Kelly and Notre Dame media are still making excuses for the blowout! We've seen this

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I didn't read the link, so this is just my take from reading what was posted.

He seemed to say he didn't think his team was prepared to play in a game like that and that he thought his schedule had them ready for a team like Alabama. I also don't think he blamed the penalties. I took it as saying they couldn't make mistakes right off the bat if they wanted to have a chance.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I didn't read the link, so this is just my take from reading what was posted.

He seemed to say he didn't think his team was prepared to play in a game like that and that he thought his schedule had them ready for a team like Alabama. I also don't think he blamed the penalties. I took it as saying they couldn't make mistakes right off the bat if they wanted to have a chance.
My take as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I must be missing something - I didn't get the idea of whining or excuses at all. His point was accurate about them needing better than those two penalties, but it's not like he suggested that lost them the game.

I've yet to hear an Irish fan even subtly suggest they should have won. What's funny to me is that Kelly looked shell- shocked at halftime and when he suggested their chance of winning was only if Alabama didn't come back to play he was butchered in media for giving up. I thought it was the most honest answer I'd ever seen.

I won't pick on the OP but sometimes some of us here seem to take anything less than bowing at our feet as disrespect towards the Tide. It isn't. If someone says they think aTm will best us don't take it personally.
Good post Bill and I am in total agreement. Some on here have very short memories of a different Alabama football program.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't think he made excuses.

He admitted to underestimating the enormity of the environment.

I think he knew the Irish needed a near perfect performance and the early penalties were just a sign it wasn't going to happen.

It was just coach speak.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The NDNation guys were all over this too - sarcastically dismayed, essentially, that CBK could miscalculate the enormity of the game. My favorite post was: "new assistant position: Bowl Game Enormity Calculator," also joking that we hired three after the Utah game. And as for excuses, I haven;t seen any of their folks making any either. They mighty see the back-to-back calls differently from how we do, but not one of them has suggested it changed the outcome.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
Making excuses for losing by a touchdown, maybe even two, is understandable and could possibly have some merit. You just can't make any excuses for losing 42-14. You just weren't the better team

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
The audience is his players, not the public. So he's really just doing 2 things at 2 different times:
1. Right after the game, he's making the point to them that they have a ton of work to do.
2. Now that it is time to actually practice, he's reassuring them that they CAN accomplish what they want, and that he's got their backs.

or, in even simpler form:
1. push
2. reassure
(rinse, repeat)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It would be hard for Kelly to comment on the game in a way that couldn't be criticized. For example: He says his team had too many injuries to practice properly over the 42 day wait. You could respond by saying the long wait gave players time to get over their injuries, if the game had been played sooner they might not could have played at all.

And now, after seeing Bama's team play, he's decided to recruit better players? That's just ridiculous, I'm sure he's been trying to recruit the best talent he could since he got there.

At halftime, he was overwhelmed, that was obvious. We've seen the same "slapped-silly" look several times on Urban Meyer's face. It would be fun to be a bartender and serve Kelly and Meyer a few drinks, and listen to them compare thoughts on playing Saban's Bama. Mac Brown and Les Miles could join the party, give them enough to drink and they might all start crying.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
FriendlyIrish has been a great poster. I hope y'all aren't directing this towards him. Especially considering you really have to take some mental leaps to interpret Kelly's comments as bargaining with the truth of the events.
I'm surprised, and disappointed, that Friendly Irish didn't/doesn't know that the call was correct. All it requires is that one know the CURRENT rule. Which was Musburger's problem and led to his incorrect comments. I'm amazed at the coin these guys make to call a game, and very few, if any, of them know the rules.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be fair, it's hard for me to keep what's "current" straight myself lately.

Also, as far as the enomority of a game goes:

Stalling has said before, "if you don't think it's a big game then try losing it."

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Look it wouldn't have made any difference if ND ran the ball or had it delivered by UPS. They were overmatched every step of the way. Coaching included. Maybe after 3 or 4 more recruiting classes like this year ND will be ready for real prime time and not just TV hype. This is what it takes to compete with Bama these days, at least for now.

No offense to Friendly Irish but most of us here were just sick of watching the phony PR job done by NBC and ESPN on your team and how evenly matched etc or that Manti was something special when we all knew he was not.

We may not be as smart as ND fans but one thing we know is football which is why so many of us were predicting a blow out. It was not just fan bluster.
^^This.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The 'Halo' portion, to a degree, of the fair catch rule had been added back last season. And was applied correctly to the play in question. Musburger stated, incorrectly, that there was no longer a 'halo rule'. He is paid way too much to not know the rules.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The 'Halo' portion, to a degree, of the fair catch rule had been added back last season. And was applied correctly to the play in question. Musburger stated, incorrectly, that there was no longer a 'halo rule'. He is paid way too much to not know the rules.
Yeah, the fact I don't remember isn't a deal. I'm not paid to know the game well enough to call it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The current push is towards player safety. The abolishment of the halo rule was being abused in a couple of different ways, both of which occurred in that play. Gunners were running straight at the PR and swerving at the last second and also intentionally shoving the guarding blocker into the PR. The current rule covers both the swerve, if it interferes with the catch, or partially reinstates the halo, if the gunner is within one yard and directly in front of the PR...

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Re: Kelly and Notre Dame media are still making excuses for the blowout! We've see

Honestly it doesn't seem like he's really making excuses. Did he say the penalties were the sole reason? I don't think so. Just reaching here IMO. He knows the talent gap is wide, and we are recruiting as such.

Agree. I don't read anything strange or crooked, or "antiBama" in any way here. He's catering to the local media, telling them what they want to hear. Any good coach worth his salt does the same...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.