New duplicate number rule.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
There is some misinformation being passed around. Here is the rule:

NEW RULE No. 5: Only one player with a given number can participate at any position; any player with a duplicate number cannot play the same position.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
This just means you can't number all of your QB's #12. You obviously still can't have two #8's on the field at the same time.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I believe Miles used the same jersey number for all of his kickers so you couldn't tell if they were planning a fake. Looks like he will have one less trick up his sleeve next year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone please explain the point of this rule. I don't see the big deal. If Bama wants all the QBs to wear 10, why can't they?

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Someone please explain the point of this rule. I don't see the big deal. If Bama wants all the QBs to wear 10, why can't they?
Because the other team should be able to know who is on the field at each position at any one time. Having all of our TEs and H-backs numbered identically would be a competitive advantage; the opposing D-coordinator wouldn't know if we had a blocking TE or a hands guy in. Before this rule change we could have.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because the other team should be able to know who is on the field at each position at any one time. Having all of our TEs and H-backs numbered identically would be a competitive advantage; the opposing D-coordinator wouldn't know if we had a blocking TE or a hands guy in. Before this rule change we could have.
Oh, so we shouldn't have competitive advantages in a competitive sport? Gotcha.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
:rolleye2: Folks this is why I posted the rule.

Originally Posted by ALA2262
Exactly! But I have read that duplicate numbers were being eliminated totally, and that simply is not the case.

How can that be instituted? You have 85 scholarship players and around 20 walk-ons at any given time. Unless you can have triple-digit numbers now, that won't work.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oh, so we shouldn't have competitive advantages in a competitive sport? Gotcha.
I believe the question is really what an unfair advantage is. Unless I'm mistaken, I think we're in compliance already. I believe all of our dupes have not only been not the same position but on opposite sides of the ball. I have no problem with forcing Miles to do it like we do...

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I wonder if this was Verne L's idea? Without it, he might butcher several player's names, but now - if he can just keep up with who plays offense and who plays defense......well, never mind - he can't even do that!:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.