Alabama vs. Maryland

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I'll be there; looking forward to the game.

Anyone have a Maryland scouting report? Strengths and/or weaknesses. I know they beat Duke, that gets my attention right away.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Man, their season looks a LOT like Bama's. They had a slew of winnable games that they came up a couple of baskets short in. Had they been a .500 team in the ACC they would have been in the big one no doubt. They aren't superb on the road so I like Bama's chances if they can stay consistent. Still need to shoot better though.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Very hot-cold team. If they make shots, they are a handful. Their center will play in the NBA, but the key matchup will be Levi et al on Dez Wells. He ripped Duke apart in the ACC tournament, but his teammates have been inconsistent all year.

Man, their season looks a LOT like Bama's. They had a slew of winnable games that they came up a couple of baskets short in. Had they been a .500 team in the ACC they would have been in the big one no doubt. They aren't superb on the road so I like Bama's chances if they can stay consistent. Still need to shoot better though.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Good stat info. Thanks.
It looks like they have a ten player rotation, and they really hit the boards.
Our (hopefully) biggest advantage - we're at home.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Big news out of Maryland for tomorrow night:

@Tide_Source 1m Fr. G Seth Allen, who ranks No. 4 for Maryland in scoring and assists, broke his hand in practice Sunday and won't play vs. Alabama in NIT.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Unfortunately, it's part of the game. We are missing some big players also.

Big news out of Maryland for tomorrow night:

@Tide_Source 1m Fr. G Seth Allen, who ranks No. 4 for Maryland in scoring and assists, broke his hand in practice Sunday and won't play vs. Alabama in NIT.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Check this out:

Allen has scored in double digits in four of the last five games, including 15 and 13 in the first two in the NIT. He's also seen an increase in minutes over that spell, averaging 26 per game, firmly solidifying himself as one of the key cogs to Turgeon's shortened rotation. His play had become more efficient and less erratic, and he looked like a freshman growing into the game.
And to Ldlane's point:

Allen's not the only player banged up, though; the Terps played five games in ten days, and it seems like their legs are catching up to them. Allen's now out, and both Dez Wells and Logan Aronhalt missed yesterday's practice. It seems Wells and Aronhalt will be fine to play, but it's indicative of the tiring, banged-up group the Terrapins are at this point in the year (and that, in fairness, most teams are at this point in the year).
LINKY

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Folks don't understand that we have an active roster of 8 players. It isn't the 8 chosen to play, but the last 8 standing.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Very hot-cold team. If they make shots, they are a handful. Their center will play in the NBA, but the key matchup will be Levi et al on Dez Wells. He ripped Duke apart in the ACC tournament, but his teammates have been inconsistent all year.
Any team with a big center that has NBA potential is going to give us trouble in a big way. We're going to have no choice but to double team and hope the open guard is missing the threes.
Hopefully we can pull it out.
With Maryland's physical ills I hope we up the tempo and press and run like crazy. Wear the big dude out so to speak.
RTR!
sip

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i will try to add some insight. i have always been a terp basketball fan, i am from maryland, and especially in the university neighborhood. love gary williams. this team has a lot of talent, most of it young like the tide. they are not the best outside shooters, but, led the acc in rebounding, great inside size, and guard size. they still have 3 good guards with out allen, again, howard is the most dangerous. not a good shooting team. they will go to the basket, and create havoc inside. dez wells, is excellent transfer from xavier. len is a 7 ft center, that at times is just not into the game, but is outstanding defensively. not a offensive weapon, but, against duke he tore them up inside. use 9 or 10 players. the tide press will serve us well. the only worry i have is inside. and keeping a physical wells under some control. it will be a fun game. both teams are a threat, and as said not normally a good road team.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Being familiar with his coaching style for 30-plus years, I'd feel a lot better about 'Bama's chances if Gary Williams were still coaching the Terps. He was the ACC's perennial "best" does-less-with-more coach until, well, Gottfraud came along to inherit the mantle. Count on Turgeon having them in the thick of things in the B1G next year and thereafter.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Being familiar with his coaching style for 30-plus years, I'd feel a lot better about 'Bama's chances if Gary Williams were still coaching the Terps. He was the ACC's perennial "best" does-less-with-more coach until, well, Gottfraud came along to inherit the mantle. Count on Turgeon having them in the thick of things in the B1G next year and thereafter.
Does he not have a NC ring? I have always respected Williams.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
That doesn't describe Gary Williams at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.