****Bama vs. UF Postgame Thread***

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think this team overachieved, given the deficiencies. I do think Grant made some roster mistakes, but this team did a lot better than a team with post problems should have...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Once again the context of the whistle changes at halftime, we can't play our game, and the opponent gets a bonus-aided run to pull away.

I'm so dang tired of college basketball, at least I won't feel compelled to support my alma mater in the endeavor for 6-7 months.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When I try watching other college b-ball games, it's the same crap. The Cuse-G'town game last night was horrendous, I was almost as hot over that as the Bama game.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think we overachieved also. Our guys play hard. I know there were some rumors about maybe losing the locker room but hard as these guys play I don't see it. I think we deserve to be in the tournament. The SEC is not as bad as they want you to believe. I believe if we got in we would make some noise. Florida is a better team than us right now but next year will be payback.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
21 wins, but best win is over Kentucky who lost in the SEC Tourny. I'm guessing NIT. Sad - second time I can recall us getting 20+ wins and no invite.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
We played extremely hard. I believe we r a tournament caliber team, but we won't make it. I hope we go out and win the NIT..... I know we list games we shouldn't have that killed us, but games at LSU, TN and UF were basically taken away from us.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we overachieved also. Our guys play hard. I know there were some rumors about maybe losing the locker room but hard as these guys play I don't see it. I think we deserve to be in the tournament. The SEC is not as bad as they want you to believe. I believe if we got in we would make some noise. Florida is a better team than us right now but next year will be payback.
I will say this and no more. There are some players' parents who feel that their kids were recruited to play an up-tempo running game and that playing in a static half-court offense is hurting their chances for an NBA career. (Every active parent thinks his kid is headed for the NBA.) Has that affected play on the court? I have no idea...

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Well, we know where this team's ceiling is, and it's with a 7-10 point lead on the best team in the league with around 12 minutes left. If only games were 28 minutes long.

Excluding the one notable aspect, subtly calling Bama's fingertips to hurry Florida along into the bonus with 14:56 left, the officiating was much better than the first time around (aside from the fact their big is going to do a moving screen all the way to the bus). That one aspect can't be understated, however.

Other than that, we know this team. We've all watched them and know the psychology of what happens during the patented 2nd half drought (that lack of depth plays a role in as well). Can we get beyond that ceiling in the future. I don't know, but the team can now have the same chance it had two years ago - a chance to practice up to a month more with a deep run in the NIT. It's not what anyone wants to hear, but maybe it'll chip in on getting up beyond the muddy rut we're spinning in now.

The coaching difference is obvious. Grant knows Donovan's tendencies because he coached under him; Donovan taught Grant those tendencies. Like Saban and Muschamp, the teacher will best the pupil most all of the time. I just don't understand given that point why we don't try to go in to the same recruiting honey holes Florida has tabs on. I don't understand why we can't get a big 4 who can shoot from three or a 5 who looks like a taller linebacker. Surely Grant knows where these kids come from, and as Saban has proven, blue-chippers will follow the right coach anywhere, even if it's to a "football school".

I guess the defeatist mentality behind being just a "football school" aren't enough for the selfish ones of us who know we should be able to do better. NCAAs four out of every five years, a top 4-seed team once or twice in that same span. It's not too much to ask for.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
They were jobbed in 2001 (my freshman year) as well for lack of a schedule, with 21-22 wins. The biggest screw over was two years ago when a Georgia team with two losses against us and a worse record and UAB got in over us. Even Dickie V. was pleading our case, which is just nuts. This team won't be a snub; we don't deserve to go.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Agree. We were picked 6th in the Conference during the Pre-season. Thin in the post, but some players I think are coming along nicely.

I think this team overachieved, given the deficiencies. I do think Grant made some roster mistakes, but this team did a lot better than a team with post problems should have...

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
This team had problems finishing at the rim. Doesn't matter much what type of offense you run if you can't put the ball in the hole at point-blank range.

The officiating was what it was in the SEC this season. Horrible. But you've got to overcome that. Hard, yes; but there's no other choice.

Had we not stunk up the entire month of December, we'd be talking seeding right now.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, we know where this team's ceiling is, and it's with a 7-10 point lead on the best team in the league with around 12 minutes left. If only games were 28 minutes long.

Excluding the one notable aspect, subtly calling Bama's fingertips to hurry Florida along into the bonus with 14:56 left, the officiating was much better than the first time around (aside from the fact their big is going to do a moving screen all the way to the bus). That one aspect can't be understated, however.

Other than that, we know this team. We've all watched them and know the psychology of what happens during the patented 2nd half drought (that lack of depth plays a role in as well). Can we get beyond that ceiling in the future. I don't know, but the team can now have the same chance it had two years ago - a chance to practice up to a month more with a deep run in the NIT. It's not what anyone wants to hear, but maybe it'll chip in on getting up beyond the muddy rut we're spinning in now.

The coaching difference is obvious. Grant knows Donovan's tendencies because he coached under him; Donovan taught Grant those tendencies. Like Saban and Muschamp, the teacher will best the pupil most all of the time. I just don't understand given that point why we don't try to go in to the same recruiting honey holes Florida has tabs on. I don't understand why we can't get a big 4 who can shoot from three or a 5 who looks like a taller linebacker. Surely Grant knows where these kids come from, and as Saban has proven, blue-chippers will follow the right coach anywhere, even if it's to a "football school".

I guess the defeatist mentality behind being just a "football school" aren't enough for the selfish ones of us who know we should be able to do better. NCAAs four out of every five years, a top 4-seed team once or twice in that same span. It's not too much to ask for.
I think that's what everyone here wants, but when have we been that in the last 30 years? And we expect Grant to create that team in 4 seasons? We're a very good team that has had a few things go against us (injuries, transfers) and we've still won 20 games a year. We're heading in the right direction, we just can't get too impatient. Did Sarah Patterson turn us into a gymnastics dynasty in her first 4 years?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Once again the context of the whistle changes at halftime, we can't play our game, and the opponent gets a bonus-aided run to pull away.

I'm so dang tired of college basketball, at least I won't feel compelled to support my alma mater in the endeavor for 6-7 months.
They were the number one seed. It shouldn't affect the officiating, but I'm afraid it does...

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
This team had problems finishing at the rim. Doesn't matter much what type of offense you run if you can't put the ball in the hole at point-blank range.

The officiating was what it was in the SEC this season. Horrible. But you've got to overcome that. Hard, yes; but there's no other choice.

Had we not stunk up the entire month of December, we'd be talking seeding right now.
I must have a bad memory but I only remember one or 2 sure things that we missed. And Florida did the same thing. That's what happens when you play top 20 defenses, even the easy buckets are hard

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.