 1956 when he won the Heisman. Would they have won any had he not played? Would it have mattered?

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IMO, you are applying a fairly recent mentality to a behavior that is decades old. Americans did not care about "inclusion" 25 years ago. We made no bones about loving winners, and only winners.
I'm not so sure. Prior to 1975 the NCAA tournament included up to 25 teams. Yet, only one from each conference. Sounds a heck of a lot like inclusion to me. I think the behavior is decades old, it's just that people are so in love with playoffs they try to forget the warts really fast, I mean who wants to remember Arizona in the Super Bowl?:

"Prior to 1975, only one team per conference could be in the NCAA tournament. However, after several highly ranked teams in the country were denied entrance into the tournament (e.g., South Carolina, which was 14-0 in conference play during 1970, Southern Cal which was ranked #2 in the nation during 1971, and Maryland which was ranked #3 in the nation in 1974), the NCAA began to place at-large teams in the tournament, instead of just conference champions."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The NFL and NBA both have included teams with losing records in their playoffs due to automatic inclusion. Even the BCS bowls included unranked teams due to automatic inclusion rules. In each case, there were more deserving teams excluded as well. The key is you include virtually every conference and division, because you care more about appeasement than quality.

We all know that any playoff should include the top teams and only worthy teams if their desire is a quality result. That is not their desire, and while you can argue that greed is a motivating factor (because they care more about the success of the playoff then actually crowning a deserving team), I'm not sure it is the primary factor. They want inclusion, they get inclusion, and we get jokes like 20 loss teams.
I agree with you about a college playoff. However, the professional playoffs do not really compare because of the parity with players. Look at the Chiefs. Have the #1 overall pick this year while having 6 Pro Bowlers. The talent difference between #1 and #32 in the NFL isn't that great. The talent difference between #1 and #25 in college football tends to be pretty significant.
I don't see an issue with and I will not complain when a bubble team doesn't get in. You know why I won't complain? Those bubble teams, Alabama included, have 30 games or more to prove they were worthy and they didn't do it.
If that's the case, a team's RPI should never been mentioned. Libery's RPI going into yesterday was 283. All they did was win a few days in a row. Alabama won a few games in a row during the season. Should it be automatically in the tournament? When a bubble team has the same number of wins as a conference tournament winner has loses, the tournament has a problem.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
If that's the case, a team's RPI should never been mentioned. Libery's RPI going into yesterday was 283. All they did was win a few days in a row. Alabama won a few games in a row during the season. Should it be automatically in the tournament? When a bubble team has the same number of wins as a conference tournament winner has loses, the tournament has a problem.
All Alabama has to do is win 3 games in a row and they will be in just like Liberty.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.