Mal Moore passes

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It's become public now. It was an autoimmune condition in which the body attacks it's own tissue. I'm sure that he knew of it, since it's inherited. Hearing from people around him recently that it was obvious that he didn't feel good. The final phase, I'm sure came on rapidly and he almost died in Birmingham...
I have seen this several times...usually kidneys...he will be missed.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Just heard the news tonight at dinner. Busy weekend preparing for gardening and usual Easter gatherings.

I'm truly saddened by this news and my heart goes out to those close to him. Having lost both my parents to disease I can relate to the heartbreak, anger and emptiness of such an event. But I can also say that with the passing comes a sense of comfort knowing the suffering is over for the beloved Coach Moore. I didn't know him personally but what I do know and read about the man he definitely did not deserve a long and painful end. Although the loss is painful I, for one, am thankful for knowing his suffering is over and his pain has forever more ended.

God bless the family. I pray for their comfort and am thankful for the legacy this great man leaves behind.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's scary that such a thing can happen so quickly.
In view of what other people have said, I think it's been going downhill for a while and he's been pushing through. However, the end phase undoubtedly came very quickly and he became too weak for the lung transplant very quickly...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have seen this several times...usually kidneys...he will be missed.
Yes, I've just never heard of it with lungs before. With kidneys, there can be a number of causes. One common on is massive exposure to poison ivy, which causes a massive autoimmune response which attacks the kidneys causing nephrosis. I had a brush with that as a youth, rolling over and over in it on a boy scout camp out. After all the rash faded, anytime I got a bit hot, my skin would break out with blisters all over. Fortunately for me, cortisone had recently been discovered - it was around 1948 or so - and I had three months of cortisone injections, which clears it up. I can spot three leaves from 100' away now in the woods. But to return to Mal, this is the first I've heard of it with lungs. Practically every year a couple of ranchers in Texas are lost to that type of nephrosis, but it's usually from inhaling smoke from burning brush with poison ivy in it...

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I have had the opportunity to meet CMM on numerious occasions when he used to come up to NYC for the Bama alumni holiday party. I last saw him in 2010 when Bama came up for the NIT at the MSG. The alumni group had a nice reception for CAG and his coaching staff and CMM was there as well. He will be missed.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I was surprised that this seemed to happen so quickly. CMM was truly Bear's Best Boy, though he would have probably denied that accolade, given his modest nature. His passing severs a big link to Bama's past.

RIP Mal. Alabama football will not be the same without you.

CrimsonBeachBum

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Pace, FL (Pensacola metro area)
I've been away and isolated from things for the past few days and just heard of this very sad news. I literally put my hand up to my mouth and gasped. I am so sorry to hear this and just want to say how much that I appreciate Coach Moore for all his hard work, diligence and dedication to Alabama Athletics through the years. Thoughts and prayers and a heart felt thank you for all that you have done.

RIP and RTR, Coach Moore

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.