Link: Rolando McClain Arrested Again In Decatur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If this was the first incident, I wouldn't give these charges a second thought...BUT...BUT...

If keeping my money was a condition of not going home until after I retired, you wouldn't catch me there at all. At some point common sense has to drown out bravado. Personally, I think he's targeted; by police and by people trying to make a quick buck off of him. And I don't doubt for a second that he realizes this. So that begs the question: why keep going back?

This is a shining example of our conversation the other day about intelligence and sports. Ro is probably the most football intelligent player we've had here in the last 30 years, including DeMeco, Rashad, and Barrett. But his off the field decision making leaves a lot to be desired
This is the million dollar question. WHY? If he knows he's being targeted why keep trying to fight against the grain when he has SOOOOOOOOOO much at stake? It makes no sense. I haven't read any statement from the Ravens up to this point. But he could very well have terminated his one year contract before he ever cleated up, and that's sad.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Ro seems to like coming to Decatur, and getting in cops' faces telling them what a big shot he is. He makes so much money he doesn't seem to think he should follow instructions or show any respect when dealing with them in these encounters he seems to find himself in, time and again.

And like cops in any town the size of Decatur, they are happy to demonstrate to him that yes, they do have the authority to arrest him, despite his imposing size and big wallet.

My biggest concern is that unless he improves his mindset, he will one day be facing some serious legal issues, and not just the petty stuff that has been keeping him in the news. Especially if he keeps wagging a handgun around with him, like he has done before.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
A thug is a thug regardless of their financial statement. I think it is similar to alcoholics. Alcoholics who want to overcome their addiction fight it everyday. They also make active choices to avoid stumbling blocks. If he wants to change he will. Clearly he embraces his lifestyle and doesn't want to change it regardless of the consequences.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Decatur is not the problem. Thousands live there and have respect authorities and fellow citizens. He needs to learn to be a man and be responsible for his actions. I understand he has a family now. They should be his priority.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Even though he has retired....I think this would be an opportunity for Ray Lewis to get involved and mentor Rolando.

I've always felt the bigger part of this game was the development of young persons.

If there ever was a time - it is now.

I truly hope things work out for Rolando.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Decatur is not the problem. Thousands live there and have respect authorities and fellow citizens. He needs to learn to be a man and be responsible for his actions. I understand he has a family now. They should be his priority.
It's not the town itself. As I said before, I'm from there. The problem has always been his associates there. While he was at Bama, they moved heaven and earth to keep him from going "home." I use the quotes, because, the last part of HS, he was basically homeless and living with self-adopted foster families...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It's not the town itself. As I said before, I'm from there. The problem has always been his associates there. While he was at Bama, they moved heaven and earth to keep him from going "home." I use the quotes, because, the last part of HS, he was basically homeless and living with self-adopted foster families...
If he is able to stay with the Ravens he should consider relocating to the Baltimore area if he is so easily influenced. Maybe he can mature and learn to be his own man before it's too late.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
You don't have to be a thug to have emotional damage (although it can certainly contribute to becoming one). I don't know what the button is, but he'd hardly be the first person to keep going back to the well that poisons them. The reality is that almost all of us know what's up long before we can really emotionally accept it, and we keep running into the wall again and again and again. For most it's just a lot more subtle and/or lower profile.

Especially when part of a system that is broken, talented individuals tend to keep thinking they can somehow be different and overcome the circumstances. If they just beat the system at it's own game, they will somehow wipe the slate clean. All the while they could easily enough just move on and build something better in another circumstance, but it's not about sense, it's about insisting on defeating one's demons by a set of rules that are stacked mightily against that individual.

Dear Ro, "home" isn't home, and nothing you can do at this point will make it what it maybe should have been for you. Move on and make the home you should have had somewhere without the history of baggage. Moving on is not the same as giving up, it's realizing that there are other circumstances where you can actually have more control over your own life.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Ro needs to take a long look at his posse and what kind of future each one of them has in front of them and then ask himself if he wants the same for himself.

Once he blows through his money, (with a lot of help from them) his future will be the same as their's.

And I won't feel sorry for him in the least. :rolleye2:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
On a more practical note, the only professional consideration at this point is whether or not the Ravens cut him or at least give him a chance in fall camp. Hate to say it, but it's kind of hard to justify keeping him around when you get arrested (again) a whole one week after your so-called second chance and fresh start.

On a more practical note, the only professional consideration at this point is whether or not the Ravens cut him or at least give him a chance in fall camp. Hate to say it, but it's kind of hard to justify keeping him around when you get arrested (again) a whole one week after your so-called second chance and fresh start.
At a cost of only $700k, it won't be a hard decision for the Ravens to make if they want to cut him.

In all seriousness... as a cold blooded Patriots fan, I'm not going to get upset about a major conference rival having to go through this.

Now that I think about it, I wish he had taken a couple of Broncos players to Decatur with him.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed. Ozzie/The Ravens have enough talent on that defense and do such a great job at managing that organization that Ro needs them more than they need him. I will be very surprised if they keep him.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
here's a poll from the baltimore sun cecil just tweeted.

Poll: What should Ravens do with Rolando McClain?
After Rolando McClain's arrest in Alabama over the weekend, what should the Ravens do with the linebacker?
Keep him. If any franchise can make it work with McClain, it's the Ravens. (329 responses)
33%
Cut him loose. McClain isn't worth the trouble. The Ravens don't need him. (683 responses)
67%
1012 total responses

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...-mcclain-20130422,0,910381.poll#ixzz2RCmr4XZE

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
"Disorderly conduct" and a "window tint violoation".

I'm betting the Ravens will take a chance on a potential all pro linebacker.

I've been pulled over for a window tint violation by a snotty nosed city cop and I wound up serving 10 days in jail because of the way I reacted. I was young at the time.

I've also seen the inside of the Huntsville city jail because a friend of mine was not being treated fairly. Sometimes a man has to be a man. This may not be the case with Ro here, but I'd like to hear his side of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.