Question: When was the first "SEC" cheer?

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
A friend and I were recently discussing the fact that the SEC is the only conference whose fans chant the conference name after big victories. We were wondering about the history of this tradition.

For me, the first time I remember cheering "SEC, SEC, SEC" was in 1999 at Auburn. Shaun Alexander ran for 199 yards, and we scored a safety in the third quarter to put the game away. Our next game was against Florida for the conference championship. At some point in the 4th quarter, the Alabama section spontaneously began chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC." It was awesome.

Was this the first time for this cheer or had versions occurred prior? What is the history of this cheer?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know about the SEC cheer in 1999 (I'm not disputing your statement, just saying I don't know about it).

The wholesale adoption by teams of the cheer SEEMS to stem from a couple of alleged injustices a decade ago involving a pair of Tigers.

In 2003, LSU (coached by Coach Saban) looked to be on the outside looking in for a national title. (Just last night I watched my DVD of this game and noticed some major differences as well as similarities between Saban's LSU defense and ours - his LSU defense used to be extremely vulnerable in the middle of the field, he now has that area covered). LSU was number three behind USC and Oklahoma, the only unbeaten. The Sooners then got pasted, 35-7, by K-State in the Big 12 title game yet - still inexplicably - got into the BCS title game (this being one of the big reasons a lot of us consider the BCS a farce, although to be fair they changed the formula after this debacle).

USC lost in triple overtime to Cal, LSU lost 19-7 to Florida, and OU got drilled. Yet in the bizarro world of the BCS, it was OU who got the call. It really looked like it was OU-USC.....and then a series of losses by Notre Dame and Hawaii (IIRC) set up LSU in the game. LSU won, but then in a bizarre move, the AP gave USC THEIR version of the title. It appeared to be a sort of "in your face" at LSU, suggesting that the Tigers could not have beaten USC.

The following year, 2004, Auburn ran the table in the SEC. While I realize it is not PC on this board to say positive things on Auburn - running the table in the SEC is no small feat. But primarily because OU and USC had been 1-2 the bulk of the year, they met in the BCS title game. And USC won their now nonexistent national title.

In 2005, Alabama was the one with a pending problem. The Tide got to number three and 9-0, while the media was screeching about the "inevitable" Texas-USC showdown. Thankfully, we were not left out as we lost to LSU and Auburn. But everyone knew how close it came to happening.

Then in 2006, Florida played a monster schedule and lost only to Auburn. But in early October, the ESPN machine - loaded mostly with graduates of Big Ten schools (Greenberg, Musberger, and Wilbon - Northwestern; Herbstreit - Ohio St) or at least Northern schools (Kornheiser, Reali, Ryan, Lupica) - began priming the country about how "if the Michigan-Ohio State game is close, there should be a rematch." Poor Florida played the nation's toughest schedule but were ranked fourth, behind Ohio State, Michigan, and USC. The Gators only got into the game because USC somehow choked and lost to UCLA (a 28-point underdog mind you) and then Florida beat a ten-win Arkansas team for the SEC title.

Urban Cryer campaigned for it (legitimately) and Danielson spent the entire game trying to argue the case for the Gators. Then - Florida moved up mostly due to the rematch fatigue. Then they listened for a solid month about how they didn't have a chance to beat Ohio State.

Florida 42
Ohio State 14

I think that is where it REALLY came out. SEC fans had been jobbed in 2003, 2004, and would have been in 2005 AND 2006.

Now, I don't really get that much into it. I'll usually only yell it when it involves "not Auburn" and a B1G team. Otherwise, I have no use for it.

Another time it MAY have happened (I don't know, but it sounds reasonable) was in 1992, after we beat Miami. The SEC was disparaged that year as being "run heavy" and "one dimensional." Nobody ever bothered to look at the fact that Miami's record in during their 1980s dynasty against the SEC was much less than stellar (they got routed in the 1986 Sugar Bowl by an average Tennessee team, 35-7).

But the bursting forth into prominence began in 2006.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I remember the barn fans doing the cheer after the ice bowl in 2000, when they clenched the sec west with the cheer.

I would guess it probably started around the time that the conference went to two divisions and teams would clench a berth.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I also think there are two distinct SEC cheers: the one you do when you beat a conference foe to secure a conference title; the one you do when you're handily beating a team from another traditional conference. I think the latter (the one that makes other conferences so mad) is a more recent phenomenon than the former...

Last edited:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
LSU won, but then in a bizarre move, the AP gave USC THEIR version of the title. It appeared to be a sort of "in your face" at LSU, suggesting that the Tigers could not have beaten USC.
It probably wasn't that so much as that AP sportswriters are to USC like 12 year-old girls are to Justin Bieber.

In fact, AP sportswriters (especially Skip Bayless) have a lot of things in common with 12 year-old girls. They spend too much time on the phone, they haven't mastered the full size brassiere yet, and they giggle when they see Matt Barkley.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.