ESPN OTL: Mike Rice Berates and "Assaults" Players at Rutgers

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
This guy needs to be arrested or fired and banned from basketball.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Thanks for the post. I just saw the video on NBC Sports. That guy is a nut case! Why should a coach get away with stuff that would be considered a crime elsewhere? He needs to be history.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
3 game suspension is all he got for abusing these players. If a parent was caught doing this to there teenager they'd be in jail but, all he got was 3 games.

The Rutgers AD needs to be fired for not protecting his athletes from an abusive thug and Rice should be arrested. IMO, this is almost as bad as the Penn St. case; it may not be sexual assault but it is assault, and another an administration that protected the coach more then the victims.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
3 game suspension is all he got for abusing these players. If a parent was caught doing this to there teenager they'd be in jail but, all he got was 3 games.

The Rutgers AD needs to be fired for not protecting his athletes from an abusive thug and Rice should be arrested. IMO, this is almost as bad as the Penn St. case; it may not be sexual assault but it is assault, and another an administration that protected the coach more then the victims.
This.

spacerats

Scout Team
Nov 11, 2006
coaching is about motivating players to make themselves better and develop chemistry with the team. kinda hard for me to see how he was achieving this. ima just call it like i see it and say he is a terrible coach. don't know how he keeps his job after this, wasn't like he was winning games anyway. plus, bbball seems to have a ton of coaches on the smaller levels who know what the are doing.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not going to get political in this thread. Just posting what New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said on the subject. Indicates Rice and the AD will be gone.

"Governor Christie saw the video today for the first time and he is obviously deeply disturbed by the conduct displayed and strongly condemns this behavior," spokesman Michael Drewniak said. "It's not the type of leadership we should be showing our young people and clearly there are questions about this behavior that need to be answered by the leaders at Rutgers University."
Last night on the news, the anchor showed the clip and said ESPN talked to 6 or 8 current/former players of Rice that said they didn't have a problem with his ways. That amazes me.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
And the AD is about to receive "AD of the Year" from the Big East! I would shut that program down and release all of the scholarship players if I were the Prez. or NCAA.

Not going to get political in this thread. Just posting what New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said on the subject. Indicates Rice and the AD will be gone.

Last night on the news, the anchor showed the clip and said ESPN talked to 6 or 8 current/former players of Rice that said they didn't have a problem with his ways. That amazes me.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Funny Tweet:

Bruce Feldman
@BFeldmanCBS
Mike Rice fired by Rutgers; Brian Banks hired by Atlanta Falcons.. Karma on its game this morning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I also wonder about the liability issue. When Rutgers saw the video, they could have fired him for cause. But then they didn't. I wonder if this guy will end up with a breach of contract case? Rutgers pretty much admitted that this wasn't cause when they didn't fire him initially. Now they are firing him over bad press, not the incident itself. It will royally suck if this guy gets millions because of the way they handled it.
I think their statement cited additional evidence just come to light. I guess we'll get to see if that's true...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I agree. Behavior, I think, is learned! Who is he emulating? Did he play college basketball? If so, for what coach? I'm surprised that the players did not retaliate in kind. He sure deserved it. Was there a role model out there for him? Was it Bobby Knight? Bobby Knight may have been tough but not abusive or assaultive toward his players. So, who did he learn this from? Was his father a coach? Was his high school coach like this? I'm just surprised it took 3 years for him to be found out for what he really is. Would you want your son playing for this BULLY?

Looks like he physically and verbally assaulted his players! Can't coaches like him motivate players to perform to the best of their abilities and beyond what even they ever thought they could accomplish.

Penn State and Rutgers! Who's next to get outed for doing things (dirty laundry) that should never be done! Will it be the Barn? Just askin'.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.