Nick Saban on AJ McCarron: 'He is the Best Leader on Our Team'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

"I remember the first scrimmage AJ was in, we made him play with the threes," Saban said with a grin. "He was hot behind the collar and fussing out on the field and stormed up to my office when the scrimmage was over and said, 'How come you made me play with the threes? I thought I was going to be with the twos.' I said, 'We're only evaluating your leadership today and you failed.'"

It was a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek story about a quarterback who has since led two Alabama teams to BCS national championships, but Saban said it also shows how far the former St. Paul's star has come in his development as a leader.

"He has come a long way," Saban said of McCarron. "Now he is the best leader on our team, and has been, and is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. We're certainly pleased and proud to have him being our quarterback."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS has brought AJ's fire "under control!"

We knew he had it, but it had to be tempered! CNS probably sees alot of himself in AJ.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
"I remember the first scrimmage AJ was in, we made him play with the threes," Saban said with a grin. "He was hot behind the collar and fussing out on the field and stormed up to my office when the scrimmage was over and said, 'How come you made me play with the threes? I thought I was going to be with the twos.' I said, 'We're only evaluating your leadership today and you failed.'"
CNS is the Master Motivator. I almost spit my coffee reading that.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
CNS has brought AJ's fire "under control!"

We knew he had it, but it had to be tempered! CNS probably sees alot of himself in AJ.
You nailed it, they are just to much alike. I just can't see all the goo goo & gaa gaa over these other QB's in the SEC . Look who has the rings. This will be AJ's team at least the offense for sure.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Good read. If I was a player, I'd want CNS to be getting after me because that means he sees a lot of potential. Everyone knows his "pat" on AJ against MSU a few years back; he was known to get on Andre Smith at practice; and most recently, he was working Geno Smith last year. Geno's improved tremendously over the season and now looks to be a major contributor.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Coach Saban knew what AJ was capable of & took AJ under his wing to bring out that true potential..The public spanking on National TV was real emotions & true leadership by Coach Saban..Coach seems closer to AJ than any player he's coached..That's JMO..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I thought that myself, but thankfully they are two different coaches in a way.
I think the biggest thing is it is a different time. You have to treat these guys a lot different now than when Coach Bryant was coaching (and that includes practices with no water, no time constraints on practice hours, etc.....).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.