Gymnasts travel in style thanks to football and CNS

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...=Alabama-gymnasts-travel-to-SEC-meet-in-style

Read the article to understand the cost of chartering the jet for the gymnasts and notice the last paragraph to see who makes it possible. University football is such a large business women's sports have trouble spending enough to balance the expenditures of football. This isn't a slam at womens' sports, but we are incredibly blessed that football produces the profits to fund our women's sports. Very few universities can do that. Their only option is to cut men's sports -including football through reducing scholarships.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/artic...=Alabama-gymnasts-travel-to-SEC-meet-in-style

Read the article to understand the cost of chartering the jet for the gymnasts and notice the last paragraph to see who makes it possible. University football is such a large business women's sports have trouble spending enough to balance the expenditures of football. This isn't a slam at womens' sports, but we are incredibly blessed that football produces the profits to fund our women's sports. Very few universities can do that. Their only option is to cut men's sports -including football through reducing scholarships.
Without football, alot of schools would be in a bind funding other sports. That is especially true for the smaller schools that almost have to take the rent-a-win beatdowns because their athletic funding is so low. Bama is extremely lucky that the football program is not only a powerhouse but a cash cow as well.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have a nephew who is a student at Alabama and also works in some capacity with the football team. He said there are about 25 people involved in what he does. He said he was amazed to learn when we played Florida Atlantic that the staff for his job at FAU consists of three guys, who cover all sports, not just football.

I'm glad we have Coach Patterson, she is a good representative of the university. Good luck to the girls this weekend!!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Look at the big NCAA picture. How many schools can say football or basketball doesn't supply the athletic department funding?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Flying them charter, rather than commercial is really classy. Several years ago my wife and I were on a flight from Jacksonville to Atlanta on which the UF gymnastics team was also flying. They were headed to Salt Lake City for a meet with Utah. They had been bussed up from Gainesville and were to have a lengthy layover in Atlanta before their flight to SLC. Big difference in that and flying charter out of Gainesville.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

They've been taking charter flights for quite a while. I believe Dubose was still coach when it started.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I would assume that our gymnastics program can support itself given its popularity and success. They sell out Coleman more regularly than b'ball. The same could also be said for softball. I have no evidence but these are not struggling women's programs. I understand they get some financial help from football, but how much?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would assume that our gymnastics program can support itself given its popularity and success. They sell out Coleman more regularly than b'ball. The same could also be said for softball. I have no evidence but these are not struggling women's programs. I understand they get some financial help from football, but how much?
In 2011, the women's rowing team was the only team not in the red. I don't have the actual information to prove it, but I figure softball and gymnastics travel so much they struggle to break even.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
In 2011, the women's rowing team was the only team not in the red. I don't have the actual information to prove it, but I figure softball and gymnastics travel so much they struggle to break even.

That's what I figured. I didn't expect them to be largely in the red, if not able to break even. But, both do travel all over the country b/c they are nationally prominent program. Success in women's sports is a double edged sword. While it generates revenue it also generates a lot of expense too.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
RT-21,
Men's & Women's golf and tennis travel considerably more than gymnastics since they go and stay longer for tournaments. Gymnastics does an incredible job of putting people in Coleman, but most are through ticket giveaways and not from ticket sales. Softball sells tickets and has considerably more away games, more travel expenses, and with a larger travel group but they are much more likely to break even financially in the future than the sports you mentioned. Gymnastics will always be one of our top two financial losers, but they are worth every penny lost for the positive PR they generate. Sarah's position in the athletic department is a huge plus for them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Look at the big NCAA picture. How many schools can say football or basketball doesn't supply the athletic department funding?
A lot. In many cases it is outside sources of funds (government, etc...) that make up for losses in revenue. As it is, very few athletic departments actually make money. Just looking at that chart gives a good example. Alabama has one of the top football programs, and the #4 revenue earner in the SEC in basketball. The SEC does quite well at sports, and shares a lot of revenue, but if you're near the bottom of the SEC in football or basketball? You're not making much, if at all.
That's what I figured. I didn't expect them to be largely in the red, if not able to break even. But, both do travel all over the country b/c they are nationally prominent program. Success in women's sports is a double edged sword. While it generates revenue it also generates a lot of expense too.
If you're spending a lot on the men's sport (regardless of revenue), you have to spend a lot on the women's sports to. That's just how it goes. So I guess you do things like charter planes for women's sports.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A lot. In many cases it is outside sources of funds (government, etc...) that make up for losses in revenue. As it is, very few athletic departments actually make money. Just looking at that chart gives a good example. Alabama has one of the top football programs, and the #4 revenue earner in the SEC in basketball. The SEC does quite well at sports, and shares a lot of revenue, but if you're near the bottom of the SEC in football or basketball? You're not making much, if at all.
My post was meaning about other sports. Obviously, public institutions have government funding for their athletic programs.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
My post was meaning about other sports. Obviously, public institutions have government funding for their athletic programs.
My point was that a lot of football programs lose money. And, in some cases athletic programs (such as Alabama's) are subsidized even though they earn money. That isn't necessary though, and the amount of subsidies vary greatly.

It is not the case that all public institutions have government funding for their athletic departments. They can be self sufficient. Case in point; LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and a couple others get 0 in subsidies.

MAC schools typically require tremendous subsidies to fund their money losing football programs, for instance Eastern Michigan has a subsidy of 22 million, and expenses of 25 million. Their revenue is only 27 million, meaning they get 22 million, spend 25 million, and have a grand total of 2 million to show for a wasted 22 million dollars. Buffalo, Ohio, Akron, etc... they are all in a similar boat. If you want another example, UAB's subsidy is three times that of Alabama's. Considering the profit of around 20 million for Alabama, and a few hundred thousand for UAB, it's obvious how poorly invested that money is. In this case, it's a safe bet that UBA's football program isn't funding anything either.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How does the rowing team generate money, much less turn a profit? To heck with Bill Battle, let's have the person in charge of that be our new AD!!!!!

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
The University of Alabama doesn't receive public funding for their athletic progams. I guess you could say the athletic departments that receive money from their schools' general operating budgets do receive some public funds but most get their money from student fees.
The athletic department of the University is actually a large donor to our general fund.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I wondered if anybody else picked up on the rowing team's profit! It probably comes from designated donations and the fact that the Black Warrior River is a free resource. I also know the rowing team doesn't use all of their allotted scholarships and "donates" some back to other sports.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, they still have to pay the coach and maintain the equipment and any buildings they use to store the boats and the oars. Also, I don't think you are allowed to shift scholarships from one sport to another. Each sport has a specific number of scholarships they are allowed to give.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

I haven't read this from anyone else, so here goes.
You don't suppose the fact that the women's gymnastics team has earned SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS have anything to do with them "traveling in style" do you?
Or does giving the women credit for their own accomplishments normally not cross your mind?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I haven't read this from anyone else, so here goes.
You don't suppose the fact that the women's gymnastics team has earned SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS have anything to do with them "traveling in style" do you?
Or does giving the women credit for their own accomplishments normally not cross your mind?
Since you obviously didn't take the time to read the link, Sarah Patterson's quote explains the thread:

“We’re just very fortunate that we have an athletic department that supports our program to the highest level,” Patterson said. “And Coach (Nick) Saban and the football program provide the funding that allows us to do that.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.