Poll: Most Dominant "Big" Game Win in Saban Era

Most Dominant Big Win in Saban Era

• Total voters

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
I've been enjoying reading Travis Reier's write-up's on best of the Saban era by position.

One I've yet to see anywhere is most dominating performance in a big game* (bowl, championship -SEC or BCSNC). I mean, where we took an opponent (not the FCS type) on equal footing and just donkey punched them for four quarters, defensively and offensively.

Cast your vote and then explain why.

* If it's "other" (not a Bowl or championship game), post it, too.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
On my phone so I can't see the poll but...

1. Texas A&M 2013
2. Notre Dame 2012
3. LSU 2011

:biggrin2:

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Mine is the 2009 SEC champ game. If we didn't win that one Florida and Urban would probably be in the same position we are in now. My second would probably be LSU 2011 but because we had already played them close and they weren't defending champs I was nowhere near as nervous as I was about the 2009 SEC champ game.

DothanTide

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 6, 2011
UGA blackout game is one of my absolute favorite games ever, but I have to go with the Capital One Bowl against MSU. If *that* team had played USCe, LSU, and the Barn, we'd have never lost a game that year. I know CNS called the '11-12 defense a "hateful bunch", but for the Capital One Bowl the entire TEAM was a downright hateful bunch. Pretty sure if you held up a crimson script A in-front of Kirk Cousins after that game, he'd have gone curled into a ball right on the spot screaming "PLEASE DON'T HIT ME!".

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I think 2009 Sec Champ game not many outside of Alabama thought we would win that one let alone blow them out, top it off with the talent and coach they had and you got one heck of a win.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I have to go with the LSU BCS game. They thought it would be a walk in the park after beating us in regular season barely. Second would be the ND game they thought they had a good team ha ha very funny.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I voted the 2012 BCSNCG against Notre Dame, but that game against Michigan State could have been very bad as for as the final score. I honestly think Coach Saban could have put up a lot of points. But why embarrass them even worse. He is good friends with their head coach. They are already going to be working diligently to prepare for payback down the road in the very near future in East Lansing.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
2012 Iron Bowl
At one time the IRON BOWL was considered a big game.
Now Days Auburn has descended into mediocrity.
(Big words for 'Ain't Much')

I enjoyed beating the crap out of auburn, but auburn wasn't hyped, even on their own campus.

At the BCS, for all the marbles, the press played up ND as giant killers. The yankees believed them.
ND believed the press...
The giant killers, led by that fearsome Manti Te'o
were gonna have their way with us...
ND was exposed for what they were...
A team lucky to win their regular season games,
because they played a much hyped, but weak schedule.

ND should have been embarrassed by the whipping we gave them, instead they made excuses.
IMO: A drunken coed would have put up a better fight.

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
There have been quite a few dominant big game wins, but the game against Michigan State looked like an NFL team playing a jr. high team. It was a total beatdown.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think it depends on what you mean by big game.

If it's national championships, I'd call a tie between 2011 and 2012. Pluses and minuses to each, but on balance a tie.

If it's serving notice that Bama's back, and this time it's no lightweight under the head coach's hat, I'd go with the 2008 Clemson game in the Georgia Dome.

I was there, and after their brief flush right after the return of the second half KO for a TD, the vaunted Tigers wanted no more. DLs were literally turning their backs because they didn't want any more contact. It was the first time in a long time that we made a favored team (we were a 9 to 11 point underdog) roll over and quit.

Most of the nation remembers the UGA blackout game a few weeks later. But notice was served against Clemson.

I thought the 2010 Michigan State Citrus Bowl was a great win, but really showed only how much that team under-achieved.

We should have dominated like that against the whole schedule, but lack of drive prevented that.

Still the only time I've ever heard of, let alone seen, any team, not just an Alabama opponent, punting on 4th and goal. I expect to die never having seen that again.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The question asks for the most dominant performance, so I have to vote for the Michigan St. bowl game. We dominated them like they were a high school team. It isn't my favorite win because it wasn't for a championship, but it was by far the most dominant.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I would have to say 2009 SEC Championship vs. Florida based on the quality of the opponent. Without that loss, UF would have gone on to win their third National Championship. Florida was top notch on both sides of the ball (special teams too) and had a "mystique" about them. Beating them took away this "aura" and placed it on Bama.
In 2011 LSU was a good team with a great defense but they had not had the consistent and dominant record that Florida had posted over 4 years.
The 2010 win of MSU in the Capital One Bowl did redefine the phrase "beat down" though.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There have been quite a few dominant big game wins, but the game against Michigan State looked like an NFL team playing a jr. high team. It was a total beatdown.
Have to agree! It was a game we could have just shown up for but we played like it was a SECCG or NCG and I think that sent a message to college football and you see what has happened the last two years!

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I have to go with 21-0 over LSU. They beat a team that most in the media thought had one of the most impressive resumes in history. They couldn't get past the 50-yardline until near the end of the game. There may never be a more dominant performance by a defense in a national championship game ever.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
'Dominant' is the key word. IMO, there has never been ANY CFB team EVER that could have beaten Bama on 01/01/2011. You don't get any more 'Dominant' than that.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
While it may not have been the biggest win program wise in Saban's tenure, the most dominant performance I have witnessed had to be the victory over Michigan St. I've never seen a team so shell shocked in my life... I think that's when people realized "Uh-Oh, last year wasn't a fluke...and next year could be brutal..."

My top three would be
1. Michigan St.
2. Notre Dame (we could have named the score)
3. LSU (while we performed over the top defensively, we still didn't dominate offensively...)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Michigan State - could easily have been 70-0.

Heck, we sat the QB and starting OL early in the 3rd quarter and knocked the two starting QBs out - their third stringer was a starting WR who got drilled earlier in the game and had to be taken out.

I've never seen so many players from an opposing team simply beat down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.