Quick Notes from the Start of Spring Practice (Position Changes Galore)

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Saw Brandon Hill on one of the practice videos he is freaking gigantic. Got a lot of weight to lose in the next year but the guy is a monster.

Derrick Henry is going to be a monster he has incredible straight line speed for a guy his size. With some coaching from BB his ceiling is incredibly high.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saw Brandon Hill on one of the practice videos he is freaking gigantic. Got a lot of weight to lose in the next year but the guy is a monster.

Derrick Henry is going to be a monster he has incredible straight line speed for a guy his size. With some coaching from BB his ceiling is incredibly high.
I hope that's correct. One question mark I see is whether or not he can make people miss like Trent, Lacy and Ingram could. In all the highlight films I've seen, he simply didn't need to do that. Once he broke the line of scrimmage, it turned into a footrace, which the smaller, slower defenders lost. We'll know a lot more after the spring. Big as he is, he's not as big as our LBs and smaller than our DLs and he'll run into others on other teams. Running over people can get you 7-8 yards and that's a valuable commodity, but, if that's all he can do, then he becomes a situational back. If he can make people miss in that 5-10 range and then turn on the afterburners, then we have us a Trent in a larger package...

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

Is "going to be"? Yeah, I'd say so! (LOL)

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I hope that's correct. One question mark I see is whether or not he can make people miss like Trent, Lacy and Ingram could. In all the highlight films I've seen, he simply didn't need to do that. Once he broke the line of scrimmage, it turned into a footrace, which the smaller, slower defenders lost. We'll know a lot more after the spring. Big as he is, he's not as big as our LBs and smaller than our DLs and he'll run into others on other teams. Running over people can get you 7-8 yards and that's a valuable commodity, but, if that's all he can do, then he becomes a situational back. If he can make people miss in that 5-10 range and then turn on the afterburners, then we have us a Trent in a larger package...
Yeah his highlights make it hard to tell what moves he has, he really doesn't even need to get low to run over people at the high school level. The rare plays that I saw him get tackled for little yardage it seemed like he gets his feet too close together and it makes it easy to tackle him. I'm sure getting a wider base will be one of the things Coach Burns works with him on.

His speed is insane though, the game I watched against Fred Taylor's son once he got the corner he just accelerated like you wouldn't believe.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
If you take Fowler out of the picture and don't realize how tall Henry is...he really is built like TRich.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saw a clip of the RBs from practice yesterday on the news last night. Unless the same camera was used for the picture and news footage, the angle of the picture isn't the reason for the size difference.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
I really don't see anything wrong with that. No rule that the blocking back has to be bigger. Jalston is a devastating blocker...
There is a "rule-of-thumb" you can't get on the field if you can't block. I'm sure he has room for development in this area but he could get really good at it.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I don't really see the comparison other than the number 3. Trent's lower body was way thicker than Henry's. Trent also was incredibly bowlegged.
Yeah, I don't really see the body type comparison. Trents legs were like tree trunks. I'm not saying Henry isn't strong but stretched out more.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Quick Notes from the Start of Spring Practice

In a couple interviews, Bo has mentioned WR. That's where he competed at one of the events if I'm not mistaken. My guess (so take that for what little it's worth) is that Bo ends up at a position other than RB.
...maybe he can be a linebacker...
;)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
@JimWilson88: Jai Miller wearing #19 at safety. A sign that Jonathan Atchison is no longer with the team. Ming has also left.
Thanks for sharing the updated info / pics, etc., '91.

I - and I'm sure many others on this board - greatly appreciate it!

Does anyone have any insight into whether these departures could have been foreseen, and whether the impact is expected to be significant?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.