Your Thoughts on NFL Draft (Round 1)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The CB from Houston (Hayden) that the Raiders drafted is an interesting story, he had a big health scare last year, but now that he was recently cleared medically, he rose up the charts quickly.

Mike Mayock and Greg Cosell both moved him ahead of Dee Milliner as the best CB available.

Sounds crazy, but he must have some great game film.

The second round has a lot of good players left, i hope Lacy lands in a good spot.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Here are my quick thoughts on the 1st round:

Winners:

1. Jacksonville - They get a chance to get bookend tackles in Eugene Monroe & Luke Joeckel . And Geno Smith will fall to them early in the second round.

2. Rex Ryan - He gets to replace Darrell Revis without all the hype and the headache. And he gets a fresh and much more athletic anchor for his defensive front in Sheldon Richardson

3. Chris Johnson - he very publicly thanked God for Warmack being drafted to Tennessee

4. Rick Spielman - All 3 of his first round picks are plug & play.

5. Matt Schaub - Having Nuk Hopkins opposite Andre Johnson is going to be something special.

6. Bill Belichick - He fleeced Minnesota out of 4 picks for that late pick to get Cordarrell Patterson.

7. Ozzie Newsome - Smartest GM in football.

Losers

1. Rick Spielman - how do you give up four picks for one? And yes you have Greg Jennings and Patterson, but who's gonna throw to them? Ponder? Hahahahaha

2. Jerry Jones - Everybody, let's all look at the Cowboys and laugh for using a 1st round pick on what is surely a 3rd round (at best) center.

3. Geno Smith - if I gotta QB a bad team, I at least wanna be paid handsomely for it. He'll probably go to the Jags, but not for 1st round money

4.,The running back position - As the years go on, the NFL puts less and less value on the RB position. The teams that win typically have solid ground games, but airing it out sells tickets. And with so many rule changes that heavily favor a more wide open passing attack, I don't blame teams for not investing heavily in RBs.

Other thoughts:

I almost threw up when we picked Eric Reid. I don't like the pick at all. I wanted Matt Elam. I thought he fit what we do a lot better. I've watched enough of LSU over the past several years to know I didn't want Reid, but we've got one of the best DB coaches in the league. So hopefully we can make some headway. Now on to replacing Chris Culliver.

Jarvis Jones will have to get much tougher to play in Pittsburgh but other than that, I can't think of a player who's a better fit for a team

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
overall I think getting lineman, D and O is a winning strategy early in the draft. That said there were quite a few really baffling picks, dallas being the biggest head scratcher. Some of the early trades also didn't seem to need to happen.

Feel bad for EL and Jesse. Though I thought both would end up on day 2 for various reasons it still is a shame that it did.

Feel bad for Geno Smith. Not because I think he is a first round talent (I wouldn't take him before the 3rd if it were my team) but because the media hyped him up way above where he should be and he had to sit there with the cameras all over him being humiliated.

Same for T'eo but I don't feel bad about it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Don't agree. Roman Harper isn't getting any younger. I figured they would go either Safety or LB and this Texas kid is a stud.
The Saint's "problems" in the secondary for years have been one thing---NO pass rush and NO ability to stop the run up front. They need secondary people about as bad as they need someone to replace Drew Brees.
Unless they get some legitimate people up front they're going to continue to be horrific on defense no matter who they have in the secondary.
All I'm saying.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
The Saint's "problems" in the secondary for years have been one thing---NO pass rush and NO ability to stop the run up front. They need secondary people about as bad as they need someone to replace Drew Brees.
Unless they get some legitimate people up front they're going to continue to be horrific on defense no matter who they have in the secondary.
All I'm saying.
No doubt the Saints need a pass rush end and also a new Mike LB. I thought if Mingo was available they would go after him but this pick is still a need. Heck, their whole Defense is a need.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Mack, great breakdown.
Sip, as a fellow Saints fan, I agree. Are they looking to replace the grey head at safety? Several good DEs and OLBs were there.
EL is a great talent, but injuries have to scare teams away.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't really have a NFL team but I watched the draft and a few things that jumped out at me

1. Jerry Jones and the Cowboys continue to overpay for draft picks. The kid was "honorable mention" of centers in the Big 10. He wasn't even the best center in his conference. But that's Jerry for you.

2. Sam Montgomery (LSU) very well cost himself first round money with his comments about taking plays off.

3. I'm not real happy with Milliner going to the Jets. Unless he comes out of the gate playing like a pro bowler he will get ripped to shreds by the NY media and fans. But either way congrats Dee!!!!

4. The Titans and Chance Warmack will be a wonderful happy marriage. Congrats Chance!!!!

5. San Diego made a smart pick and I believe this will be another happy marriage. Congrats DJ!!!!

6. Minnesota is stupid. Got fleeced by N.E. to get back in the first round. Did they not learn anything from the Herchel Walker trade?

7. The Bills are stupid. EJ Manuel is not a franchise QB not worth 1st round money. Not saying he won't be. But he's not ready to play ala Andrew Luck/RGIII

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Can't link it due to language... But, from the Onion:

"Manti Te'o Informed He'll Go First Overall To Nebraska Pioneers"

“Coach Pfeiffer called this morning to say the Pioneers are taking me first,” said Te’o, who confirmed that he has agreed to a tentative four-year, $32.5 million contract with the Omaha-based Pioneers. “Obviously, it’s a huge honor, and I’m so excited to work alongside Tom Brady, Justin Smith, Calvin Johnson, and the rest of my new teammates. We’re going to shake things up in the NFC Midwest this year.”

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Some of the comments on here make it pretty clear that people have literally watched or read anything about this draft. Some of these guys people are criticizing were actually though to be first round talent.

The Raiders move was actually pretty good they need picks more than they needed the number 3 pick in the draft. They ended up getting a CB which they needed and some project as a very good player. Sure he has the health risk but it's not the idiotic move some are saying.

The Cowboys on the other hand, that was hard to explain.

I also find it hard to explain the Minnesota pick of Patterson. They gave up a ton of picks (how do the Pats always find these teams) for a guy who is a project. I do think Patterson is talented but probably not at the price they got him for.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Some of the comments on here make it pretty clear that people have literally watched or read anything about this draft. Some of these guys people are criticizing were actually though to be first round talent.

The Raiders move was actually pretty good they need picks more than they needed the number 3 pick in the draft. They ended up getting a CB which they needed and some project as a very good player. Sure he has the health risk but it's not the idiotic move some are say.

The Cowboys on the other hand, that was hard to explain.

I also find it hard to explain the Minnesota pick of Patterson. They gave up a ton of picks (how do the Pats always find these teams) for a guy who is a project. I do think Patterson is talented but probably not at the price they got him for.
How is it NE got more picks for giving up a much later round pick than the Raiders did for giving up the number three pick?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Raiders still are drafting poorly. It's like the ghost of Al Davis was with them in the war room. Who was this CB out of Houston? I've not seen him on any mock drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check CRMSNtide's quote I reposted. The guy had some medical issues (serious ones, not just a banged up foot or wrist) and shot up the charts when the was cleared. Mayock moved him to the #1 CB over Dee, but some said that was because Mayock was dissecting too much film.

I don't know why the Pat's gave up their 1st round pick. I guess they have some great trade in the works but they really need help with the running game and on defense.
The Pats trading down is nothing new. Bellichick seems to love it.

The CB from Houston (Hayden) that the Raiders drafted is an interesting story, he had a big health scare last year, but now that he was recently cleared medically, he rose up the charts quickly.

Mike Mayock and Greg Cosell both moved him ahead of Dee Milliner as the best CB available.

Sounds crazy, but he must have some great game film.

The second round has a lot of good players left, i hope Lacy lands in a good spot.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
How is it NE got more picks for giving up a much later round pick than the Raiders did for giving up the number three pick?
Well the Raiders got the 12th overall pick and then a high second round pick. The value of those is probably higher than a second, fourth, and fifth or whatever NE got.

NE got 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round pick.

Oakland swapped the 3rd pick with the 12th pick and also got Miami's 2nd round pick.

I don't know. Just seems NE got a lot more value for their trade than Oakland.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Al.com states there isn't a logical fit for Eddie in the early part of 2nd round. I guess at this point 2nd round money is all the same no matter the order. I just hate for him to have to sit there much longer. I know the wait must be brutal in front of national TV. Somewhere I read that he didn't plan to go to New York, but after certain projections were made he was encouraged to go. Hope it all pays off for him tonight!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Al.com states there isn't a logical fit for Eddie in the early part of 2nd round. I guess at this point 2nd round money is all the same no matter the order. I just hate for him to have to sit there much longer. I know the wait must be brutal in front of national TV. Somewhere I read that he didn't plan to go to New York, but after certain projections were made he was encouraged to go. Hope it all pays off for him tonight!
I was hoping he wouldn't go. I just thought there was too much risk with him. Thankfully ESPN was too busy showing Geno that they never showed Eddie as far as I saw.

I was also surprised how they didn't show Floyd they had him projected way higher than Geno and he stuck around forever.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
Another reason that running backs are pick that high anymore are the fact that it is a lot easier to hit on a running back in the later rounds. Maybe easier than any other position.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't really have a NFL team but I watched the draft and a few things that jumped out at me

1. Jerry Jones and the Cowboys continue to overpay for draft picks. The kid was "honorable mention" of centers in the Big 10. He wasn't even the best center in his conference. But that's Jerry for you.

2. Sam Montgomery (LSU) very well cost himself first round money with his comments about taking plays off.

3. I'm not real happy with Milliner going to the Jets. Unless he comes out of the gate playing like a pro bowler he will get ripped to shreds by the NY media and fans. But either way congrats Dee!!!!

4. The Titans and Chance Warmack will be a wonderful happy marriage. Congrats Chance!!!!

5. San Diego made a smart pick and I believe this will be another happy marriage. Congrats DJ!!!!

6. Minnesota is stupid. Got fleeced by N.E. to get back in the first round. Did they not learn anything from the Herchel Walker trade?

7. The Bills are stupid. EJ Manuel is not a franchise QB not worth 1st round money. Not saying he won't be. But he's not ready to play ala Andrew Luck/RGIII
I gotta agree with you on everything here. I can't believe with GMac Sr. in the Cowboys organization they didn't take Barrett Jones over that center from Wisconsin. Whatever. Maybe I just see the world through crimson colored glasses. :blush:

I hate the Jets but hope Dee can prove his worth quickly. Some of the worst fans EVER, except I agree with them in regards to their QB's. That organization is just a cluster of big egos. Seems like there is no cohesion of the coaching staff. I may just be too infatuated with Belicheck and the Harbaugh boys, though. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.