Link: The SEC and ESPN Will Announce SEC Network on Tuesday, April 16

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The SEC and ESPN plan to formally announce the creation of an SEC channel on Tuesday. The two parties have begun to reach out to key constituents to let them know about the 12:00pm ET announcement at the Atlanta Hyatt. University presidents, ADs, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, ESPN execs and the conference's corporate sponsors are among those being invited to the news conference. The SEC and ESPN have been working on plans to form a channel since the fall of '11, and the new channel is expected to launch in August '14.

The channel is expected to have its studio headquarters in Charlotte at the ESPN Regional Television offices, while the primary sales outlet will be based in Atlanta.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The Big Ten Network and the Pac-12 Network have had difficulty getting carriage agreements with the cable and setellite companies. Would ESPN include games on the SEC Network as part of ESPN GamePlan? If not, I won't be happy if they don't reach a deal with DirecTV, and I get no TV coverage of one or two Alabama games each year. Other than that, it should be great for those of us that want to see more TV coverage of the nonrevenue sports.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
The Big 10 is on Comcast and I seem to remember it was on DirectTV when I had that service. while I prefer a lot about DirectTV I prefer Comcast for CSS coverage which includes CNS show and other Tide coverage such as softball and baseball.

I think having the link with ESPN will absolutely result in inclusion of the SEC network on all cable/dish systems.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Big 10 is on Comcast and I seem to remember it was on DirectTV when I had that service. while I prefer a lot about DirectTV I prefer Comcast for CSS coverage which includes CNS show and other Tide coverage such as softball and baseball.

I think having the link with ESPN will absolutely result in inclusion of the SEC network on all cable/dish systems.
You also get BTN with the U-200 tier U-Verse package.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The SEC officially announces an event with ESPN at 12 EST on Tuesday at the Hyatt Atlanta Regency. I've seen some Twitter talk of about 30 SEC coaches being present for the event.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
so what does everyone think of this network? is it good for bama and will it bring the money in? whats it like compared to the big 10 network?
For the first part of the question, it all comes down to how lucrative they are able to make it. Alabama actually stands to lose the most by giving up tier 3, so if this isn't very lucrative (at least as much as the Big 10 has been making) it is likely to hurt and not help. Programs like Arkansas or Miss. St. will gain money, since in the least they're getting Alabama's cut of tier 3 revenue.

As to the latter part, no idea... we've known it was coming, but not much else.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If it will be carried on my cable package, I will like it.

I don't watch the Big Ten Network, what kind of stuff do they carry?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Comcast?

They'll conveniently put it in a package where you have to buy a bunch of channels you don't want and put the SECNHD in a standalone HD package for 10 bucks a month. So about 25-30 dollars.

crimsoncamaro

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
i have uverse, so i will definitely get the package that includes the sec network. hope they show a lot of baseball.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because of the postponement of the announcement, the SEC and ESPN are in Atlanta to announce today. The conference can be seen live at 11:00 central here.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Hockey, curling, ice fishing,...that sort of thing. ;)

Seriously, I don't watch either, but I 'spect one could see some very good hoops on the Big 10 network.

They actually have some good programming....all sports, including basketball, baseball, softball (including rebroadcasts of old football games, wehich I enjoy during the offseason)

they also have a lot of programming for the big ten schools (which is of no interest to me, of course, but would be good for a B10 fan)...sort of like the ESPN shows on ESPN based on SEC atheletss and history.

Hopefully, the SEC betwork will have similarities to the BTN, but with better sports teams playing... ;)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.