Les Miles is tired of playing Florida every year

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I wouldn't mind seeing Florida play Bama in the regular season - at least every other year. I miss our games together. We've had some epic battles! Maybe we can get back to the SECCG this season.

In the meantime I think Les has a point although you'd think (in looking at that chart) 10rc would the one complaining!

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The argument is short-sited. Tennessee has not always been the push-over they are now. And the table in the article only compares the last 4 seasons.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I posted tweets from a few of the coaches' teleconferences yesterday. Saban, Miles, Franklin and Muschamp are in favor of non-divisional games.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's kind of funny to me. LSU has done an admirable job scheduling out of conference for years - they and Tennessee and now us have been the best at taking on challenges (to be fair we dropped some games and delayed others to give Fran schedule relief). In recent years since CNS was at LSU they've played Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Washington, West VA, and some other decent foes. So I understand his frustration / too much Fla, not enough Vandy.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The argument is short-sited. Tennessee has not always been the push-over they are now. And the table in the article only compares the last 4 seasons.
Since UT and UF started playing every year in 1990, the Vols are 6-17 against the Gators. Gators have won 8 straight and that trend doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Les has a legitimate beef. Florida owns Tennessee.

Last night at church a Vol fan was telling me how Butch Jones says the key to beating Alabama is to make AJ eat grass 6 times in the first half. These Vol fans are incorrigible.:biggrin:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just drop cross divisional rivalries altogether, paly the 6 inter divisional teams and two cross divisional teams home and away for two years then pick up two more. CFB has changed, the SEC has changed so let's move on.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Since UT and UF started playing every year in 1990, the Vols are 6-17 against the Gators. Gators have won 8 straight and that trend doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Les has a legitimate beef. Florida owns Tennessee.

Last night at church a Vol fan was telling me how Butch Jones says the key to beating Alabama is to make AJ eat grass 6 times in the first half. These Vol fans are incorrigible.:biggrin:
Didn't we give up nearly that number of sacks/hurries/knockdowns last year against Western Kentucky? How did that work out for them? ;) I know it's not exactly a comparable situation but just because you get to AJ doesn't guarantee a victory. We have a multiplicity of weapons, and you have to deal with our defense. The rhetoric out of Knoxville is usually good for a laugh.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Just drop cross divisional rivalries altogether, paly the 6 inter divisional teams and two cross divisional teams home and away for two years then pick up two more. CFB has changed, the SEC has changed so let's move on.

The Bama-10rc rivalry is 94 games long. You can't just casually scrap that and "move on."

Tradition is too big a part of CFB to be trampled on. Just like our uni's, some things are above change just for the sake of change.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Bama-10rc rivalry is 94 games long. You can't just casually scrap that and "move on."

Tradition is too big a part of CFB to be trampled on. Just like our uni's, some things are above change just for the sake of change.
Whether folks like it or not, tradition can be broken. After all, the "Third Saturday in October" isn't always played on the third Saturday in October, so that's one tradition that has been casually scrapped.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did he directly address it? He seemed more in favor of a 9th conference game than of dropping Tennessee.

Les Miles whines too much, I guess he knows that a down year is coming...
From an al.com article:

"Every player should have the opportunity in his four-year career to play every SEC school," Alabama coach Nick Saban said.

"If we don't at least have a two-team rotation with the other side, East (or) West, whatever you're in, that doesn't really happen," Saban said. "The one fixed opponent and one-team rotation means you're going to the play the other teams (every) six or seven years."
Either he is in favor or he's wanting 9 games.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Whether folks like it or not, tradition can be broken. After all, the "Third Saturday in October" isn't always played on the third Saturday in October, so that's one tradition that has been casually scrapped.
Changing the weekend the game is played on is a little more tradition friendly than changing the number of times a decade the teams play.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
From an al.com article:

Either he is in favor or he's wanting 9 games.
CNS has said multiple times that he's in favor of a 9 game conference schedule. The push back on the SEC schedule length is from teams like USCe and Florida that have tough OOC rivalry games they have to schedule for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.