Bill Battle to be new AD

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The BoT teleconference is ongoing. He should be hired soon.

@Andrew_Gribblenow
UA president Judy Bonner recommends Bill Battle make $620,000 salary and be hired to an initial 4-year term.

And it's official...

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
UABOT expresses well-wishes to Mal Moore, and approves Bill Battle as new AD. Unanimous. Only item on the agenda.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/its_official_ua_trustees_appro.html

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tweets from the presser:

@Andrew_Gribblenow
UA prez Judy Bonner said conversations about this day were ongoing even before Mal Moore's latest health issue.

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
UA President Judy Bonner describes Bill Battle as a man with a highly successful background and understanding of student athletics.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle says it is "an extreme privilege and honor" to be standing at podium as Alabama's new AD

@tommydeasnow
Battle: "I am proud to be here"

@marctorrencenow
Battle: Moore looks like he's been through the worse two-a-day practice he's ever been through, but in "good spirits."

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle on reaction to be offered job: "Wow, this a great honor, but do I really want to do this?"

@Andrew_Gribblenow
Battle said he's been wrestling with decision to take job over past two weeks.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle met with Nick Saban, trustees and high-ranking officials when he toured UA before accepting the job

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Bill Battle: Was working on his farm when the call came. Wasn't sure he wanted the job initially, then visited UA BOT members, Saban, others

@KevinScarbinskynow
Bill Battle: We built a culture in our company that Coach Saban, you'd be proud of.

@marctorrencenow
Battle telling a story about Barrett Jones, calls him "a great representative of the University."

@marctorrencenow
Battle: If I didn't do this, I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

@LakenLitmannow
Battle, 71, says, "I'm rested, I'm not tired."

@KevinScarbinskynow
Bill Battle: Trustees told him there was a void they needed him to fill. Thought if I didn't do this I'd regret it rest of my life.

@Andrew_Gribblenow
Battle: "This is an extraordinary responsibility and challenge."

@AlexS_ESPNnow
Battle understands what he’s walking into: “This is an extraordinary responsibility and challenge.”

@KevinScarbinskynow
Battle: This is a labor of love but an incredible challenge to keep it going.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle: I've got a steep learning curve to learn all the things that athletic directors do

@jzenornow
Bil Battle said he wants to help athletes to compete at highest levels athlecially and post-graduation and operate "with honor &integrity."

@marctorrencenow
Saban up to speak next on behalf of the coaches...

@marctorrencenow
Saban: "We're very pleased and excited to have Bill and his family join our team."

@marctorrencenow
Saban: Administration made an "outstanding choice."

@tommydeasnow
Saban calls Battle "a first-class individual who is respected by anyone who knows him"

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Saban: I was able to spend a significant amount of time with Bill in this process.

@tommydeasnow
Saban calls Mal Moore "a valuable statesman" for UA

@marctorrencenow
Saban invites Battle to come to practice today, but says "it's against NCAA rules for you to coach."

@marctorrencenow
Saban concludes: "Thank you so much, and Roll Tide." Gives a smile and a thumbs up to the camera.

@KevinScarbinskynow
Saban: I'd like for you to come to practice today. It's against NCAA rules for you to coach. Mal loved to come to practice. Paul Jr does too

@tommydeasnow
Battle: How do you improve on the success (under Moore)? You don't. You try to keep going the way you've been going.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: You either get better or you get worse. There's always a challenge.

@marctorrencenow
Battle says he wants to give Saban everything he needs for his teams to succeed

@tommydeasnow
Battle: Had met Saban before the hiring process began, but hasn't spent a lot of time iwth him

@tommydeasnow
Battle on Saban: I want to learn from that guy. He's good.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: I didn't take it to have fun. That's not why we're here.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: Everybody knocks the BCS as it was. I thought it was great.

@marctorrencenow
Battle says he liked the BCS, because it made every single game important.

@marctorrencenow
Battle: for the coaches, the playoff will be tough, because you have a conference championship and then two playoff games.

@marctorrencenow
Battle: there's nothing more important in United States sports than the college football regular season

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Battle: The mission is clear. What I will do in the next six weeks is go on a listening tour.

@tommydeasnow
Battle plans "listening tour" for "next six weeks or so" to learn everything he can about athletic department

@marctorrencenow
Battle talking about experimenting with people, and cites Saban moving some players to defense this spring.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: "There are some things that I have in my mind (to do) but I want to learn what's here."

@marctorrencenow
Battle calls college athletics "a different world" from when he was coaching.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: Welcom Coach Battle

Actually, Stanford went 5-6 his senior year. They were 5-5 going into the last game of the year and were slated to receive a bid to the Hall of Fame Bowl in Birmingham. Elway led them down the field late in the game for a field goal to put them in the lead with just a few seconds left on the clock.

Then this happened................
I was at that game. I am 100% convinced it was fixed. If y'all want to hear the story, I'll tell it.

As for CBB.............we wish him well, and hope he does something about the sad state of our baseball team. Not holding my breath, on the latter, though.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

I mentioned in the other thread, before his name came out, that he's only a couple of years younger than Mal and I. It's hard to see it as a long-term solution. However, he's very knowledgeable about athletics, both from the playing/coaching side, but also through his tremendously successful licensing business. JMO, but I think he's been asked to come in and hold things together and promote our licensing for five years or so while we locate a long-term prospect...
"...Mal and I..."

Nice

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Why would Ozzie be the "higher goal"? An NFL GM and a CFB AD are not really all that similar despite what a lot of people seem to think.

A GM is responsible for building a roster. AD's aren't. CBB won't be involved in providing players for Coach Saban, nor should he.

A GM's monetary concerns are how to best spend someone else's money, but an AD has to go out and raise the funds for an entire athletics program. CBB has proven that he's very adept when it comes to finances.

Both are heavily involved in PR, but that's to be expected of anyone heading up a multi-million dollar operation.

I think Ozzie would do a great job, but it's my understanding that he doesn't presently meet the educational requirements for the job.
Well I don't know if he is or even would be the "higher goal", I was just commenting who others have been talking about for some time now. I haven't kept up with the pro's enough to know much of anything they do much less a GM. ;) I do like the Bill Battle hire even if it is just for a few years until someone else is found for a longer term. :)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Earle, I was wondering... I am not sure what the long-term vision is for the development of the athletic department is for increasing revenue, national appeal, facilities, more competitiveness in other sports, etc. But is it fair to say CBB's background may be able to take us places that maybe Mal may have been a little more limited due to his experience where we might have struggled to move their more quickly? Considering his background in media rights along with the competitive prowess of CNS that we now have a unique combination that might truly elevate Bama to standard/brand that is probably enjoyed only by the Yankees, Celtics, etc? Or are we entering a period where even though we are so successful that our potential is going to be limited somewhat by what the SEC office does in collectively bargaining the media rights of all schools?

I have not seen one word of dissension on this hire so I am presuming that it is an extremely positive and valuable move for the university even if his tenure may only be 5-7 years. You can get alot done in that amount of time.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Earle, I was wondering... I am not sure what the long-term vision is for the development of the athletic department is for increasing revenue, national appeal, facilities, more competitiveness in other sports, etc. But is it fair to say CBB's background may be able to take us places that maybe Mal may have been a little more limited due to his experience where we might have struggled to move their more quickly? Considering his background in media rights along with the competitive prowess of CNS that we now have a unique combination that might truly elevate Bama to standard/brand that is probably enjoyed only by the Yankees, Celtics, etc? Or are we entering a period where even though we are so successful that our potential is going to be limited somewhat by what the SEC office does in collectively bargaining the media rights of all schools?

I have not seen one word of dissension on this hire so I am presuming that it is an extremely positive and valuable move for the university even if his tenure may only be 5-7 years. You can get alot done in that amount of time.
You may be on to something, JD. The near future may see the collapse of the NCAA as a "regulatory body" of large-time collegiate athletics, especially those driven by football and its $$. If something like that happens it will be valuable to have the licensing and revenue background of Battle in what may be a wid and wooly period of every dog for itself, superconferences, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

A story in the paper today concerning Battle's connection to the Daniel Moore lawsuit.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/bill_battle_and_alabama_enjoy.html

It had this comment from Moore.

"To be clear, my adversaries do not include the University as a whole, only the few misguided individuals therein and the instigators of the unfounded lawsuit," Moore said via e-mail. "Nevertheless and notwithstanding my admitted bias, the much younger Ozzie Newsome, either now or in the future, would still be my first choice. That is, if I were king and Ozzie was available for the job. But thankfully, that is not my decision and my opinion carries no weight. Like Coach Saban, I would simply like to see done what is best for my alma mater, the University of Alabama."
Maybe he should do a painting of Ray Lewis and the Super Bowl without his consent and he'll see how Newsome reacts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

TBF, that was one of the first things that occurred to me. I'll bet that it occurred to the PTB also. I just had a funny exchange with his cousin, mayor here, comparing what mayors get paid compared to AD's... :D

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

It is good to read that most posters are excited about this hire. Given CBB's skills we are most fortunate to have him at this time in Alabama history. Personally I would have liked to see CMM stay forever, but his health is not going to allow that.

With all the new TV deals coming up we have a really smart man looking after Alabama's interest just like Coach Moore.

PalmBayBama

All-SEC
Oct 11, 2005
Palm Bay, FL

I don't remember BB as a good coach at UT. It's been a long time, but if memory serves he did pretty good his first few years then the wheels fell off the wagon. Wasn't there a fake punt on fourth down inside the 30 that was the last straw?
Because good coaches never fake punts inside the 30 . . .

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't remember BB as a good coach at UT. It's been a long time, but if memory serves he did pretty good his first few years then the wheels fell off the wagon. Wasn't there a fake punt on fourth down inside the 30 that was the last straw?

I don't think UT fans have fond memories.

All that said, I think Coach Battle is a stellar choice. Welcome.
Bill Battle was a very good young coach. He won 59 games in 7 seasons going 4-1 in bowl games. Considering the coaches in the SEC at the time that is an impressive record. His removal had more to do with the Vols wanting Johnny Majors who had just won a National title at Pittsburgh in '76 than anything.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Tweets from the presser:

@Andrew_Gribblenow
UA prez Judy Bonner said conversations about this day were ongoing even before Mal Moore's latest health issue.

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
UA President Judy Bonner describes Bill Battle as a man with a highly successful background and understanding of student athletics.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle says it is "an extreme privilege and honor" to be standing at podium as Alabama's new AD

@tommydeasnow
Battle: "I am proud to be here"

@marctorrencenow
Battle: Moore looks like he's been through the worse two-a-day practice he's ever been through, but in "good spirits."

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle on reaction to be offered job: "Wow, this a great honor, but do I really want to do this?"

@Andrew_Gribblenow
Battle said he's been wrestling with decision to take job over past two weeks.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle met with Nick Saban, trustees and high-ranking officials when he toured UA before accepting the job

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Bill Battle: Was working on his farm when the call came. Wasn't sure he wanted the job initially, then visited UA BOT members, Saban, others

@KevinScarbinskynow
Bill Battle: We built a culture in our company that Coach Saban, you'd be proud of.

@marctorrencenow
Battle telling a story about Barrett Jones, calls him "a great representative of the University."

@marctorrencenow
Battle: If I didn't do this, I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

@LakenLitmannow
Battle, 71, says, "I'm rested, I'm not tired."

@KevinScarbinskynow
Bill Battle: Trustees told him there was a void they needed him to fill. Thought if I didn't do this I'd regret it rest of my life.

@Andrew_Gribblenow
Battle: "This is an extraordinary responsibility and challenge."

@AlexS_ESPNnow
Battle understands what he’s walking into: “This is an extraordinary responsibility and challenge.”

@KevinScarbinskynow
Battle: This is a labor of love but an incredible challenge to keep it going.

@tommydeasnow
Bill Battle: I've got a steep learning curve to learn all the things that athletic directors do

@jzenornow
Bil Battle said he wants to help athletes to compete at highest levels athlecially and post-graduation and operate "with honor &integrity."

@marctorrencenow
Saban up to speak next on behalf of the coaches...

@marctorrencenow
Saban: "We're very pleased and excited to have Bill and his family join our team."

@marctorrencenow
Saban: Administration made an "outstanding choice."

@tommydeasnow
Saban calls Battle "a first-class individual who is respected by anyone who knows him"

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Saban: I was able to spend a significant amount of time with Bill in this process.

@tommydeasnow
Saban calls Mal Moore "a valuable statesman" for UA

@marctorrencenow
Saban invites Battle to come to practice today, but says "it's against NCAA rules for you to coach."

@marctorrencenow
Saban concludes: "Thank you so much, and Roll Tide." Gives a smile and a thumbs up to the camera.

@KevinScarbinskynow
Saban: I'd like for you to come to practice today. It's against NCAA rules for you to coach. Mal loved to come to practice. Paul Jr does too

@tommydeasnow
Battle: How do you improve on the success (under Moore)? You don't. You try to keep going the way you've been going.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: You either get better or you get worse. There's always a challenge.

@marctorrencenow
Battle says he wants to give Saban everything he needs for his teams to succeed

@tommydeasnow
Battle: Had met Saban before the hiring process began, but hasn't spent a lot of time iwth him

@tommydeasnow
Battle on Saban: I want to learn from that guy. He's good.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: I didn't take it to have fun. That's not why we're here.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: Everybody knocks the BCS as it was. I thought it was great.

@marctorrencenow
Battle says he liked the BCS, because it made every single game important.

@marctorrencenow
Battle: for the coaches, the playoff will be tough, because you have a conference championship and then two playoff games.

@marctorrencenow
Battle: there's nothing more important in United States sports than the college football regular season

@ChaseGoodbreadnow
Battle: The mission is clear. What I will do in the next six weeks is go on a listening tour.

@tommydeasnow
Battle plans "listening tour" for "next six weeks or so" to learn everything he can about athletic department

@marctorrencenow
Battle talking about experimenting with people, and cites Saban moving some players to defense this spring.

@tommydeasnow
Battle: "There are some things that I have in my mind (to do) but I want to learn what's here."

@marctorrencenow
Battle calls college athletics "a different world" from when he was coaching.
I love what he said about the BCS and the college football regular season and every game being important. I fear the playoff will screw that up.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Congrats to CBB for his appointment as AD. I think his business connections will certainly not hamper his job with respect to donations. I do think he is being prudent by learning how things are run now before he thinks about any changes. At his age he is definitely not a long term incumbent for the job. Hopefully, he will say long enough for Ozzie to retire from the Ravens (he needs one more SB victory for that according to him) and then take over for CBB.

Above all, I am pleased that this was apparently a seemless transition. Now we can hope for improvement in Mal Moore's health and continued success for Bill Battle.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It was reported on Fox 6 Sports tonight (quoting Bill Battle) Coach Moore is awaiting a lung transplant.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was reported on Fox 6 Sports tonight (quoting Bill Battle) Coach Moore is awaiting a lung transplant.
I'm glad it's public. He has to be strong enough for it. He's stronger now than when he was evacuated to Duke, but he's still not strong enough to withstand the considerable trauma. God willing, he'll gain that strength...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I had heard this a couple days ago from a family member who is in position to know, but wasn't going to mention it here unless I'd heard it from the media. They did say he is getting stronger, but of course they also need to find a match for him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.