Link: Is Jeremy Pruitt trying to take credit for Alabama's defensive success?

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
You probably remember some recent comments from Pruitt about feeling he had been overlooked for promotions while he was still a support staff member at Alabama. Well, there's some more interesting stuff coming from him. I wasn't aware it was "his defense".

Before Jones could open the door to the NFL, however, Jimbo Fisher and new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt offered their own sales pitch. They sat Jones down and flipped on the film of Pruitt's defense at Alabama, where Rolando McClain and Dont'a Hightower blossomed into first-round draft picks. It was red meat for a linebacker hungry to become a playmaker.
Jones wasn't the only member of Florida State's defense to get that sales pitch from Pruitt, and the film of Alabama's championship defense has been popular viewing material during the past few months.
http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foo...fense-uses-alabama-crimson-tide-film-pointers

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I can't fault him for selling players on the merits of the system he intends to implement. But it seems like he would be better equipped to sell it to defensive backs.

As far as I can tell, the wording "Pruitt's defense" was chosen by the ESPN writer, and doesn't appear in a quote by Pruitt.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Where does he say that? You seem to be making up a controversy where there is none.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Where does he say that? You seem to be making up a controversy where there is none.
After the way DeMarcus Walker's recruitment was handled and the picture he painted about being "overlooked" for promotions at Alabama, what should one take from an article written by a Florida State site? One has to believe that they interviewed Pruitt for insight into said article.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It's goofy, but it's sold to gullible kids and it's nothing that hasn't been done at countless other programs across the country. We're the It program now, and to a large extent everyone is replicating us.

For example, a couple of years back, Texas kept showing Mark Ingram tape on loop to all of the kids they were recruiting as tailback. "Yep, young man you come here and we'll use you just like Alabama did and you'll be right there for the Heisman like he was" and that sort of nonsense.

If you're curious, call Malcolm Brown and ask how well that works out. Again, it's all invented, imaginative fluff designed for and sold to kids too naive to know better.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Gotta sell the kids on a mentality he wants. No better way to do it than wrap himself around his prior Alabama credentials for buy in purposes.

I get the feeling everyone here wants to make a lot out of nothing with this guy. Like the "I was passed over for promotion twice" article which was much ado about nothing...just Pruitt explaining his journey to FSU DC.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
Gotta sell the kids on a mentality he wants. No better way to do it than wrap himself around his prior Alabama credentials for buy in purposes.

I get the feeling everyone here wants to make a lot out of nothing with this guy. Like the "I was passed over for promotion twice" article which was much ado about nothing...just Pruitt explaining his journey to FSU DC.
It wasn't so much the "promotion" talk from Pruitt as the tone he used and this line:

"One thing about us is, we don't cheat at Florida State," he said. "At some schools, they do a little more than 15 spring practices. We've done it the right way, so today was our first day we saw our guys out there. We go from there."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It wasn't so much the "promotion" talk from Pruitt as the tone he used and this line:

"One thing about us is, we don't cheat at Florida State," he said. "At some schools, they do a little more than 15 spring practices. We've done it the right way, so today was our first day we saw our guys out there. We go from there."
If you need to cross the Warrior River any time soon, best do it now. There's bridges burning all over Tuscaloosa, and clear to Tallahassee.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
He was perhaps talking about API or more likely FL. I seriously doubt he was accusing Alabama. What would be his motivation to admit to being part of a cheating program and have done nothing about it?

Do you have something personal against Pruitt? It sort of seems like it. Like I said before I never met him but have enough faith in Saban to believe he is not one to be easily fooled by an assistant.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I'm with cap. pruitt's on the dead to me list.

he's coming off like Scott Loeffler, however its spelled, at AU last year, taking credit for someone else s work and claiming to coach player and positions he never did.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have read nothing directly attributable to Pruitt that disparages Alabama or Saban in any way.

Of course he is selling Alabama's successes to recruits. That is what he did when he was at Alabama, and that is all that he has to fall back on right now at FSU. At some point he knows that this is going to have to change, but it would be foolish not to leverage his time at Alabama while he still can.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
In just a very few months JP will be held accountable for what HE has done at FSU. Sure he is using his Bama tenure to impress even embellish it, but now it's all him.

I appreciate his time at Bama & everything he did to help our team, I guess we will all see if he is what he thinks he is.

Get used to other teams using a Bama player as an example to recruits, we can't get them all but what this staff has done in recruiting the Right kind of kid at Alabama has been remarkable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.