Link: Medical Issues Caused Eddie Lacy to Drop in NFL Draft (Steelers question motivation)

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Re: Medical Issues Caused Eddie Lacy to Drop in NFL Draft

The link Earle posted said:

And CBS Sports said this:

Maybe I'm just missing it.....am it's not like I a Steelers fan.....but it seems like it's the reporter questioning Lacy's motivation and he's using the "buzz around the program" to justify it. All I see attributed to the Steelers is concern over the injury itself.
You may be right, lack of work ethic may be what the reporter is saying.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And CBS Sports said this:

Maybe I'm just missing it.....am it's not like I a Steelers fan.....but it seems like it's the reporter questioning Lacy's motivation and he's using the "buzz around the program" to justify it. All I see attributed to the Steelers is concern over the injury itself.
They've leaked other, similar stuff. This CBS reporter is just repeating what they've told him...

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN

The buzz around the Alabama program was that he wasn't taking that side of it seriously enough, it was reflected in poor times and a muscle injury that set him back, and he never quite recovered.
I find it hard to imagine that there was negative buzz for the Alabama program regarding EL. Seems to contradict the opinion that CNS expressed after he was drafted.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I find it hard to imagine that there was negative buzz for the Alabama program regarding EL. Seems to contradict the opinion that CNS expressed after he was drafted.
I don't believe a single word of it either. I think the Steelers' PR people made it up and passed on to this reporter, who took their word for it. It's really odd to see an organization like the Steelers sweating a no-pick. I've never seen this before...

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL

I've never liked the Steelers and now I have more reason not to. Lacy played most of 2012 banged up and probably most of his career at Alabama. I can understand you questioning the fact he has been hurt a lot but to question his motivation? He said in an interview before the BCS title game that right before the Notre Dame game was the first time he had been 100% all year. Yet he played through it and worked his tail off, and you question his motivation?

Well thankfully their QB is a stand up citizen...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If the Steelers leaked this type of specific information about Lacy, wouldn't they be violating HIPAA laws?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I saw that on another site too. Cecil has a good article countering the assertion of the Steelers. I understand the medical concerns because his playing time was a rather small sample, but to say he has a bad attitude is pretty absurd considering the injuries he's battled back from and his patiently waiting his turn for us.
And to my knowledge this was the FIRST time I've heard anything about his "bad attitude" since he committed to Bama.

I could barely believe it. I just can't think of a franchise ever unleashing a propaganda war to cover for a non-pick. I'll take him, fused toe or not over Bell. He averaged almost 2 YPC over Bell. How can anyone watch him against ND and then fall back on the toe and motivation. He emasculated T'eo, who was drafted ahead of him...
That's all this is, propoganda to justify their pick.

Exactly. I would bet that the decision to bypass Lacy was probably a split one, if there're any brains left in that front office. If Lacy plays the way I - and most football fans, and commentators, across the nation - believe he will, the Steeler fans are going to be furious with management, particularly if Bell plays down to expectations...
Like you, I think their fans will be very mad after bypassing Lacy. Bell would have been lucky to have been Bama's 3rd RB (that's AFTER the injuries).

Bottom line this was a business decision. I had hoped EL would go higher, but I think it is a great fit for him. As late as he went, all the other 31 teams passed on him for whatever reason. It will be up EL to prove them wrong (or right) hopefully he will be everything we all believe he will be. Best of luck to #42 and thanks for everything you did for BAMA. RTR!
This crap cost him money but in terms of winning and stepping into a "great" situation he stepped into a goldmine. He wont have the pressure of producing right away (like Trent in Cleveland, the Pack having their pass happy offense, etc.) so that will ease the pressure and allow him to just focus on playing the game which will benefit him. I thought the Pack would take him in the 1st round and I told my nephew in the 2nd round there was no way they were going to pass him up again. He just got a Lacy autographed card back from Beckett that was just graded at 9.5 so he is hoping the Packers fans enjoy him:cool:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Not to mention Eddie is going to have a great partner in Jonathan Franklin sharing carries.
Once they get the chance to prove themselves I don't see him having to share much with Franklin. He was always had problems with injuries (if I'm thinking right) and I seriously doubt he can block as good as Eddie either.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Does anybody who knows Nick Saban believe he's playing players that aren't motivated?

Most of the comments from other players I'd heard was that Lacy was good at cracking jokes, which lifted their spirits when things were pretty grueling, so I always thought he was just a laid back type. When I watched the ESPN video somebody posted recently his mother and father paint a different picture of him based on the family's problems after Katrina in 2005. It was a moving story and revealed, in my mind, just how motivated he became to overcome the devastating effects of he and his family losing everything.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Does anybody who knows Nick Saban believe he's playing players that aren't motivated?

Most of the comments from other players I'd heard was that Lacy was good at cracking jokes, which lifted their spirits when things were pretty grueling, so I always thought he was just a laid back type. When I watched the ESPN video somebody posted recently his mother and father paint a different picture of him based on the family's problems after Katrina in 2005. It was a moving story and revealed, in my mind, just how motivated he became to overcome the devastating effects of he and his family losing everything.
I think the defamation campaign is despicable and the only reason I can think of is that they missed, know they missed and now they've got to play against him with their fans holding them accountable...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
For RBs in the NFL the fit is more important to me than where you picked numbers wise. Personally, I think he got picked by the perfect franchise for his best chance at success.
Yes exactly!
EL will do Great T GB at the Steelers I just don't think so. It all worked out. This league has been trying to diminish the RB role since Emmet Smith. Mostly now they block & catch screens.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To me Eddie has one of the best attitudes I've ever seen. He faced some severe pain with the toe problem, overcame a hamstring(which isn't easy at all), had screws drilled in his hand and no telling what other nagging injuries, and he responded by not complaining and simply doing his best to be the best football player he could be and to help his football team.
Once the season was over he took a little time to heal and was thus not in tip top condition for his Pro Day. Whoopee Do.
If I'm scouting for an NFL team I'm going to watch film and see how in shape and how good a player is against competition over his entire college career and I'm dang sure not going to toss a player off the draft board because he was a little out of shape in the off season.
In my opinion Green Bay got the steal of the draft and Pittsburgh got a slightly above average running back.
It's like former G.M. Bill Pollian said in his analysis after the Packers drafted Eddie, "The happiest guy in America right now is Aaron Rogers".
Eddie went to the perfect team. He won't get run to death but he'll have a chance to shine and to have a much longer career than he would have ever had in Pittsburgh. I think it's all worked out for the best. Go 42!
RTR!
sip

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
As a life long Steelers fan, I am glad he was not picked by them. He is much better off in Green Bay and will get more touches.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The only thing that makes me unhappy is that the Niners will have to play against him. This is a perfect pick by Green Bay. It hurt to watch the NFC Championship game this past season, and see Julio shred the Niners secondary. Happy to see him play well, but not against the Niners. I have no doubt I'll feel the same way when Green Bay opens up against San Francisco in Week 1.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Eddie is a good fit for the city of Green Bay. The fans will love him. Of the last 3 Bama RBs, Eddie may have gotten the best placement.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, the main thing is that he is in the league now, with a great franchise. It's up to him now if he is to make it big (if the toe holds up), and I think he'll do just fine.

As for the Steelers, I agree they whiffed big time, know it, and are trying to cover their behinds.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I think the defamation campaign is despicable and the only reason I can think of is that they missed, know they missed and now they've got to play against him with their fans holding them accountable...
All the more reason I want them to absolutely fail now. I really am hoping EL proves them wrong in a big way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.