Kirby Smart gets a raise

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Any doubt he's coach in waiting? Three years, about right, almost four million dollars. Hopefully that holds him over if Coach Saban decides this is his last contract.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Any doubt he's coach in waiting? Three years, about right, almost four million dollars. Hopefully that holds him over if Coach Saban decides this is his last contract. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I've never liked the concept of 'Coach in Waiting'.

(Seldom works out)

When the time comes we will hire the best man, that we think will lead us in the best way.
I'm really a fan of Kirby Smart, but he may not get the call when CNS decides to retire.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have Kirby as our Head Coach.
HOWEVER... Whoever succeeds Coach Saban will walk into a scenario similar to what Coach Perkins faced when he followed Coach Bryant.
(I admit that Coach Perkins brought some of the criticism on himself.)
Following a 'Legend' everyone will question your every call
unless you WIN...
(Yes, Coach Saban has probably became a Legend at Alabama)

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

(Seldom works out)

When the time comes we will hire the best man, that we think will lead us in the best way.
I'm really a fan of Kirby Smart, but he may not get the call when CNS decides to retire.
HOWEVER... Whoever succeeds Coach Saban will walk into a scenario similar to what Coach Perkins faced when he followed Coach Bryant.
unless you WIN...
While I completely understand your opinion, I personally don't really have one. The main person who would have the most influence in a coach in waiting position at the University of Alabama has stated publicly that he is in favor of the coach in waiting position, if handled properly.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

(Seldom works out)

unless you WIN...
I understand what you're saying about following a legend, but CKS would have the advantage of having been on Saban's staff throughout his tenure. And, although I'm just guessing here, I think CKS would inherit a lot more talent than Perkins had when he took over.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If I could pick a coach for Bama to follow Saban, and my choice was between Smart and Les Miles, I'd take Smart every time. And that's even with knowing that Miles does pretty well running a program Saban got going.
I would love to see Smart step in after Saban. Saban coaches up his players, but he also coaches up/ improves his assistant coaches. If the plan is for Kirby to replace Saban, I bet Saban will have him ready.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Any doubt he's coach in waiting? Three years, about right, almost four million dollars. Hopefully that holds him over if Coach Saban decides this is his last contract.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Bill Battle is only AD while Coach Saban is football coach because Saban is the ADIW (AD in waiting for those unfamiliar with RTR91 abbreviations.)
Kirby will take over HC when Saban assumes his next position.:wink:

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
I for one hope he is the coach in waiting and coach in training. I think each situation, Perkins and Dubose, are much different than today. From a former player I know in the Dubose era, he just did not know how to be a head coach. Practice would start, and he was with the d-line the entire practice. Come game time, he just did not have a grasp on what to do as a head coach. When I see KS on the sideline, he just seems more in tune with the full flow of the game. Plus he loves recruiting, which Dubose and Perkins were never very excited about doing. KS has helped build the atmosphere we have now, which goes a long way when Saban retires.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Not trying to start anything, i just find it interesting that Burns has been here six years, carries the title assoc. head coach and is one of the lowest paid coaches on staff. I am sure there are reasons and $315k is nothing to walk away from. It's interesting to see how the salaries line up and that one just kind of puzzled me a bit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.