Link: Study: Want to Get Drafted in the NFL? Go to Kentucky, Not Alabama!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This appears to be a case where numbers aren't telling the story. Link to the article.

In the 2012 NFL draft, the first round selections included multiple players from Alabama, USC, LSU and Notre Dame. The Crimson Tide had 4 of the first 25 picks! To hardcore college football fans, these first round draft results are expected since colleges like Alabama and USC are perennial members of the lists of top recruiting classes.

A statistical analysis of draft picks versus college recruiting rankings confirms this simple story. A regression analysis of the number of picks selected from a given school versus the number of five-star, four-star, and three-star players in the school’s recruiting class reveals a significant positive relationship between the number of players drafted and the number of four and five-star recruits. The relationship between three-star recruits and draft picks is insignificant. Specifically, we found that every five-star player signed by a school translates to 0.33 draft picks, and every four-star player translates to approximately 0.09 draft picks. If we examine only players selected in the first three rounds of the draft, then each five-star recruit produces 0.23 picks and each four-star recruit results in 0.05 picks.

bonehouse81

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
I might like to see a larger sample size of schools just to verify that there wasn't a lot of cherry-picking going on with the selected schools, but it's not unreasonable to assume that getting more playing time early in your career at a "lesser" school can lead to greater development than you'd get by not playing as much at a big-time school.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
You can make numbers say what you want them to say in a "study" like this. Look in the NFL, and tell me how many UK players are regular contributors compared to LSU, Bama, and other elite schools. The only UK player I can think of is Randall Cobb returning kicks for GB. Tamme (sp?) has also been a contributor at TE during his playing career. You have to go beyond draft picks and look at actual playing time in the league to determine which teams actually put players in the league. Furthermore, you might want to do a study on how many players made rosters and/or were drafted high enough to get guaranteed contracts. Just because you were selected in round 3 doesn't mean you will be playing in the NFL.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
The explanation to this is simple statistics. If you have a small number of elite prospects, and you get lucky with a few of them making it to the NFL, your numbers are, by default, skewed above the average. The Wildcats, Beavers, and Illini have not had many elite recruits, and they just happened to be ones that skewed favorably rather than unfavorably. This kind of examination is pointless if your "n" for each school is too small. For example, if I say that out of all schools flipping a coin, 50.01% of flips were heads, this would be expected, as it is the aggregate of every school flipping the coin. But if each school flipped only twice, then roughly 1/4 of the schools would have a 100% success rate flipping heads. So, unless you had a number of good recruits (i.e. "n" in the study), then the numbers mean nothing.

However, if you have a lot of talent, these numbers can tell a LOT. If someone did a full statistical analysis on this study, I would anticipate that UK, UI, and OrSU would be outliers, and not statistically significant. I would guess that the difference in success between FSU and Alabama would be statistically relevant. There likely is a trend between Alabama and the other schools with a lot of "elite" recruits, but it may or may not be statistically significant (Confidence interval of 95% = only 5% chance the results could be random).

The 3 most intriguing results in this study seem to be Stanford, Alabama, and FSU. Stanford gets less "elite" recruits, but they get enough that their outcomes may be statistically significant compared to the mean.

What I take from this: If you're choosing between FSU and UA...go to UA.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
It makes sense. There is much less competition at Kentucky, so top recruits have an easier path to playing time and being drafted. At Bama a 5 star recruit might not even start, and of course if he doesn't start he probably will not be drafted. A lot of great recruits get drowned in the sea of talent at Bama.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
It makes sense. There is much less competition at Kentucky, so top recruits have an easier path to playing time and being drafted. At Bama a 5 star recruit might not even start, and of course if he doesn't start he probably will not be drafted. A lot of great recruits get drowned in the sea of talent at Bama.
Some 5 stars never played much, if any, for us too. I'm sure those guys really skew the numbers. As another poster mentioned, you can be very creative with any type of mathematical equation. With a new sheriff, UK may be trying to get this "message" out there for potential recruits.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Translated: "Study gives incredible weight to schools who sign a lot of 'high three-star' athletes. And not 'high' as in Tyrann Mathieu 'high.' "

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bob played QB at Kentucky. He threw one pass in his career. The ball was batted back into his face mask and bounced 40 feet in the air traveling 15 yards backwards. His running back, who was knocked 15 yards backwards trying to pass block got up and caught the ball. The defense thinking the play was over, ran off the field without trying to tackle the running back who ran untouched 80 yards for a touchdown.

Statistical conclusion- Bob completed 100% of his passes for an average of 80 yards per attempt and a 100% Pass Attempt to Touchdown Ratio.
He was never sacked and never threw an interception.
Kentucky therefore is hands down the best school in the country when it comes to developing Quarterbacks.
:)

Personally, I love statistics and they can sometimes truly be revealing. In this case I think a writer was having trouble coming up with something to write about.
Sip

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
The explanation to this is simple statistics. If you have a small number of elite prospects, and you get lucky with a few of them making it to the NFL, your numbers are, by default, skewed above the average. The Wildcats, Beavers, and Illini have not had many elite recruits, and they just happened to be ones that skewed favorably rather than unfavorably. This kind of examination is pointless if your "n" for each school is too small. For example, if I say that out of all schools flipping a coin, 50.01% of flips were heads, this would be expected, as it is the aggregate of every school flipping the coin. But if each school flipped only twice, then roughly 1/4 of the schools would have a 100% success rate flipping heads. So, unless you had a number of good recruits (i.e. "n" in the study), then the numbers mean nothing.

However, if you have a lot of talent, these numbers can tell a LOT. If someone did a full statistical analysis on this study, I would anticipate that UK, UI, and OrSU would be outliers, and not statistically significant. I would guess that the difference in success between FSU and Alabama would be statistically relevant. There likely is a trend between Alabama and the other schools with a lot of "elite" recruits, but it may or may not be statistically significant (Confidence interval of 95% = only 5% chance the results could be random).

The 3 most intriguing results in this study seem to be Stanford, Alabama, and FSU. Stanford gets less "elite" recruits, but they get enough that their outcomes may be statistically significant compared to the mean.

What I take from this: If you're choosing between FSU and UA...go to UA.
Agreed, but I think there's even more to it than that (if I understand the "study" correctly). Taking the extreme boundary case of a school that has no 4 or 5* recruits demonstrates the absurdity. If you have a program with nothing but 2* and 3* recruits playing, some of those players will eventually pan out as draft picks. If you produce even 1 draft pick over the 6 year period from your 140 or so recruits... well 1 divided by 0...

The study attempts to imply that a 5* recruit has a better probability of being a draft pick at certain schools, but that math would look something like this:
(# of 4 or 5*'s signed) / (# of 4 or 5*'s that became draft picks)
as opposed to:
(# of 4 or 5*'s signed) / (# of players of any "star" rating that became draft picks)

I don't see how the second formula provides any useful information.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Posted the study to see what others thought. Overall, I felt like it was pretty ridiculous. To show you where it's wrong, Bama has had 14 players drafted in the first round in the last 5 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.