This will probably be Mark Emmert and the NCAA's last chance at damage control.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The public image and credibility of both are about as low as could be and this latest booger scandal gives them a chance to clean up their images a bit.

Ironic that it's the barners that afford them this opportunity because their mishandling of the $cam Newton fiasco is where they really pooped in their mess-kits and caught the attention of the CFB world re their incompetence and lack of providing a level playing field for all members. Failure to follow through on this opportunity could very well result in Emmert losing his job and the demise of the NCAA. (Neither of which would break my heart.)

Will Emmert and the NCAA take advantage of this chance to redeem their tarnished images or will they fumble the ball again?

I think they have no choice if they want to survive.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This latest report has little in the way of hard evidence. The LAST thing the NCAA is going to do right now is bring the hammer down on the basis of a circumstantial case. So, no, as much as we would all like to see the plains burn, unless something else turns up, don't get your hopes up.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
The expansion and consolidation of conferences into a few super conferences might put pressure on ncaa to exert themselves somehow. Probably bust some small Sun Belt school for players sleeping over (avoid driving drunk) without paying a fair rent. Then beat their NCAA chest about it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Despite what they have said, I have seen no evidence that the NCAA is concerned about its image. It will continue to act as it sees fit, swinging its hammer where it wishes, not where it is warranted or needed.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
This latest report has little in the way of hard evidence. The LAST thing the NCAA is going to do right now is bring the hammer down on the basis of a circumstantial case. So, no, as much as we would all like to see the plains burn, unless something else turns up, don't get your hopes up.
We don't know what hard evidence SR has. For that matter, we don't know what hard evidence the NCAA has either, we only know that they didn't seem to have much of an appetite for going after the boogs re Scam. I gotta believe that Slive had a hand in that.

We'll just have to wait and see.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Because of the bad press lately, if I was Emmert and the NCAA, I'd keep my mouth shut. Don't want to speak up then never find anything substantial again. Just be quite and in 2 or 3 weeks there will be some new sports story to grab the media's attention and this will all blow over. There is no way I'd come forward with any type of comment unless I knew I had the evidence to slam the door on the barn. Otherwise, we'll be playing the same game we did 2 years ago.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I could see the NCAA going over the top by being cautious if it does punish Auburn. While many felt the Penn State punishment was just, the NCAA hasn't taken a little ribbing for being too harsh. To avoid the same criticism, the NCAA may very well just not punish the next school found to commit major violations.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
The NCAA is not a political organization but it certainly acts like one. Being concerned with image over doing the just and correct thing will never win respect in the end. Rulings based on legal threats or bias make it more than image conscious, it makes the organization cowardly and corrupt. Without the courage to follow rules it is irrelevant.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We don't know what hard evidence SR has. For that matter, we don't know what hard evidence the NCAA has either, we only know that they didn't seem to have much of an appetite for going after the boogs re Scam. I gotta believe that Slive had a hand in that.

We'll just have to wait and see.
I didn't hear her interview today, but I've been told that she said that she has tapes of all of the conversations other than when the subjects called her back on her cell in her car...

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I heard Emmert's press conference. I'm OK with what I heard. Emmert didn't rule out anything; but he didn't make the "Guilty as charged!" pronouncement that reporters were fishing for. He said the NCAA must rely on a higher standard of proof than a blogger's claim(!) To me that implies no secret witnesses... no NCAA vendettas...

Never again do I want the NCAA to be able to handle an "investigation" and mete out punishment the way Alabama was treated. If the NCAA's (finally!) self-imposing a higher standard of proof means Auburn gets a pass, I'm OK with it. They're on their way to irrelevancy anyway, with or without an NCAA hammer.

All it takes is one misguided, foolish booster with more money than brains...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wasn't necessarily referring to his statements regarding Auburn, but rather the overall press conference.

He got into it with 2 reporters, twice mocking Dennis Dodd (who apparently called for his firing in an article). I'm no Dennis Dodd fan, but the lack of professionalism that Emmert displayed is disappointing coming from someone who is supposed to be the leader of a big organization.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The public image and credibility of both are about as low as could be and this latest booger scandal gives them a chance to clean up their images a bit.

Ironic that it's the barners that afford them this opportunity because their mishandling of the $cam Newton fiasco is where they really pooped in their mess-kits and caught the attention of the CFB world re their incompetence and lack of providing a level playing field for all members. Failure to follow through on this opportunity could very well result in Emmert losing his job and the demise of the NCAA. (Neither of which would break my heart.)

Will Emmert and the NCAA take advantage of this chance to redeem their tarnished images or will they fumble the ball again?

I think they have no choice if they want to survive.
I agree with everything that you said.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't hear her interview today, but I've been told that she said that she has tapes of all of the conversations other than when the subjects called her back on her cell in her car...
Earle, I respect your opinion more than anyone else's on this board. But let me suggest those tapes don't matter. The interviewees can now say they misunderstood the questions, or they told her something completely different in those unrecorded conversations, or whatever it takes. Let's not forget how good the fambly is at this.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I wasn't necessarily referring to his statements regarding Auburn, but rather the overall press conference.

He got into it with 2 reporters, twice mocking Dennis Dodd (who apparently called for his firing in an article). I'm no Dennis Dodd fan, but the lack of professionalism that Emmert displayed is disappointing coming from someone who is supposed to be the leader of a big organization.
Emmert has been nothing but a complete joke since he took over. He tried to show his testosterone over Penn State by overstepping his authority with evidence handed him on a silver platter because he was shown to be the fool and emasculated over Miami, scam, etc. Now he stands to be made the fool again by the boogs. If he doesn't come up with a big win (legitimate) soon whether aubrens or who, then he won't be around much longer and the NCAA will be even more of a laughingstock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

I figured she would be on pretty solid ground because she hurt her career with the Duke lacrosse scandal and is trying to rebuild it. To make wild groundless accusations at this point would be pretty stupid on her part and would destroy her as a viable journalist going forward.

Also, the way this thing is taking off there must be something to it. It's not like everyone is just sitting around waiting to take down a 3-9 team with zero SEC wins in 2012 and with a pretty grim future looking ahead to 2013.

Then there's the sleazy record allbarn has with the NCAA.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I respect your opinion more than anyone else's on this board. But let me suggest those tapes don't matter. The interviewees can now say they misunderstood the questions, or they told her something completely different in those unrecorded conversations, or whatever it takes. Let's not forget how good the fambly is at this.
In any event, some tapes are far better than no tapes at all. At the very least, it diverts the interviewees into equivocate and explain themselves. Plus, some of her quotes are not really capable of being rationalized...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.