ESPN OTL: Mike Rice Berates and "Assaults" Players at Rutgers

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Now Martelli resigned today as well (his assistant) and it was said the players called him "Baby Rice" because they were best friends and Martelli acted the same way. Martelli's Dad is at St. Joseph's I think? If I got the school wrong most of you know who I'm talking about.

Now there is word the private investigator caught word that there were five "coach vs. player brawls" during their time at Robert Morris. Unreal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree. Behavior, I think, is learned! Who is he emulating? Did he play college basketball? If so, for what coach? I'm surprised that the players did not retaliate in kind. He sure deserved it. Was there a role model out there for him? Was it Bobby Knight? Bobby Knight may have been tough but not abusive or assaultive toward his players. So, who did he learn this from? Was his father a coach? Was his high school coach like this? I'm just surprised it took 3 years for him to be found out for what he really is. Would you want your son playing for this BULLY?

Looks like he physically and verbally assaulted his players! Can't coaches like him motivate players to perform to the best of their abilities and beyond what even they ever thought they could accomplish.

Penn State and Rutgers! Who's next to get outed for doing things (dirty laundry) that should never be done! Will it be the Barn? Just askin'.
Oh, yes, he was. You need to do a little research...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This guy has been doing this for some time. How does someone get away with this stuff for years and not get called to the mat for it? All of his assistants need to be fired as "silent participants" in this sad person's existence. This is certainly not "coaching" or "teaching".

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't think anyone on here is reactionary. This is a pattern with this guy and evidently the players involved have had coaches do this sort of stuff before. Coaches like this from all levels need to be eliminated from the profession. Winning doesn't solve everything and certainly will not solve the problems that Mike Rice has with his anger problems. How many wins does it take for him to stop his "technique"? Judging from the record below, it wasn't working. You should probably watch the video.

0–2011 Rutgers 15–17 5–13 13th
2011–2012 Rutgers 14–18 6–12 T–11th
2012–2013 Rutgers 15–16* 5–13 12th
Rutgers: 44–51* 16–38

Hurling basketballs at your players and reacting like a lunatic on the sideline doesn't make one a good coach. Preparation and being a good teacher can translate into wins on the court. This guy will never win as long as he continues to let his antics cover-up his inability to do either. I'll bet he left Robert Morris because someone was about squeal.

Didn't watch the video...........don't care to.

Two of his players aren't so reactionary:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebas...s-players-defend-fired-coach-Mike-Rice-040413

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Amazes me how many of his former players (Rutgers and Robert Morris) defend his actions and say they see no wrong in them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Breaking on Twitter that Pernetti, the AD, is done. He told Rutgers he won't resign, so their lawyers are working out the details of his termination.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Not to get off topic.

If you consider the high percentage of battered wives that stay with their husbands it's not surprising.
Amazes me how many of his former players (Rutgers and Robert Morris) defend his actions and say they see no wrong in them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tim Pernetti's resignation letter.

As you know, my first instincts when I saw the videotape of Coach Rice's behavior was to fire him immediately. However, Rutgers decided to follow a process involving university lawyers, human resources professionals, and outside counsel. Following review of the independent investigative report, the consensus was that university policy would not justify dismissal. I have admitted my role in, and regret for, that decision, and wish that I had the opportunity to go back and override it for the sake of everyone involved.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I would like to see his contract or a comparable contract to see why he could/should not be "fired for cause". There's just got to be some clause in a contract that the things that he did would not be tolerated. Maybe that will be/should be added to future Coaches contracts as a cause for firing.

After what happened at Penn State, I just don't know why they didn't fire him. Everybody should wake up if you don't want to suffer like Penn State has. College Presidents and AD's need to step up to the plate and be leaders instead of sweeping things under the rug hoping they will not see the light of day. I know there's got to be a lot on these people's plate to deal with but you've got to step back in those situations and make the right decisions that won't come back to bite you.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Caught part of his presser during which he said that. He was very emphatic. Been a long time since Business Law, but I was confused by the Pres.'s stmt.
Since the President said, "I just fired him", could that lead to another lawsuit from Mike Rice since he was "not fired for cause"? However, Mike Price probably does need to keep a low profile for quite a while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.