Will this year's team be as good as last year's team?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
With A.J. returning and Coach Saban at the helm I think anything is possible.

So........

1) Will the team be as good as last year's?

2) Will Bama repeat as N.C.?

Opinions please?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that last year's Alabama team was the best that I have ever seen play college football, so I'll answer no to question number 1. As for question number 2, you have the inside track but a loss almost certainly means the end of the chase. I see the voters looking for reasons NOT to put Bama in the BCSCG. You can't give them one.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
As it stands right now, it would appear that our 2 toughest games are going to be @A&M and home against LSU. Ohio State is now bowl eligible, and their schedule is an absolute joke, and it looks like they'll go undefeated, so that could be one spot in the NCG. ND, Stanford, and Oregon, even without Chip Kelly, should all be good again and any one of them could go undefeated and make it to the NCG, and although it's possible we could lose to A&M or LSU and still get in, looking at Ohio State's schedule, it's looking like Bama may have to go undefeated to go back to the NCG.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
It is my feeling based on what I saw last weekend and from the coach's comments that we need some experience on the d side of the ball. Looks like the secondary needs some work since we have moved some folks over there. It seemed to me like AJ was trying to do too much in the scrimmage...not a flame but an observation and we cannot have that in the fall. I can easily see 3 losses if we do not improve. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It really hinges on the DL and OL. The "back 8" and offensive skill talent is title caliber. This team could be a lot like 2008 UGA if the lines falter.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I don't think we'll be as good on the D side of the ball..Instead of being a Top 10 D..I think we'll drop to a Top 15 D(G)..On the offensive side of the ball..With AJ running the show..Combined with what could be our best stable of RB's ever at Bama..By the end of the year..I honestly think this will be our best offense ever at Bama....With all that said..I honestly think this will be the best team Coach Saban's had at Bama..We may not blow out every team in the first few games by the 4th quarter..But..When our O-Line gels as a unit as the season goes on..This team will become the best we've seen at Bama..Others will disagree..That's ok as well..That's how I see this years version of The Crimson Tide..

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I think we're gonna be just fine. I'm not at all worried about our talent level, Coach Saban is always going to have that covered, same with coaching and development. To me, the biggest varible will be leadership within the team. If we have enough leaders step up and demand excellence, 2013 could be pretty special.

Sooner or later someone is gonna win 3 in a row, it might as well be us, especially considering that Coach Bryant got screwed out of it....TWICE!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that last year's Alabama team was the best that I have ever seen play college football, so I'll answer no to question number 1. As for question number 2, you have the inside track but a loss almost certainly means the end of the chase. I see the voters looking for reasons NOT to put Bama in the BCSCG. You can't give them one.
You realize the OP is a UF fan first and a Bama fan second? Just noting your use of the pronoun "you" would apply equally to you. :) Saban has said that, overall talent-wise, this team is stronger. From there, it depends on development and whether they "buy in," from top to bottom. If they do, the sky's the limit. There will be more emphasis on the offense and the passing game...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Top 15 D? LOL. We'll be top 5, no question.

The offense will be devastating.

This team, on paper, is probably the best team CNS has had. We'll see what happens, but the talent is there to be absolutely phenomenal.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Last year's O was the best in school history breaking several records (points scored, total offense, etc) and having some major "firsts" (i.e., 1
2 1,000 yd backs). But, I look for this O to be even better. I'd love to see AJ get to 40 TD passes. And, we could easily have 2 1,000 yard rushers again.

On D, I was impressed with the development of the secondary- esp. Vinnie Sunseri- so I think we'll be fine. Top 10 unit for sure.

ST- we will be fine if we can nail down the PK duties. Mandell has developed into a great punter. His avg. in the Spring game was good (over 45 yd. avg).

So, yes, I expect us to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Top 15 D? LOL. We'll be top 5, no question.

The offense will be devastating.

This team, on paper, is probably the best team CNS has had. We'll see what happens, but the talent is there to be absolutely phenomenal.
I can't really argue with ya about that Brad..More than likely you will be correct..My main concern will be if Ivory & company can be the "Plug Stopper" that Jesse was..If he can fill that void..This D could end up being the best ever at Bama..

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Whether or not this team is better will depend on several factors.

1. And this is always 1, whether or not we can stay relatively healthy, and absolutely healthy on the offensive line and at QB. We have talent behind AJ and they're gonna have to play one day, but you WANT your 3 year starter at the helm. As far as the offensive line, depth won't be an issue, but as we saw with last year's team, continuity across the front is key.

2. The progression of Adrian Hubbard, Ed Stinson, Xzavier Dickson, and Denzell Devall. If these guys can get consistent significant pressure on opposing QBs, it will mask most of whatever inexperience and faults our DBs may have.

3. Cade Foster - We need to still get points when drives stall. We need consistency from him on the long and short kicks.

4. Finally, we have a stable of backs..literally...but someONE needs to cement themselves as the Ying to Yeldon's Yang. Whether it's Drake, Henry, Jones, Hart,Kamara or Fowler. Somebody has to be that quick study that Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson were in 08 and 09 respectively.

If all that's good, I can go ahead and book my flight to Pasadena right now.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wish all the turnovers the offense made were scripted.
Remember Coach Saban said that it was good and bad.. considering they were going against each other... both team improved. Coach Saban never really had anytihng to say anything about his team in a positive way every spring. I think it's little too early to determine whether this team will be good.. we'll know after three games.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of the assistants told a friend of mine, before the season, that, if we had even one season-ending injury in the DBs, we could kiss our hopes of a repeat goodbye. After the remark was made, there were two...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.