****Bama vs. UF Postgame Thread***

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Jerry Palm has us one of the first 2 out........

He has Ole Miss and Tennessee as the last two in.......

We beat UT 2 of 3 -- and robbed of the 3rd one?

I see the arguments of us not making it -- but UT does? They hang their hat on a 30 pt win vs UK? W/O Noel? We beat UK WITH Noel!

I sure hope someone is singing our cause in there

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Jerry Palm has us one of the first 2 out........

He has Ole Miss and Tennessee as the last two in.......

We beat UT 2 of 3 -- and robbed of the 3rd one?

I see the arguments of us not making it -- but UT does? They hang their hat on a 30 pt win vs UK? W/O Noel? We beat UK WITH Noel!

I sure hope someone is singing our cause in there
The NCAA Committee has always had a love affair with Tennessee and I've never understood it.

I remember one year when Wimp was the coach. We went 18-10, they were 17-11. We beat them handily in T-Town and ran them off the court in Knoxville.

They went to the dance, we played in the N.I.T. Go figure.

I'm not sure if we merit an invite but I'm 100% certain that UT doesn't. They don't look like a good basketball team to me at all.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
I don't think we get an invite to the dance but if we do, that wouldn't surprise me either. There are always surprises during the selection process. If we make it to the NIT(I think we will) that means more practice and playing time.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't watch sports talk shows unless they happen to be on while I'm at the gym so I don't usually know who is talking or what show I'm even watching. I saw someone last week stating that with all the bubble teams that seem to have very similar records, the key component that the NCAA Tourny selection committee will look at is the road record of the teams. I don't know if this guy really knows what he is talking about but he seemed to be in-the-know. If this is the case, Bama stands a decent chance but it could be all phooey.:conf3:

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I see it from other teams who are just as young or younger. College basketball has sadly become a young sport. You've gotta have guys who can adapt and adapt quickly or you'll be left in the dust of a broken press. This isn't a situation where "these are the new guys who are finally taking over for the vets". These guys have been starting games for two full seasons now at least. When you leave high school, you enter the real world. There's no coddling and shielding from criticism. You take it and do something about it or you lay down. Long story short, no, I expect better from these guys against Mercer and up by 17 against Georgia at home. If I didn't, it would actually be an insult to their potential.
Wow.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Well, different game same story. We get punched in the mouth (which we all knew UF would) and we collapse (yet again...haven't we seen this movie before?). How many times this season have we either lead and collapsed, or got behind and collapsed? With 16 minutes left in the game UF had 27 points. In a ten minute span they outscored us 25-9...extrapolated over forty minutes and that's 100-36. For twenty four minutes we look like world beaters then the next ten, between the missed layups, missed FT's, and TO's, we look like we couldn't beat a good high school team.

Two things really disturb me about this season. 1) Our mental lapses have lasted all year. From our needing a buzzer beater against SDS at home the first game, to the second UF debacle 30+ games later. 2) When we're bad, we're really really bad. Some say it's a lack of maturity, but as one poster pointed out, our bevy of soph's have played 60+ games,not to mention TR. They may lack the maturity to stop the bleeding, but one would think they could at least slow it down some.

Too those that say this team "overachieved" I'll say this...Yes we were picked 6th in the preseason, we finished 4th. We had key injuries resulting in little depth or inside presence but we had a 21-12 record. Someone that doesn't follow Bama basketball that closely may say "They really overachieved this year". But if one looks at our schedule game by game and sees who we beat and how we beat them, and who we lost to and how we lost, any inkling of over achievement physically is quickly negated by our underachievement mentally. If we beat Mercer, Dayton, Tulane, Auburn, and LSU, we're 26-7 and in the NCAA's. Then there is a case for "over achievement", but we didn't Some may say we have a "football mentality"...we sure coulda used some of that mental toughness that CNS talks about this year. Maybe this NIT bound Tide will learn from this year. RTR

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We finished tied for 2nd in the conference. You obviously haven't seen much HS basketball if you think we couldn't beat one.

Well, different game same story. We get punched in the mouth (which we all knew UF would) and we collapse (yet again...haven't we seen this movie before?). How many times this season have we either lead and collapsed, or got behind and collapsed? With 16 minutes left in the game UF had 27 points. In a ten minute span they outscored us 25-9...extrapolated over forty minutes and that's 100-36. For twenty four minutes we look like world beaters then the next ten, between the missed layups, missed FT's, and TO's, we look like we couldn't beat a good high school team.

Two things really disturb me about this season. 1) Our mental lapses have lasted all year. From our needing a buzzer beater against SDS at home the first game, to the second UF debacle 30+ games later. 2) When we're bad, we're really really bad. Some say it's a lack of maturity, but as one poster pointed out, our bevy of soph's have played 60+ games,not to mention TR. They may lack the maturity to stop the bleeding, but one would think they could at least slow it down some.

Too those that say this team "overachieved" I'll say this...Yes we were picked 6th in the preseason, we finished 4th. We had key injuries resulting in little depth or inside presence but we had a 21-12 record. Someone that doesn't follow Bama basketball that closely may say "They really overachieved this year". But if one looks at our schedule game by game and sees who we beat and how we beat them, and who we lost to and how we lost, any inkling of over achievement physically is quickly negated by our underachievement mentally. If we beat Mercer, Dayton, Tulane, Auburn, and LSU, we're 26-7 and in the NCAA's. Then there is a case for "over achievement", but we didn't Some may say we have a "football mentality"...we sure coulda used some of that mental toughness that CNS talks about this year. Maybe this NIT bound Tide will learn from this year. RTR

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah. I could sort of tell that... :D
Glad to see we could both have a laugh about it.

Seriously though, I don't really understand why this opinion is apparently controversial. It's the opinion of YOUR generation — the "pull yourself up by your boot straps", shake it off and realize you can do better. That's the attitude that made this country so great at one time. If our forefathers got their shocked feelings hurt every time they faced criticism, we'd all be eating tea and crumpets and wearing waistcoats to work to this day.

Staying on the course of basketball rather than politics, if what I said was so bad and "harsh", in the alternative the word "meanie" would apply during the "everyone gets a trophy" approach MY generation too frequently gets blamed for I'd imagine. It's just a little ironic. These young men are 18-20 and old enough to fight for things much more important than this. If it was found that the worst motivational thing Coach Grant said to his men was the type of thing I stated earlier and there was some big surprised outcry over it... Well, I mean what type of puddle-of-mush, pitiful bunch would that result?

In other news, when does the NIT thread fire up?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I was going to argue, but I am tired of it... I am looking ahead to the NIT.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
We finished tied for 2nd in the conference. You obviously haven't seen much HS basketball if you think we couldn't beat one.
Semantics...of the three teams that were tied for 2nd, we were at the bottom of the list...thus a #4 seed in the conference tournament.

You're right,the last HS basketball game I saw in person I played in, and that was a long, long time ago. That comment wasn't meant to be taken quite so literally. It was an exaggeration used for effect, kinda like when I said we looked like world beaters, I didn't think we could beat every team in the world.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
At least not Florida. :smile:

Semantics...of the three teams that were tied for 2nd, we were at the bottom of the list...thus a #4 seed in the conference tournament.

You're right,the last HS basketball game I saw in person I played in, and that was a long, long time ago. That comment wasn't meant to be taken quite so literally. It was an exaggeration used for effect, kinda like when I said we looked like world beaters, I didn't think we could beat every team in the world.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Don't see how saying Alabama was second in the SEC is semantics. It's the truth.

While technically it's the truth, we didn't get rewarded for finishing 2nd...that went to UK. We got the same reward as every other 4th place team has gotten. Saying we finished 2nd serves no other purpose than to make some feel good. I look at it this way, the conference gives away prizes (seeds in the tourney) according to your rank...we got the 4th place prize. Others may see it differently.

IMO we "under achieved" at home against SDSU ( a buzzer beater against South Dakota State..really), Mercer, Dayton, Tulane (c'mon man...at home?), Georgia (a half court shot after blowing a 17 point lead?), the blowouts at VCU, Missouri, and OM (we didn't even keep it respectable), and the debacles at Auburn and LSU (I don't even wanna think about it). That's ten games I can think of off the top of my head. Did we "over achieve" more than that ? Let's see...Villanova, at Cincy, at Vandy, at home against UK, and perhaps twice against UF for 30 minutes that was quickly negated by a 10 minute run. I have never criticized any individual players or coaches, we win or lose as a team, but I won't blow smoke either...this team, coaches and players "under achieved" this season. JMO RTR

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
While technically it's the truth, we didn't get rewarded for finishing 2nd...that went to UK. We got the same reward as every other 4th place team has gotten. Saying we finished 2nd serves no other purpose than to make some feel good. I look at it this way, the conference gives away prizes (seeds in the tourney) according to your rank...we got the 4th place prize. Others may see it differently.

IMO we "under achieved" at home against SDSU ( a buzzer beater against South Dakota State..really), Mercer, Dayton, Tulane (c'mon man...at home?), Georgia (a half court shot after blowing a 17 point lead?), the blowouts at VCU, Missouri, and OM (we didn't even keep it respectable), and the debacles at Auburn and LSU (I don't even wanna think about it). That's ten games I can think of off the top of my head. Did we "over achieve" more than that ? Let's see...Villanova, at Cincy, at Vandy, at home against UK, and perhaps twice against UF for 30 minutes that was quickly negated by a 10 minute run. I have never criticized any individual players or coaches, we win or lose as a team, but I won't blow smoke either...this team, coaches and players "under achieved" this season. JMO RTR
Did Coach Grant steal your girlfriend in college or something?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama had the second best record in the SEC. It finished second. You can't argue that. Because other teams had the same record, Alabama got the 4th place "reward."

Going into the season, this team wasn't expected to win 21 games. It wasn't expected to finish 2nd (or even 4th if you insist on saying so). It was expected to finish 6th. It overachieved those expectations. There were some upsetting losses along the way, but this team overachieved preseason expectations of many. What were your expectations SEC championship and a 4 seed in the tournament?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Alabama had the second best record in the SEC. It finished second. You can't argue that. Because other teams had the same record, Alabama got the 4th place "reward."

Going into the season, this team wasn't expected to win 21 games. It wasn't expected to finish 2nd (or even 4th if you insist on saying so). It was expected to finish 6th. It overachieved those expectations. There were some upsetting losses along the way, but this team overachieved preseason expectations of many. What were your expectations SEC championship and a 4 seed in the tournament?
These are just numbers. One shouldn't judge a team based solely on numbers, that's how you end up with a Fla.St.- NIU game. :wink: You can't say "well we won 20 games this year so we were successful". Miss. St. was predicted to finish 14th, They finished 12th, so I guess they "overachieved" this year too, My expectations and judgement of this team was based on how I thought we were capable of playing and what I saw on the court. At times we played well, but at times we played really bad. Overall, even after the injuries, I thought this team played below what they were capable of. I know some want to hear nothing but glowing reports on CAG and our team, but our level of play this season was mediocre no matter how many games we won, and CAG is part of the team. The truth is the truth whether we like it or not. I guarantee CAG and the players don't think they "overachieved" because they won 21 games and finished tied for 2nd in the conference. If some think we played "over our heads" this year, some have really low expectations. To say we "overachieved" this year is a disservice to our team. While I didn't expect us to win a National Title, I did expect us to play better, at least up to our capabilities.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.