Eddie Lacy: What are his prospects as a pro?

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I know a lot people outside of the Bama program feel like Lacy was made by the dominance of Alabama's offensive line. Conversely, I've also heard some believe he belongs in the category with Ingram and Richardson as a prospect... perhaps even better.

There's no question that Bama's offensive line was spectacular, but I've also seen how Lacy is able to get yards after contact. Heck, I think we saw Michigan St's defense make "business decisions" and decline to even make an attempt to tackle him.

Georgia's defense that was full of NFL prospects still has nightmares about him.

I watched him thoroughly dominate Notre Dame tacklers physically.... regardless of the offensive line's performance...throwing defenders to the ground with one arm in the title game. He appears to be a very strong and determined runner, and by that I mean... unusually strong and determined.

He has the speed to break the long one once in the open field. His patented spin move is a tremendous tool for potential tacklers to deal with.

I realize he's had some injury issues to deal with, and even some ball security issues early in his career, but how does everyone feel he stacks up as a pro prospect, particularly in relation to Ingram and Richardson?

Is he really as quality of a back as he appears to be, or is he mainly a product of an outstanding offensive line?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's got the physical gifts to be a bruising NFL tailback which seems to be a dying breed. The question is whether he can stay healthy enough to make a decent career in the NFL. Eddie Lacy struggled with injuries for the vast majority of his career so far.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
I know a lot people outside of the Bama program feel like Lacy was made by the dominance of Alabama's offensive line. Conversely, I've also heard some believe he belongs in the category with Ingram and Richardson as a prospect... perhaps even better.

There's no question that Bama's offensive line was spectacular, but I've also seen how Lacy is able to get yards after contact. Heck, I think we saw Michigan St's defense make "business decisions" and decline to even make an attempt to tackle him.

Georgia's defense that was full of NFL prospects still has nightmares about him.

I watched him thoroughly dominate Notre Dame tacklers physically.... regardless of the offensive line's performance...throwing defenders to the ground with one arm in the title game. He appears to be a very strong and determined runner, and by that I mean... unusually strong and determined.

He has the speed to break the long one once in the open field. His patented spin move is a tremendous tool for potential tacklers to deal with.

I realize he's had some injury issues to deal with, and even some ball security issues early in his career, but how does everyone feel he stacks up as a pro prospect, particularly in relation to Ingram and Richardson?

Is he really as quality of a back as he appears to be, or is he mainly a product of an outstanding offensive line?
well he's pretty much the consensus #1 running back to be taken in the draft. according to all the "experts".

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
His success will depend on his overall health at the next level. He has been injury prone over his entire collegiate career, and it's not going to be any easier for him to stay healthy at the next level. He has the physicality and size to be a very successful back at the next level, but he will wind up being a journeyman at best if he can't stay healthy.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
He's got to stay healthy but I think he's proven his quality enough to be the first RB taken. My guess is he goes somewhere in the 20s to a team like GB or ATL.

Alan22

Oct 6, 2012
Cocodrie, LA
He's got to stay healthy but I think he's proven his quality enough to be the first RB taken. My guess is he goes somewhere in the 20s to a team like GB or ATL.
I thinkhe's the first RB off the board, but I highly doubt Atlanta will take him. They just picked up an aging Stephen Jackson to pair with their speed back Jacquizz Rodgers, so I don't think they'll draft one in the 1st round. I think they'll run Jackson completely into the ground before drafting his successor (which is not smart).

GB could be a good landing spot for Lacy though if he's available at 26th. Looking at the teams that need a RB and pick before GB include: Jets (9th), Dolphins (12th), Rams (16th), Steelers (17th, if they don't stick with Dwyer), Giants (19th, if they don't stick with David Wilson) or the Colts (24th, if they're looking for someone to pair with Vick Ballard).

As long as Lacy doesn't go to the Falcons, Panthers or Bucs I'll be a happy camper. Hopefully he'll get drafted to the AFC where the Saints will only have to face him once every 4 years. :biggrin2:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
He has plenty of talent. He just needs to stay healthy in a league where RBs don't last long.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Strengths - He is very fluid for a big back, and has good agility for a guy his size. His second level speed isn't great, but it is good enough even for the NFL level. He runs powerfully, and has a quick first step.

Weaknesses - He runs very upright providing a large target for tacklers. His known injury history always leads to questions about durability. People at the NFL level hate his spin move...

Grade - He grades out as a early second round pick. He is the top RB prospect in the draft, and had he not come with durability issues he would be MUCH higher on most draft boards (not to be taken higher, just graded higher).

Projected pick - Though Mel Kiper has him going in the late 1st round to the Packers, almost every other draft analyst has him going in the second round. I think he'll end up going late in round one, just because someone will want to shore up the position and make sure no one trades up and snags him.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Eddie has had his share of injuries, but he has shown that when even half way healthy, he is a dominant running back. I see him as the #1 RB drafted. May not be first round, because the pros have became a pass first league.

There is a plus side to running less in the pros. Eddie should be healthy and have time to recover from nicks and the battering the pros administer.
IMO: Eddie is capable of giving some team the type running game that Trent Richardson brought to the pros.
The doubting Thomas's think Eddie gained all those yards because he ran behind a great line. Only partially true.
When Eddie broke thru the line his yards after contact
tell you he can do it...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wherever he goes, his contract will be heavily laden with contingency clauses about health, minimum participation, etc. It's common contracting procedure. Bo knows... :D

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I hope he goes to Atlanta.
as a Falcons fan i hope they go defense. at some point they have to realize that you cant win in the playoffs without a stout defense. they should take the best defensive lineman available. especially with osi umenyiora wanting to join the team. they have jackson added so adding lacy wouldnt make much sense.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
There's no way the Falcons are getting Lacy. I wish they would, but there's not a chance. They're counting on Jackson to the man for the 2-3 years. So, I'm hoping for the Packers.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Everything is harder in the NFL, but it doesnt hurt when you are making the best college teams look silly. Lacy played his strongest games against the best opponents, and this coincided with him fully healing from that nagging turf toe.

As for the offensive line, after the back has been sprung, a good running back will make the first tackler whiff. Lacy really had this, and it was fun to watch. Many of the tacklers he was pushing around will be in the NFL.

An unbelievable run of first-class running backs, Ingram-Richardson-Lacy. And by appearances at least, the next 2 are already on deck.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
There's no way the Falcons are getting Lacy. I wish they would, but there's not a chance. They're counting on Jackson to the man for the 2-3 years. So, I'm hoping for the Packers.
Yup. With Bama churning out first-rate backs every year, they can burn up Jackson and then gamble on getting a Yeldon or Henry or whoever is next. Meanwhile, they may legitimately target the Monster if they commit to the 3-4.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.