Commentary on CAG Not Being Fired This Year

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some have voiced their wanting to get rid of CAG. Found this commentary from Saturday about why CAG shouldn't be fired. Thoughts?

Link

Anthony Grant’s ability to coach has come into question lately. Never mind that he is one of the best defensive coaches in college basketball. His team gives up only 59.7 points a game, which is 30[SUP]th[/SUP] in the country. Never mind that outside of Trevor Releford or Moussa Gueye, players on this team who see meaningful minutes are freshmen or sophomores. Never mind the only senior on this team, Andrew Steele, has been battling injuries this entire season.

Never mind that Alabama’s conference record this year (11-6) is better than last year’s record (9-7). Never mind that Alabama lost their two best players from last year, Tony Mitchel and Jamychael Green, and have practically the same record this year. The Tide finished 21-12 last year, and this year ‘Bama is 19-11.

Who cares? Things aren’t going according to plan, and so, of course, we have to fire the coach.

Bama Bird

Scout Team
Feb 6, 2013
In year 4, there should be a strong sense of turnaround, especially in basketball. The thing is, there isn't. If you look only at the record, it might seem one way. However, take into consideration the games we've lost (Mercer, Tennessee, Tulane) and the games we could easily have lost. It honestly feels like Auburn football's "Forever Young" Chizik teams. We're stuck where we are, and are sliding whether you want to admit it or not. We need to pull the plug now as opposed to later when rebuilding will be more difficult.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
At this point I don't care. We'll fire Grant. He'll get paid then find another job. He will do well there. Bama will be looking for a new coach in 3-4. 10 years later the program will still be where it is. I believe there is a formula for college basketball. Your better teams are when the bulk of your roster is juniors and seniors. Unless you are UK, this theory has been proven true time and time again.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't think CAG should be fired however I don't think he deserves a raise or contract extension and if he left for another job I wouldn't shed any tears. One problem I see is that next year really isn't shaping up to be any better than this year and if the rest of the SEC improves (which I expect) then it may not be as good. I don't see our sophomores making much of an improvement because typically the most improvement happens between the freshman and sophomore years. On the other hand Pollard and Retin both have the potential to make huge leaps forward. That is the only thing that I can see on the immediate horizon that will make us markedly better next year. I'm not counting on either of the incoming freshmen to have much of an impact. Hale might be able to break into a 9-man rotation but I expect Taylor to either redshirt or play very few minutes. A wildcard is if Releford leaves after this year. He shouldn't but I wouldn't be surprised if he does. If he leaves then I think we will struggle mightly next year regardless of the improvement of Pollard and Retin.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In year 4, there should be a strong sense of turnaround, especially in basketball. The thing is, there isn't. If you look only at the record, it might seem one way. However, take into consideration the games we've lost (Mercer, Tennessee, Tulane) and the games we could easily have lost. It honestly feels like Auburn football's "Forever Young" Chizik teams. We're stuck where we are, and are sliding whether you want to admit it or not. We need to pull the plug now as opposed to later when rebuilding will be more difficult.
..I don't agree in the least

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Outsider's point of view, but Alabama is not a basketball school. You are not competing for the best players in the country. It takes great players to win. Grant is a good coach, not a great coach. If he were coaching at a basketball school, that might be enough. At Alabama, it probably will not be enough.

But does that mean that you should replace him? IMO, only if you are ready (and able) to sign a coach with the type of reputation that would enable you to attract the players that you need. Otherwise you are better off building the program with consistency in coaching and hope that you get lucky with under-rated players every once in a while.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
This thread is a non sequiter ... nobody besides Bama Bird is seriously talking about firing Anthony Grant. It hasn't been a great year. Injuries do not account for the failure of our core players, with the exception of TR, to improve. But despite the disappointing losses, CAG will get at least one more year, perhaps two, unless he decides he wants to be elsewhere. It's his choice, for now.

Outsider's point of view, but Alabama is not a basketball school. You are not competing for the best players in the country. It takes great players to win. Grant is a good coach, not a great coach. If he were coaching at a basketball school, that might be enough. At Alabama, it probably will not be enough.

But does that mean that you should replace him? IMO, only if you are ready (and able) to sign a coach with the type of reputation that would enable you to attract the players that you need. Otherwise you are better off building the program with consistency in coaching and hope that you get lucky with under-rated players every once in a while.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Please find me a current coach to replace CAG.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If we had had the patience, which at Bama, we often don't......

We'd start to find we can make a strong run every 3 years or so.....then the window shrinks 2 every two years, and then every year...... we stand to be a pretty dominant team next year.

PG - Releford - SR
PG - Lacey - JR
PG - Obasahan - SO
SG - Randolph - JR
SG/SF - Cooper - JR
PF - Jacobs - JR
C - Gueye - SR
C - The Swede - JR

Plus two bigs coming in --

We'll be just fine. I'm guessing we'll be preseason Top 25 - and picked to be in the Top 4 of the SEC>......

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I want to be with you, Caj, but we won't be much better than OK unless someone steps forward to consistently help Releford on the offensive end. Someone should have emerged at this point. Now I wonder if anybody can.

We'd start to find we can make a strong run every 3 years or so.....then the window shrinks 2 every two years, and then every year...... we stand to be a pretty dominant team next year.

PG - Releford - SR
PG - Lacey - JR
PG - Obasahan - SO
SG - Randolph - JR
SG/SF - Cooper - JR
PF - Jacobs - JR
C - Gueye - SR
C - The Swede - JR

Plus two bigs coming in --

We'll be just fine. I'm guessing we'll be preseason Top 25 - and picked to be in the Top 4 of the SEC>......

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007

We'd start to find we can make a strong run every 3 years or so.....then the window shrinks 2 every two years, and then every year...... we stand to be a pretty dominant team next year..
That's pretty much how its done at every school not named UK, UNC, Duke, or Kansas.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I want to be with you, Caj, but we won't be much better than OK unless someone steps forward to consistently help Releford on the offensive end. Someone should have emerged at this point. Now I wonder if anybody can.
This is where I place the blame on CAG. He needs to put in a better system. Playing Cooper at the 4 is a complete waste.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
That's why I'm hopeful about next year and the following year (Senior: Lacey, Randolph, Jacobs, and Coop and a Junior in Retin).
Dig up all my old post and I've always said that's when I expect us to be a good team.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not saying CAG needs to be fired but he does need to be on a pretty warm seat. He needs to improve his offensive plan. Needs to recruit a pure shooter/basketball player not just athletes. And next year we need to be a consistent top 25 team. Otherwise he should not be held as high as some of you do. I like him and think he can do all of that but he will have to adapt himself to improve. I'm pulling for him but also know its a business. Roll tide and go Grant.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.