Vlachos Back at Alabama as a Graduate Assistant

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In a story about Ryan Kelly taking over the Center position, Kelly makes a comment about Vlachos being back at Bama as a GA.

Link

“Working under (Vlachos and Jones) for my first two years here was awesome,” Kelly said. “Now that Vlachos is back here as a GA (graduate assistant coach), it’s even better. He’s right there and he has so much experience in the game. At the offensive line position, that’s what you need. He’s just giving me little pointers here and there about putting your team in the best position to score touchdowns.”

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Great news, one of my favorite pics of Bama football is the one of all the LSU players lying on the ground as Vlachos and a few others walk past. Will's walk seemed particularly jaunty to me, cracks me up every time.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Glad to see he's back also. He was one of the most consistant players the way he brought his lunch pail and went to work.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Good move for William. I remember when Shula was going to offer him as a GS. CNS resolved that PDQ. If I remember William was seriously considering API before Saban arrived.

Of course our previous HC was not sold on Barrett Jones either. Incredible to think about that now.

Last edited:

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I remember an interview during Vlachos's first year as a starter, and he commented that it was great being tutored the previous year by Antoine Caldwell. He said that Antoine had given him a lot of little tips and tricks that helped him immensely when he was playing in games. The interviewer asked if he could let us in on some of those tips and tricks. Vlachos responded: "Nah" :D

I'm sure he will be passing on that inside info to Kelly and the rest. Love it!

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I could see Vlachos having a long career in coaching. I'd love to see a time when McElroy and Vlachos are both on staff at Bama... and think that's a real possibility.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.