New duplicate number rule.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
There exists film of Coach Bryant while at Kentucky, the team is running out onto the field and there is a guy wearing a jersey marked "4A." No joke.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Why should a team have to tell the opponent who is on the field?
Sauce for the goose. It's not just us who wouldn't communicate. It's all our opponents, too.

Not knowing who's on the field would be a great equalizer for outmanned teams -- even moreso than the spread offense. We worked hard to get all sorts of advantages in strength, speed, technique and preparation. We outman, outcoach and outprepare just about everybody we play, and work hard to keep it that way.

I'd rather not sacrifice those advantages when it actually benefits our opponents more than it benefits us to hide the identity of players on the field.

Plus, it would be chaos to watch from the stands. All that to deny an opponent the same information they'd be denying us? It's cutting off your nose to spite your face.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I just wish there wasn't single digits on the D line. That #6 NG for UGA looks dumb. He needed a three digit jersey.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
How is "position" defined?
Good question, especially on defense. Offense is a little easier because of eligible receiver rules and the requirement of exactly 7 on the LOS, and exactly 4 in the backfield.

Defense, where you can line up any way you want, is harder to prescribe.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
It would be funny if some rebellious coach would field an entire offense that were all wearing the same number. Maybe all the third string had on #3. They could all run in at once and create havoc.

Is there some rule or convention against numbers over 99?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
How is "position" defined?
There will be, I'm sure, some leeway given when you have a team beating another team by 50 and they're emptying the bench of walk-ons. And I wish good luck to whichever official is charged with maintaining an in-game depth chart, anyway.

This rule was aimed smack at Miles and the handful of other schools that have started numbering certain players/positions with subterfuge in mind. It also, by a much smaller degree, impacts officiating (and will impact it more with the new targeting rules) -- if you eject a linebacker #50, and then another linebacker #50 shows up to take his place, what then? Is it the same guy?

UA wasn't doing anything improper, anyway. This wasn't necessarily a problem yet, but the rule change heads it off before it develops into one.

UrsusMagnus

Jan 25, 2013
There exists film of Coach Bryant while at Kentucky, the team is running out onto the field and there is a guy wearing a jersey marked "4A." No joke.
I think it was the 1972 Senior Bowl (following the 1971 season). Both John Reaves (Florida) and Pat Sullivan (I refuse to dignify that school by naming it) had worn #7 for their respective teams. Since they couldn't decide who would wear #7 for the game, they resolved the issue by issuing Reaves jersey #7R and Sullivan jersey #7S.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.