Need Retirement Help

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is obviously not a sports board question so I will ask here. I am 18-20 months away from retirement and am trying to decide where to relocate when I am through. I am originally from a small town in South Alabama but have no desire to live there again. I have lived in Montgomery, Mobile and of course Tuscaloosa. While all nice places, it's one of those "you can never go home again" scenarios. My wife and I would like to be within a game day and back home driving distance. I enjoy golf and of course my wife enjoys shopping, dining out, etc. I want to be within a reasonable, 5-6 hours, driving distance to the beach, but do not go but a couple of times a year.

My questions then, where would you consider an ideal location and why. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Roll Tide.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This is obviously not a sports board question so I will ask here. I am 18-20 months away from retirement and am trying to decide where to relocate when I am through. I am originally from a small town in South Alabama but have no desire to live there again. I have lived in Montgomery, Mobile and of course Tuscaloosa. While all nice places, it's one of those "you can never go home again" scenarios. My wife and I would like to be within a game day and back home driving distance. I enjoy golf and of course my wife enjoys shopping, dining out, etc. I want to be within a reasonable, 5-6 hours, driving distance to the beach, but do not go but a couple of times a year.

My questions then, where would you consider an ideal location and why. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Roll Tide.
Just start running until you find a place you like ;)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'd take a good long look at Shelby County, AL. I moved here from Bham in 1997 and I love it here. Only about 5 hours from my house to the Gulf, 1 1/2 hrs from Tuscaloosa, and only about 1 hr from either Bham or Montgomery. You can find homes in either city or country settings. The schools are top notch, low unemployment and low tax rates, low crime rate and best of all, the people are really friendly.
This is where I live and I don't know of any other place I'd rather call home.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I love the North Alabama area, but I am a little biased. We are 5 hours from the beach and 5 hours from the mountains. 2 hours to Tuscaloosa.

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
This doesn't help you at all but my current plan is to buy a place in Flagstaff, Arizona and stay May through September. I was there mid-July last year and it may have crept over 80 one day. Golf in July without sweating sounds like a plan to me.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'd take a good long look at Shelby County, AL. I moved here from Bham in 1997 and I love it here. Only about 5 hours from my house to the Gulf, 1 1/2 hrs from Tuscaloosa, and only about 1 hr from either Bham or Montgomery. You can find homes in either city or country settings. The schools are top notch, low unemployment and low tax rates, low crime rate and best of all, the people are really friendly.
This is where I live and I don't know of any other place I'd rather call home.
I'm not asking your address, but where do you generally live in Shelby County? I was raised predominately in Shelby County and currently reside here in the County.

TydDFens

1st Team
Feb 5, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The Pell City area is nice. The Gardendale area is a nice family oriented area. I have lived in Homewood for the past 20 years and I love it here, very convenient location. Like Bama Reb said the Shelby Co area is nice too. Lots of areas in Shelby Co, are growing. I sold real estate for 5 years so, I got to see lots of different areas around here.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Personally I would recommend you look at columbiana, or the area around huntsville-decatur-madison-athens. My brother-in-law lives in guntersville and its pretty nice if you like living next to the water.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.