Not all parts of the country see Verne "Stumblequist" in the same light as we do.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not all parts of the country see Verne "Stumblequist" in the same light as we do.

Our local sports radio show had one of the guys from Awful Announcing website/blog on this morning's show. At a point in the show the host said that he was getting blown up on texts wanting him to ask the guy why Verne wasn't on their primary list of awful announcers.

The host asked a question right before the guy answered, "Do people outside the South or SEC view Verne the same as we do?" His answer was "no". His explanation was quite interesting.

I'll paraphrase:

Verne's announcing is like a conversation between two guys in a bar. They're discussing things "all around the game" and the game is on the tv in the background of the conversation. -end of paraphrase.

I guess everyone has their opinion. The host told him that Verne (and he went ahead and mentioned Gary as well) are absolutely LOATHED by SEC fans "down here", meaning the south. He laughed and said that's not the case throughout the rest of the country.

I say let Gary call a few Ohio St/Michigan games and see if anything changes. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

FAYETTE4BAMA

1st Team
May 15, 2003
Re: Not all parts of the country see Verne "Stumblequist" in the same light as we do.

They can't get exposed to the ineptness and bias because we're hoggin' the prime tv game spots! Roll Tide!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Not all parts of the country see Verne "Stumblequist" in the same light as we do.

About to get hammered here.

I like Verne's enthusiasm on a big play. He even has really gotten it with "Touchdown....AL-uh-bama." Sort of the old senile uncle who tells the same WW2 stories with slight alterations.

On the other hand, the guy makes monumental mistakes, like calling us Auburn when Tennessee lined up for the Cody block. Auburn wasn't even playing in the game! At least if he'd said Tennessee would have their first loss, it would have been wrong but understandable. And does Tebow get paid royalties for every mention of his name?

Danielson, he's ok. Unlike most former players his references to himself are put downs, not the "this reminds me of a Lions game in 1978" trash. He also will admit he's wrong, the exact opposite of Paul Maguire (I contemplate suicide every NFL game I hear Maguire scream about how the refs blew it - and continue screaming they're wrong even when the video shows they're right).

Just an FYI - recently a poll of SEC fans had these two as the most biased announcers by every team including Vandy - which means they're about as objective as can be expected.

That said, they do get on my nerves. Lou Saban is dead so why does Verne keep calling our coach that? And the Mark Ingram Sr story, please shut up!! But you gotta remember that most non-SEC fans hear them once or twice a year at most. That's why they're not as hated elsewhere.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I like Verne's enthusiasm on a big play. He even has really gotten it with "Touchdown....AL-uh-bama." Sort of the old senile uncle who tells the same WW2 stories with slight alterations.
And this is how the Awful Announcing guy said he see's him. Like "It just wouldn't be the same without ole crazy uncle..."

Verne doesn't bother me as much as the people who spend more time complaining about Verne DURING THE GAME than actually watching the game.

I nearly went off on someone in a bar during the SEC Championship Game because all they could do was rant about Verne and Gary while an amazing college football game was being played.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I gotta admit it. I like both Verne and Gary. Yes Verne makes some mistakes but that's more funny to me than it is bad.
I've always thought Danielson was pretty insightful. And Selma is right, Verne can make an exciting play a monumental event with his enthusiasm. I hope they stick around awhile.
sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

On the other hand, the guy makes monumental mistakes, like calling us Auburn when Tennessee lined up for the Cody block. Auburn wasn't even playing in the game! At least if he'd said Tennessee would have their first loss, it would have been wrong but understandable. And does Tebow get paid royalties for every mention of his name?

Danielson, he's ok. Unlike most former players his references to himself are put downs, not the "this reminds me of a Lions game in 1978" trash. He also will admit he's wrong, the exact opposite of Paul Maguire (I contemplate suicide every NFL game I hear Maguire scream about how the refs blew it - and continue screaming they're wrong even when the video shows they're right).

Just an FYI - recently a poll of SEC fans had these two as the most biased announcers by every team including Vandy - which means they're about as objective as can be expected.

That said, they do get on my nerves. Lou Saban is dead so why does Verne keep calling our coach that? And the Mark Ingram Sr story, please shut up!! But you gotta remember that most non-SEC fans hear them once or twice a year at most. That's why they're not as hated elsewhere.
He's become better about it, but he used to have the same problem. He gave up after Redding made his explanation last game, but, in the '09 UT game, he raved on and on about Cody's taking his helmet off, even after the rule had been explained. I will agree about Vern's competence being roughly on the level with any guy you'd pick out of a bar...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Verne doesn't bother me as much as the people who spend more time complaining about Verne DURING THE GAME than actually watching the game.

I nearly went off on someone in a bar during the SEC Championship Game because all they could do was rant about Verne and Gary while an amazing college football game was being played.
I attribute this to SEC fans personally connecting with their team. It is almost like a double edged sword. On one side you have the passion of the SEC fans and that's why football is what it is in the south. But on the other side you've got the same fans so "connected" to their team that they take it personal when EVERY little aspect of their team isn't put into the most perfect light or isn't held in the same regard as they hold it.

So "we" become overly sensitive to things that in any other game doesn't bother us one bit.

I attribute this to SEC fans personally connecting with their team. It is almost like a double edged sword. On one side you have the passion of the SEC fans and that's why football is what it is in the south. But on the other side you've got the same fans so "connected" to their team that they take it personal when EVERY little aspect of their team isn't put into the most perfect light or isn't held in the same regard as they hold it.

So "we" become overly sensitive to things that in any other game doesn't bother us one bit.
Spot on accurate.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I gotta admit it. I like both Verne and Gary. Yes Verne makes some mistakes but that's more funny to me than it is bad.
I've always thought Danielson was pretty insightful. And Selma is right, Verne can make an exciting play a monumental event with his enthusiasm. I hope they stick around awhile.
sip

I've gotten over all the mistakes and have moved on. It used to bother me to no end but I've realized that it has not outcome on the game and it can be quite entertaining. Especially when Verne continues to call Coach Saban "Urban Meyer" and reference the beautiful city of "Fayatteville" when in actuality they are in Tuscaloosa.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

I like them both. Verne has his moments, both good and bad, but the guy has paid his dues and IMO rates a little leeway.

Gary is very insightful and is always prepared. I suspect he's a tad too objective for most SEC fans who only want their teams to be fawned upon.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

Meh, they don't really bother me, I kinda don't mind both of 'em. The mistakes and whiffing on names by Verne are just hilarious. You just have to laugh.

Danielson I find to be very insightful when it comes to technique and coaching points. He's always accurate calling a play before it happens by a certain formation 99% of the time.

I'm a longtime watcher of The Masters, and Verne is much, much sharper than people think. He gets pretty excited calling college football.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Meh, they don't really bother me, I kinda don't mind both of 'em. The mistakes and whiffing on names by Verne are just hilarious. You just have to laugh.

Danielson I find to be very insightful when it comes to technique and coaching points. He's always accurate calling a play before it happens by a certain formation 99% of the time.

I'm a longtime watcher of The Masters, and Verne is much, much sharper than people think. He gets pretty excited calling college football.
I think I know the secret to his success. I think the teams allow the announcers that will be calling the games to watch them practice during the week. If you listen closely Gary will actually make comments like "I saw them practicing a reverse this week. This is one of those situations teams like to use it." Then amazing it happens. He still has to be pretty good to even do that. But I think "the plays" he's seeing at the practices are the plays the offense will be picking from for that week's game.

Last edited:

I think I know the secret to his success. I think the teams allow the announcers that will be calling the games to watch them practice during the week. If you listen closely Gary will actually make comments like "I saw them practicing a reverse this week. This is one of those situations teams like to use it." Then amazing it happens. He still has to be pretty good to even do that. But I think "the plays" he's seeing at the practices are the plays the offense will be picking from for that week's game.
The broadcast crew gets access to each team in addition to the production meeting with the coaches.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I think the biggest problem, if you can even call it a problem, is that we (The University of Alabama) are on TV every week and we have the same announcers every single week. They can't come up with different stories that all of us with a computer haven't heard or read about already. I think they are better than the guys who do the Fox network, but I really don't watch them a whole lot besides when they were calling the BCS games a few years ago.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I think he has done pretty well calling some of the NCAA basketball games...(surprisingly).

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

If you watch a lot of college football on Saturdays from around the country like I do, you know it can get a lot worse than Verne and Gary. Especially some of the ESPN announcing crews. It doesn't get much worse than Joey Galloway and Beth Mowins.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

If you watch a lot of college football on Saturdays from around the country like I do, you know it can get a lot worse than Verne and Gary. Especially some of the ESPN announcing crews. It doesn't get much worse than Joey Galloway and Beth Mowins.
LOL! Yes, yes it can. LOL!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I will always remember Verne's call at the '86 Masters when Jack Nicklaus sunk the putt on 17. Maybe someone should just put him a bed in the tower between 15 and 16 and leave him there. Honestly I have got to where I just ignore him when they are calling our games.

Last edited:

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame

I go back and forth on these two. I appreciate Verne's enthusiasm and Gary's knowledge of the game. But at times the two just grate on my nerves and make me tired enough to switch to Eli and Phil and deal with the time lapse.

I really think that Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge are the best booth squad in college football. Nessler is the hardest working broadcaster in the business, sometimes working two games in one weekend. Blackledge is every bit as knowledgable as Danielson and his Taste of the Town bit is always entertaining.

If I was the CBS Sports head mother in charge, I'd throw whatever those two wanted to broadcast SEC games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.