Manti Te’o: The Alabama Game Doesn’t Define My Career

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
“It’s a little frustrating that people look at one game and say that was the closest thing to an NFL team that I had faced, not giving credit to all the other teams that I played,” Te’o told detroitlions.com. “So you’re saying Stanford isn’t an NFL team; Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue and USC. [Alabama] is definitely a game I didn’t do as well as I could have, but it’s not something I felt could define my career at Notre Dame.”
Yes Te'o, that's exactly what everyone is saying. If he thinks Purdue?, Michigan State, Michigan or USC were even close to the same level as Alabama last year, he's way too stupid to understand an NFL defensive scheme. This guy just keeps giving his critics ammo.

Full Article.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Memorable moments define careers. What image and moment comes to mind with the following: Van Tiffin, Cornelius Bennet, Shuan Alexander, and Mark Ingram? Were those single plays defining moments? My mental image of Te'o is him being run over by Lacey, over and over and over.

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
The Bama game doesn't define his career in the same way that using his dying "girlfriend" to garner awards votes doesn't define his character...

Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
What is he supposed to say, guys? Yeah, I'm a over-rated, character-challenged, over-hyped statue of a defender who failed miserably when it mattered most and any NFL team that drafts me will regret it?

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
What is he supposed to say, guys? Yeah, I'm a over-rated, character-challenged, over-hyped statue of a defender who failed miserably when it mattered most and any NFL team that drafts me will regret it?
He could have left the comparisons at Stanford & Oklahoma. Of course, they weren't on the same page as Alabama was last year either, but when he starts comparing Purdue to Alabama it only adds fuel to the fire.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The Alabama game didn't define Manti Te'o's career.
BUT
His play against so so teams.
His poor times in the combines.
The dead girlfriend hoax.
Possible homosexual rumors.
His lack of performance on the 'Big Stage', when he folded under the Alabama attack.
Getting plowed under by Eddie Lacey didn't help his image.
His poor tackling.
His lack of speed.

I COULD BE WRONG... BUT...

Manti appears to have been propped up by ND.
His stats came against weaker teams.
His speed is only in relation to his slow team.
His judgement on angles of attack was poor.

Some NFL team will draft him
Can Manti play against the big boys? History questions that.

In fairness to Manti...
He has a high opinion of his abilities.
Self confidence is a wonderful thing, if you can back it up.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Maybe he should stop talking to the media so frequently.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You know, if Pitt just makes that point, Teo doesn't finish high in the Hype-man Trophy and NONE of this happens.

History really does turn on a dime.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
The smartest thing Te'o did was to turn down his appearance at the NFL Draft. A bunch of mock drafts say he will fall to Baltimore's first pick. I would hope that Ozzie is smarter than that!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I do get what he is saying. He did put in a lot of excellent play. He had a historically bad game. He knows that is not all that he is about. He remembers the work he put in and the successes he has had.

Unfortunately (and I do mean that, because I do think it is unfair) he does not get the call as to what and what does not define his career. A bad game (or even a specific bad play) at a critical time can be the only thing the majority of people will remember. That is the case even if there is a body of work that says otherwise.
I don't think he has enough of a body of work to overcome what happened in that game even for a lot of Notre Dame fans. Unmet expectations tend make the memory indelible.

If he becomes a great pro, some of it will go away.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I do get what he is saying. He did put in a lot of excellent play. He had a historically bad game. He knows that is not all that he is about. He remembers the work he put in and the successes he has had.

Unfortunately (and I do mean that, because I do think it is unfair) he does not get the call as to what and what does not define his career. A bad game (or even a specific bad play) at a critical time can be the only thing the majority of people will remember. That is the case even if there is a body of work that says otherwise.
I don't think he has enough of a body of work to overcome what happened in that game even for a lot of Notre Dame fans. Unmet expectations tend make the memory indelible.

If he becomes a great pro, some of it will go away.
Can I get Vegas odds on that? :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.