Sad day for all Sooners and college football fans

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
It has been confirmed that Steve Davis, former great OU wishbone QB has been killed in a plane accident in Indiana. Under Steve's leadership OU lost only one game and tied one in a three year span 1973-1975, winning 2 national championships. A native of Sallisaw, OK., he lived in Tulsa.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I hate to hear this. I remember him well because he was QB at OU whne I was at UA.

Thoughts and prayers for the family and teammates.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Former OU QB/ABC College Football Reporter Steve Davis Killed in Plane Crash

Did not see this referenced or posted here, but Steve Davis, the former OU qb who led the Sooners to their last back to back NC's in 1974/75, was killed in the plane that crashed in South Bend, IN, yesterday. In 3 yrs as a starter from 73-75, the Sooners were 32-1-1 with Steve running the wishbone. He was only 60 yrs old. As an Alabama fan and a boy growing up in Oklahoma during the mid-70's, this guy was one of my heroes.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Former OU QB/ABC College Football Reporter Steve Davis Killed in Plane Crash

Remember him well, not real big but was much like our Terry Davis, good ball handler, good runner and decent passer. Those were some great OU teams. Sad news.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Former OU QB/ABC College Football Reporter Steve Davis Killed in Plane Crash

Remember him well, not real big but was much like our Terry Davis, good ball handler, good runner and decent passer. Those were some great OU teams. Sad news.
That was the comparison that I always thought of too, Graytide, especially when it came to his on- field demeanor and smooth handling and execution of the triple option. Switzer always said that Thomas Lott was the best 'bone qb that he ever coached, but none of them won as much or helped put more trophies on the wall than Steve. On top of that, he was a total class act.

I'll never forget, he was a sideline reporter one time for a Bama/LSU game in Baton Rouge a long time ago when Bear was still around and he interviewed Coach at some point during the game(it might have been the famous 3-0 game that we won in '79) asking him what adjustments he was going to make and Coach Bryant gave one of his famous quips about how he was basically doing what he had to do to win the football game. Steve just smiled and went on...

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American

Did not see this referenced or posted here, but Steve Davis, the former OU qb who led the Sooners to their last back to back NC's in 1974/75, was killed in the plane that crashed in South Bend, IN, yesterday. In 3 yrs as a starter from 73-75, the Sooners were 32-1-1 with Steve running the wishbone. He was only 60 yrs old. As an Alabama fan and a boy growing up in Oklahoma during the mid-70's, this guy was one of my heroes.
Thanks, just read the link from the Houston Chronicle. Davis was QB when I was a went to UA and remember what a competitor and ball handler he was. Hate to see him go like that, but we never know. Never could cheer for an OK team but couldn't cheer against them either, they were a talented and well coached bunch.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA

Davis was an ordained Baptist minister during his playing days in Norman. he spoke at an FCA dinner when my son was in high school. Great man, RIP to a Sooner legend.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I thought the Sooner QB for those teams was the J.C. Watts, the black guy who later served in Congress as a Republican, I guess he was a different year.

Sad to hear about Davis.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Here's Steve interviewing Coach Bryant:

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I thought the Sooner QB for those teams was the J.C. Watts, the black guy who later served in Congress as a Republican, I guess he was a different year.

Sad to hear about Davis.
JC Watts came along a little later and played in the late '70's and early '80's. Ironically, he went on to also be an ordained minister after his playing days.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Condolences, Owen. Not only was Steve a great player, he was a class act in person as well. It's a travesty that he is not in the CFHOF--with a record of 32-1-1 he should have been a shoo-in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.