Gymnasts travel in style thanks to football and CNS

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Maybe they do it because they can afford it, but if the gymnastics team sucked, do you think they'd still do it just because they have the extra cash?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
When I was with the track team a decade ago we didn't get crap. Gymnastics is funded by football but gets a bigger share than they otherwise would due to their success in their sport ( even though their sport isn't as competitive as track). If gumnastics wasn't bringing home titles they'd be riding coach like most other sports.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's your answer. They have to compensate for spending in male sports with spending in female sports. Since revenue can not be considered, they have to cut corners on male sports, and spend more on female sports, rather than cutting back on the good investments they put into football.

Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad to invest in gymnastics or anything, it's just frustrating that they have to follow this silly rule rather than simply doing what is best.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'm well aware of how it works. I was one of many walkons while at Bama while the women's team seemed to have a hard time even filling their scholarship quota.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
In 2011, the women's rowing team was the only team not in the red. I don't have the actual information to prove it, but I figure softball and gymnastics travel so much they struggle to break even.

After looking at this, can someone explain to me why title 9 is important again?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'm not sure how the men's track team costs nearly a million bucks more than the women's team. Same facilities, same coaching staff, same meets (essentially), and the women have 50% more scholarships to give. I don't see how they got those numbers.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Several men's golf teams fly charter to tournaments: Texas, Okie State, and...Auburn. In most cases it is either an alum who provided the plane or is university owned. Boone Pickens owns the OSU plane...not sure about Auburn.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not sure how the men's track team costs nearly a million bucks more than the women's team. Same facilities, same coaching staff, same meets (essentially), and the women have 50% more scholarships to give. I don't see how they got those numbers.
If they have the same coaching staff, maybe their salaries are charged to the men for bookkeeping purposes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.