Link: Former Auburn Players Talk

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
The athletes that do come from modest to low income families can easily receive grants. With there tuition, food and housing covered, these grants are plenty for the players to go to the movies etc.
Friends cover a lot of incidentals. Players get invited to many things, cook outs, etc. They also can get student loans. With minimal money management they should be fine...even buy a decent car, at least make the payments on one.

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
Has tapes, doesn't have tapes, sounds like Scott Moore. Hope this isn't another media, look at me ploy like he pulled.
I wish he had a different name since that is my name also. I can tell sometimes when people look at me and I say, "No, not that Scott Moore."

I think of all the allegation the NCAA would be most interested in the grade changing. Everything else may be shoved aside due to evidence but grade changing would be a huge no-no at an accredited college institution.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Since current au head coach gus malzaughn was on staff in 2010, will the ncaa question him as to what he knew was occurring? Also, being the great man on integrity that he is, did gus not notify the compliance personnel of the alleged events? Was gus involved in any way?

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Watch the one issue that doesn't involve money changing hands be the one that the NCAA makes a statement on.

Academic fraud.

The NCAA is in a bit of a crap storm right now. USA Today has been hammering them all week. There's the Miami case bungle and the criticism over the Penn State penalties. They need some fresh meat to show their relevancy. What better opportunity could they have than this?

Academic fraud is usually a cut and dried issue. There are records. There are federal and state requirements for documenting this stuff. If there's any red meat in this, it'll be the academic fraud allegations.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Watch the one issue that doesn't involve money changing hands be the one that the NCAA makes a statement on.

Academic fraud.

The NCAA is in a bit of a crap storm right now. USA Today has been hammering them all week. There's the Miami case bungle and the criticism over the Penn State penalties. They need some fresh meat to show their relevancy. What better opportunity could they have than this?

Academic fraud is usually a cut and dried issue. There are records. There are federal and state requirements for documenting this stuff. If there's any red meat in this, it'll be the academic fraud allegations.
^^^^ This. Agreed. Per usual, teflon aubrens may escape (ie., pay off) with their hides again. But if there's one thing besides the usual money stories that the NCAA could/would love to send them up the river on it's the academic fraud issue. I don't know if there's a way the boogs can/will get nailed for it, but if so they could only wish that paying players was their biggest problem. Everyone knows what they did keeping everybody eligible for the BCS two years ago. If proved, such an egregious case of academic fraud along with lack of institutional control should bust them back to the dinosaur age. Not to mention their academic accreditation being looked into again. I'm not holding my breath yet but if something does start happening over this for real then just rename this thread MEGATHREAD PART 2. Yeehaw.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
There's a period of time after a semester ends that a student has the opportunity to (for lack of a better word) contest a grade before it becomes a permanent record. Auburn just conveniently extended this window of time before the grades became permanent to the day after the BCSNCG. Then it wouldn't matter if they failed, the game is over. I doubt official grades were changed, these folks are clever, and they have Franklin, Lightfoot, White to advise them on such. If anything, the NCAA might take that window of time away from school discretion or shorten it to prevent future shenanigans. Call it the Auburn rule. My speculation...of course.

freefall

1st Team
Apr 30, 2009
Leesburg, VA
I might have agreed with you prior to their handling of the UNCheat debacle. Those guys were caught red-handed in a scandal that affected not only football but also their beloved (and supposedly pristine) roundball program, and the NCAA has done... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The statement issued by the UNC AD included this gem:

Based on the joint review, UNC and the NCAA staff concluded there were no violations of current NCAA rules or student-athlete eligibility issues related to courses in African and Afro-American Studies. As a result, the NCAA did not add any allegations or include this issue during the University’s appearance in October 2011 before the Committee on Infractions.
If falsifying transcripts and having nonexistent classes for athletes don't qualify as rules violations then what the hell is the point of having rules in the first place?! :mad:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Academic fraud.

after the UNC allegations I am not 100% sure this is true any longer. they skated on serious academic fraud allegations, why won't the barn?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yep, thought about UNC.

Also, the sociology scandal at Auburn has been mentioned. The ncaa didn't so much as bat an eye over that one, if I recall correctly.

Oh but let there be some impropriety regarding textbooks and the ncaa drops the hammer!:rolleyes:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I might have agreed with you prior to their handling of the UNCheat debacle. Those guys were caught red-handed in a scandal that affected not only football but also their beloved (and supposedly pristine) roundball program, and the NCAA has done... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The statement issued by the UNC AD included this gem:

If falsifying transcripts and having nonexistent classes for athletes don't qualify as rules violations then what the hell is the point of having rules in the first place?! :mad:
beat me, with sources by 2 minutes. Nice

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Where's Mosley's trial, etc. in all of this? Did he get youthful offender status? A lot of us have wondered if Mosley and his old man could be the key to getting the boogs, but then I guess the boogs could just pay them off like everybody else.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What i dont understand is the NCAA complains about not having subpoena power so they have to engage in all these black market tactics to get information on the schools. I am sure that a member school's membership is supported by a contract or agreement to abide by said rules and pay fees for the school to maintain membership. If that is indeed the case, why doesnt the NCAA (and vice versa for the school) just sue the member school for breach of contract in civil court for rules violations, damages, etc? This would in effect give the NCAA access to the court system, evidence rules, discovery rules, and subpoena power in order to get redress against the school. You might even have the cases heard before the Tax Court (jurisdictionally) because I think the NCAA might could make an argument that member schools violating their rules jeopardizes their ability to maintain their tax exempt status. There would also be a legitimate appeals process as well; however, I doubt any such case would ever make to SCOTUS but you never know.

The school's membership should be any different than a stockholder suing its own company in a derivative action. The fact the NCAA says they dont have access to the courts just doesnt make sense to me when virtually everyone else in society does if they so choose to go that route. Of course, unless the NCAA mandates dispute resolution be what it currently is which obviously doesnt work well at all.

To me some approach like this would certainly result in some form of legitimate justice on these matters as opposed to the ridiculous results we see now.

Last edited:

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
I think a more appropriate penalty would be to require all Aubbies to sit through reruns of the Barn Football and Basketball games of last year. Maybe our lawyer friend (Earle) can tell us if the SCOTUS would deem this "Cruel and Unusual Punishment".

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
My prediction: A year (or two) of stumbling and fumbling by the NCAA, followed by... nothing.

From what I've seen of this, it's another case of "he said", followed by "he denies he said."

You have to hand it to the Barners, they sure know how to get by with things. They do it the old fashioned way - cash and face to face conversations.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.