JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Notes: Moore’s body of work stands among best of all time
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 22nd, 2013 07:17 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 22, 2013   In the end, time – and health issues brought about by the march of it – was Mal Moore’s inevitable enemy. In time, the nearly 60-year legacy of one of Alabama’s most faithful servants may come to be fully appreciated.   Moore remains under a [...]

Read More Here

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I hope CNS and Bill Battle hit it off, and have an easy relationship.
Not that I think it will happen, but in other places, in other times,
a new AD feels threatened by a successful head coach, and they never quite develop a great relationship.

A strong relationship between the AD and CNS will likely be a factor in how long Coach Saban stays at Alabama.

I personally think that Bill Battle has the acumen to be our new AD.
Bill has the blessings of Mal Moore. Means something.
Bill played football at Alabama. Doesn't hurt.
Bill also has the CPB connection.
(For the old school traditionalist) Doesn't hurt...

At age 72 Bill appears to be younger than his age. Doesn't hurt...
Whether Bill Battle is confirmed (Likely) or not, he should receive major consideration.

IMO: Bill Battle would keep our athletic programs moving in the right direction.

Now My Opinion of Mal Moore...

Mal came into the job with no previous AD experience, made a few missteps, then he went on to become maybe the finest AD in America.

Mal Moore's refusal to take 'NO' for an answer when he recruited Coach Saban, will go into the history books,
as one of the best hires of any Coach, at any University.

Mal has proved to have a knack for fundraising.
('Schmoozing the right people')

Most importantly: Mal Moore is an
'Ambassador for the University of Alabama'.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who gave that many years of service to the University deserves praise. It's impressive when you consider what he wasn't when he went into an administrative role after years as a coach. He wasn't the business man Bill Battle has proven to be, he learned it on the job in a CEO-like position. Many couldn't learn on the job in a brand new position with much less responsibility.

He did probably take too much heat for the "wilderness" period but he inherited the DuBose hire, he inherited the NCAA problem for all intents and purposes, and had to make a few tough hires with the specter of sanctions looming over the program. Nobody will admit it, but Franchoine was doing decently early on. His departure brought Price who I think could have gotten us through sanctions with a Petrino-like single back spread to level the talent issues. Then Shula was honestly the best anyone could do with sanctions and a out-of-season hire. With nothing hindering him, he got the best coach in college football on the sidelines.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I like Moore and appreciate what he did for UA, but let's not go overboard. He was basically 1 for 4 in his football hires, and was a RichRod "yes" away from being 0 for 4 (fans forget the job was RR's to turn down before Saban). The men's basketball & baseball programs have struggled under Moore, as has the women's basketball program (3 of the top 5 non-football sports at UA). Of course women's gymnastics and women's softball have excelled, and he more than made up for his football mishaps with the Saban hire.

Moore's later AD years definitely his best. At first he was inexperienced as an AD and it showed. Once he learned the ropes and surrounded himself with good people who complimented his strengths and weaknesses, he definitely became one of the top ADs in the nation, but the first half of his tenure at UA was quite bumpy. He's second to none in fundraising and PR with fans and alumni, both valuable assets at a school like Bama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
How can you fault Mal Moore for RichRod getting pulled away by the West Virginia governor to stay in the 25th hour?

How can you fault Mal Moore for not knowing Mike Price's most private lifestyle decisions then having to hire completely out of hiring season when nobody of quality wants to leave their job? Heck, it wasn't even Mal Moore's call to fire Price. I believe he recommended retention with penalty - I don't have the greatest inside sources and it would be hard to find a straight story today - but Robert Witt declined his recommendation on Price.

I think it is very results-oriented to put a lot of blame on him for the on-the-field product. He wasn't dealt a full hand upon arrival with a bad coach, NCAA sanctions, etc. He guided Alabama through a landscape that would have detonated a lot of programs and got a top tier coach when he had no dark clouds over the program.

Plus, I think RichRod will prove to be a much better coach at Arizona. Michigan just wasn't a culture fit for that guy. The powers that be there were setting him up for failure from the get go. They didn't respect him and many boosters thought he was a dumb hick.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Bill Battle: Mal Moore needs a lung transplant

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -Mal Moore needs a lung transplant, according to his successor as Alabama's athletics director.
Bill Battle, who was introduced Friday as Alabama's new athletics director, divulged the news Tuesday morning in a radio interview on The Opening Drive on Birmingham's WJOX (94.5 FM).
"He has a lung condition and is in need of a lung transplant," Battle said of Moore, who has been hospitalized in Durham, N.C., since March 13.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I like Moore and appreciate what he did for UA, but let's not go overboard. He was basically 1 for 4 in his football hires, and was a RichRod "yes" away from being 0 for 4 (fans forget the job was RR's to turn down before Saban). The men's basketball & baseball programs have struggled under Moore, as has the women's basketball program (3 of the top 5 non-football sports at UA). Of course women's gymnastics and women's softball have excelled, and he more than made up for his football mishaps with the Saban hire.

Moore's later AD years definitely his best. At first he was inexperienced as an AD and it showed. Once he learned the ropes and surrounded himself with good people who complimented his strengths and weaknesses, he definitely became one of the top ADs in the nation, but the first half of his tenure at UA was quite bumpy. He's second to none in fundraising and PR with fans and alumni, both valuable assets at a school like Bama.
First of all, I do not subscribe to the thought that Dennis Franchione was a bad hire. Dennis Franchione broke under pressure 2 years after getting the job. There was no way to tell at the time of the hire what was going to happen, anymore than someone could guarantee me the same wouldn't happen to Nick Saban 2 years from now. Likely? Not at all. Can you guarantee it? No, because no one can guarantee anything that far in the future.

I would count Moore as 2-for-3 in head coaching hires, with 1 hire (Shula) exempted. The Price hire was a had hire; Moore knew him previously and information about Price's somewhat non-traditional off-field behavior was already known a bit, especially around Pullman. There have always been rumors of meddling in that hire, whether certain interests wanted UA to go more wide-open in its offensive approach. Either way, Mal didn't do a great job there. He either should have backgrounded Price better and nixed the idea, or at least stood up to "advisors" the way he had two years earlier (one prominent insider was pushing for Alabama to make a play for then-Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, but Mal stood up to those efforts).

Saban was a win. I count Franchione a win at the time. Everything that went wrong in the last month or so of Franchione's UA tenure is on Franchione, period.

As for Shula, it's a bad hire if you connect it to Price and use the logic that if UA doesn't botch the Price hire, there's no Shula hire later (although there might not be a Saban hire after that, either). Alabama had the three candidates everyone is aware of when Shula was hired -- Shula, Sylvester Croom and Richard Williamson. There were also two other coaches at other programs who let it be known they'd listen to Alabama, even though the hire was made post-spring. Those were Gary Pinkel at Missouri and Les Miles, then the coach at Oklahoma State. But Moore decided that if Alabama had gone after either of those guys, it would make UA no better than Texas A&M coming after Franchione. I can respect that decision. As time has shown, Pinkel is no prize, and I understand Les Miles has his strong points but I've never been as sold on him as others have.

As for basketball, the other major sport in the discussion, Moore took over after Glen Tuckett had just given David Hobbs an extension; his two hires there have been Mark Gottfried (alum, considered an up-and-comer at the time) and Anthony Grant, who was highly sought-after when UA hired him away from VCU. I think both were sound hires. Sometimes, you do the best you can do and people just don't work out. Anyone who has ever been a hiring manager at a business has known this.

The two low points for Moore were the Price hire and, I'd argue, the Wendell Hudson hire. I'll yield on Shula simply because of why it was necessary, but not on Franchione.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
First of all, I do not subscribe to the thought that Dennis Franchione was a bad hire. Dennis Franchione broke under pressure 2 years after getting the job. There was no way to tell at the time of the hire what was going to happen, anymore than someone could guarantee me the same wouldn't happen to Nick Saban 2 years from now. Likely? Not at all. Can you guarantee it? No, because no one can guarantee anything that far in the future.

I would count Moore as 2-for-3 in head coaching hires, with 1 hire (Shula) exempted. The Price hire was a had hire; Moore knew him previously and information about Price's somewhat non-traditional off-field behavior was already known a bit, especially around Pullman. There have always been rumors of meddling in that hire, whether certain interests wanted UA to go more wide-open in its offensive approach. Either way, Mal didn't do a great job there. He either should have backgrounded Price better and nixed the idea, or at least stood up to "advisors" the way he had two years earlier (one prominent insider was pushing for Alabama to make a play for then-Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, but Mal stood up to those efforts).

Saban was a win. I count Franchione a win at the time. Everything that went wrong in the last month or so of Franchione's UA tenure is on Franchione, period.

As for Shula, it's a bad hire if you connect it to Price and use the logic that if UA doesn't botch the Price hire, there's no Shula hire later (although there might not be a Saban hire after that, either). Alabama had the three candidates everyone is aware of when Shula was hired -- Shula, Sylvester Croom and Richard Williamson. There were also two other coaches at other programs who let it be known they'd listen to Alabama, even though the hire was made post-spring. Those were Gary Pinkel at Missouri and Les Miles, then the coach at Oklahoma State. But Moore decided that if Alabama had gone after either of those guys, it would make UA no better than Texas A&M coming after Franchione. I can respect that decision. As time has shown, Pinkel is no prize, and I understand Les Miles has his strong points but I've never been as sold on him as others have.

As for basketball, the other major sport in the discussion, Moore took over after Glen Tuckett had just given David Hobbs an extension; his two hires there have been Mark Gottfried (alum, considered an up-and-comer at the time) and Anthony Grant, who was highly sought-after when UA hired him away from VCU. I think both were sound hires. Sometimes, you do the best you can do and people just don't work out. Anyone who has ever been a hiring manager at a business has known this.

The two low points for Moore were the Price hire and, I'd argue, the Wendell Hudson hire. I'll yield on Shula simply because of why it was necessary, but not on Franchione.
A fair assessment.

I'm not an anti-Moore guy (my father was in school when he played at Bama - didn't know him but met him a few times), I just wanted to point out that there were some bumps along the way. He could have handled Franchione contract negotiations better, (that was brewing for a year before Fran left), IMO he should have worked things out with Gottfried (but I understand some fans were unhappy), he definitely should have done more homework on Price as his reputation was reasonably known in the football world, and I'm sure no one is happier that RR backed out of the job than Moore himself (RR to Bama was no better a fit than RR to Michigan). I still grade Moore as an "A" for his job as Bama AD, just pointing out it wasn't perfect.

Of course not falling for the Tommy Bowden "push" more than cancles out the bad as that would not have been a good hire.

Last edited:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I've never been a CMM cheer leader, but his love for the University is unquestionable. Thankfully for him, RichRod played him, and he was able to pursue CNS at all costs. The man has been able to raise money; BDS and Coleman were redone under his tenure.

Coaches Patterson and Murphy have been able to do well at their sports, basically on their hard work and merits (so has golf) Baseball has suffered, Dave Hart did the work to get Grant, WBB is horrible, and I don't know about the other sports.

Coach knows football, and good for him. That's the cash cow.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I've never been a CMM cheer leader, but his love for the University is unquestionable. Thankfully for him, RichRod played him, and he was able to pursue CNS at all costs. The man has been able to raise money; BDS and Coleman were redone under his tenure.

Coaches Patterson and Murphy have been able to do well at their sports, basically on their hard work and merits (so has golf) Baseball has suffered, Dave Hart did the work to get Grant, WBB is horrible, and I don't know about the other sports.

Coach knows football, and good for him. That's the cash cow.
I'll add some positives to my above posts - Gotta give Moore tons of credit for keeping gymnastics going and for elevating softball to tops in nation. Facilities improvements have been top notch, and fan relations with athletic department are as good as I remember. At the end of the day he did a very good job at UA.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'll echo the sentiments about Coach Moore, He loves the University about as much as anyone ever has and if what I hear is true he needs our deep prayers right now.

A point of fact is he had little or nothing to do with Gymnastic championships or softball. Coach Bryant hired Sarah Patterson so I'll give that credit to him. Softball has flourished because Murphy raised money for improvements. Murphy requested money from athletics for improvements and was denied so he raised the money himself.

Mal did hire Saban and deserves our appreciation for that hire which has obviously been one of the best hires of a football coach of all time.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
IMO he should have worked things out with Gottfried (but I understand some fans were unhappy)
As JessN wrote, he was an alum and up-and-coming coach. However, most fans were unhappy because he quit coaching after Saban started having success with the football team, and because he was no longer the highest paid coach on campus. Yes, he coached the program to its only Elite 8 appearance, but he only had 3 winning SEC seasons. Also, if you'll search out some of TIDE-HSV's post, you will see that his off-the-court actions placed the University in a, potentially, messy legal situation. There was no option to work it out with him.

Last edited:

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A fair assessment.

I'm not an anti-Moore guy (my father was in school when he played at Bama - didn't know him but met him a few times), I just wanted to point out that there were some bumps along the way. He could have handled Franchione contract negotiations better, (that was brewing for a year before Fran left), IMO he should have worked things out with Gottfried (but I understand some fans were unhappy), he definitely should have done more homework on Price as his reputation was reasonably known in the football world, and I'm sure no one is happier that RR backed out of the job than Moore himself (RR to Bama was no better a fit than RR to Michigan). I still grade Moore as an "A" for his job as Bama AD, just pointing out it wasn't perfect.

Of course not falling for the Tommy Bowden "push" more than cancles out the bad as that would not have been a good hire.
Regarding the Franchione contract "negotiations..."

Franchione had a contract in front of him well before he left, and it gave him just about everything he'd asked for. He had plenty of chances to either sign it, or ask for further considerations, but never did. I don't think you can negotiate with someone who isn't really negotiating themselves. The only thing he ever asked for was more time to consider the offer, which Alabama gave him. But what's the alternative to that? No coach, you can't wait any longer? He'd just leave anyway.

What was going on, of course, was that he was trying to leave Alabama after not even a full year on the job. He'd reportedly made overtures to Kansas, which most people dismissed as ludicrous at the time, but apparently were indeed true. Had Notre Dame come calling, he would have left in the middle of a game.

One thing I can say about him, he was a master at getting his side of the story out and making people believe it. I have heard so many permutations of the how-Bama-lost-Fran scenario that I can recite them like the Pledge: Not enough money, Alabama didn't give him the whole story on the NCAA, not enough control of the program, unhappy with the contract terms, etc. The fact is, he left Tuscaloosa with a nice contract on the table that he simply wouldn't sign.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
For those on here who think Mal failed at trying to hire Rich Rod or was somehow "played" by him nothing could be further from the truth. Mal didn't want RR and low balled him during negotiations hoping he would turn it down. Others were pushing for that hire while Mal was still intent on hiring Saban.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.