Alabama Pro Day Results

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
DJ's weight going down should also help solidify his Round 1 draft status since he's showing a good work ethic taking the weight off.

I think we're looking at 3 consecutive years of 4 first round picks. What was USC's and Miami's total when they had their runs?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wish Jesse would do the bench press. I really don't care what his agent says, with the speed he exhibited if he did like 50 reps there's no telling how much money that would make both him AND his agent who gets a percentage.
If it's because of an injury then ok, perfectly understandable. If he's not benching for any other reason it just doesn't make sense.
sip

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I wish Jesse would do the bench press. I really don't care what his agent says, with the speed he exhibited if he did like 50 reps there's no telling how much money that would make both him AND his agent who gets a percentage.
If it's because of an injury then ok, perfectly understandable. If he's not benching for any other reason it just doesn't make sense.
sip
It makes perfect sense. If you hurt yourself before getting paid and can keep you from getting paid at all. He is likely to be a guaranteed 1-2 rd pick. His agent is banking on that over breaking the reps record and risking serious injury.

As a fan, I'd love to see him try to break the record too.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It makes perfect sense. If you hurt yourself before getting paid and can keep you from getting paid at all. He is likely to be a guaranteed 1-2 rd pick. His agent is banking on that over breaking the reps record and risking serious injury.

As a fan, I'd love to see him try to break the record too.
I see your point to an extent but if you have a spotter(which they do) it's very very difficult to get hurt doing a 225 pound bench press a number of times.

If it was a big risk I don't think Coach Cochran would have let him bench 600 pounds during the season.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
it doesn't , it was reported by BOL staff as a sidenote.
and my "wow" was regarding the amount of reps BJ put up. ;)
Read any article about bench press form and plant your feet and push will be in there. Along with pinch your shoulders and arch your back. Might have been tougher with a boot. Very impressive numbers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Jesse did run a 4.71 (I've seen multiple times), he would have been the #8 D-lineman at the combine. Of the 7 people in front of him, the heaviest is Margus Hunt, who weighs 277.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I see your point to an extent but if you have a spotter(which they do) it's very very difficult to get hurt doing a 225 pound bench press a number of times.

If it was a big risk I don't think Coach Cochran would have let him bench 600 pounds during the season.
Very difficult to get hurt. All he is going to do is go to failure which may hurt the spotter more having to deadlift 225 off his chest than he would trying to push out 1 more rep. I think the real reason he is skipping the bench is he said that he was going to try and break the combine record. Now that # is stuck in everybody's mind and that he is a freak that better at least put up 40-50 reps. Then, what if he goes in and only does 30? That's still alot of reps but you now have a credibility question with NFL Network and ESPN talking trash. Scouts will shoot holes in it like a paper target as well. So, just don't take the gamble now.

BoroBama

1st Team
Jun 12, 2008
Very difficult to get hurt. All he is going to do is go to failure which may hurt the spotter more having to deadlift 225 off his chest than he would trying to push out 1 more rep. I think the real reason he is skipping the bench is he said that he was going to try and break the combine record. Now that # is stuck in everybody's mind and that he is a freak that better at least put up 40-50 reps. Then, what if he goes in and only does 30? That's still alot of reps but you now have a credibility question with NFL Network and ESPN talking trash. Scouts will shoot holes in it like a paper target as well. So, just don't take the gamble now.
It is not difficult to get hurt. There were two OL hurt benching at the combine. JW did 30 at the combine, if he did 50 it would not move his draft stock enough to risk injury.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I was hoping Michael Williams would help his draft stock today, but I don't think a 5.4 is going to win him any points. The league is so pass happy now that a blocking tight-end just isn't needed much anymore. Hopefully he will at least get picked late.

I also fear that Lacy may wind up being a 2nd round steal with all of the injuries he's had. Hopefully he is able to compete in a later pro-day, otherwise he may take a bit of a pay cut.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Im thinking we'll get 3 first round guys and 2 2nd round guys, not sure who goes where.

Some of these numbers are interesting. Some guys are very average in terms of physical talent, but on the field they made up for it in other ways. Stockpiling guys with physical talent will only make the team stronger.

Alan22

Oct 6, 2012
Cocodrie, LA
I was hoping the Falcons would consider EL, but with the signing of Steven Jackson that might just have went down the drain.
Dear Lord, that would be a nightmare for me; I was happy with the Jackson pick-up. :p But yeah, it already hurts to see Julio in that black helmet. Roman Harper just needs to take his head off for me once. :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.