Link: WOW..Check Out The Drawings Of The Potential New Atlanta Falcon Stadium

Gibson09

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2010
Re: WOW..Check Out The Drawings Of The Potential New Home Of The SEC Championship Ga

The stadium will seat approximately 70,000 people, with 180 luxury suites and 7,500 club seats. The Georgia Dome seats 71,228, has 162 suites, and 5,174 club seats.

They're making it smaller?? How retarded is that...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: WOW..Check Out The Drawings Of The Potential New Home Of The SEC Championship Ga

The age old question is: if Birmingham were to build a dome, who would play in it?

שלומ
At one time the city was on the short list for an NFL team, but that ship has sailed. I don't see the league expanding any time soon. A dome might lure a team wanting to move, but it would be hard to compete against college football here.

I think mainly they would want to use it to attract big conventions and trade shows that the BJCC can't accommodate.

As for sports, I suppose the Extension Center would move their games there. It would be a better venue than what left of Legion Field, but it would still be too big for their average crowds of 15,000 or so. They'd still want an on campus stadium, but a downtown dome would probably kill any chances of them ever getting one.

I think it might attract the SEC basketball tournament, I doubt football will ever leave Atlanta. I do believe they'd be a regular stop for NCAA basketball. Maybe not a Final Four, but certainly regionals and the first two rounds could play there. It would be a good place for gymnastics, given the SEC's dominance in that sport. Just to throw out another sport, perhaps tennis.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

sorry, posted something in wrong thread.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL

That's Atlanta for you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

At one time the city was on the short list for an NFL team, but that ship has sailed. I don't see the league expanding any time soon. A dome might lure a team wanting to move, but it would be hard to compete against college football here.

I think mainly they would want to use it to attract big conventions and trade shows that the BJCC can't accommodate.

As for sports, I suppose the Extension Center would move their games there. It would be a better venue than what left of Legion Field, but it would still be too big for their average crowds of 15,000 or so. They'd still want an on campus stadium, but a downtown dome would probably kill any chances of them ever getting one.

I think it might attract the SEC basketball tournament, I doubt football will ever leave Atlanta. I do believe they'd be a regular stop for NCAA basketball. Maybe not a Final Four, but certainly regionals and the first two rounds could play there. It would be a good place for gymnastics, given the SEC's dominance in that sport. Just to throw out another sport, perhaps tennis.
I was little bitty when the Birmingham Stallions were here during the USFL era of football..How did the fans do supporting the Stallions in Alabama????..Was the fan support equal or better than other USFL teams????..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Watch this video: http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/new-falcons-stadium-renderings/vzmcf/

The one they chose has a ridiculous array of huge video boards - it looks like this stadium will truly set the standard wrt modern stadiums.

It's not going to happen without facing some difficulties, however: http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives...-funding-for-new-falcons-stadium-starts-today
Both styles look good..I like the futuristic looking stadium the best..If you're going to build a new stadium..Do something that will have folks talking about it cause of it unique design..JMO

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I was little bitty when the Birmingham Stallions were here during the USFL era of football..How did the fans do supporting the Stallions in Alabama????..Was the fan support equal or better than other USFL teams????..
I think they had one of the better attendance figures in the league. It probably helped the team did well on the field. But it would not surprise me if the announced numbers were fudged a bit.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

The stadium will seat approximately 70,000 people, with 180 luxury suites and 7,500 club seats. The Georgia Dome seats 71,228, has 162 suites, and 5,174 club seats.

NFL stadiums are usually smaller than college stadiums, and 70,000 is still a large number. Plus, the appeal of this stadium will be the many technological advances.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

You would think they would built big enough to at least be competitive in capacity with Jerry's Dome. If they did so, they would have an opportunity to host the BCS National Championship in the new era. At least 80,000 would be needed to put you in contention for that. I wouldnt waste all that money on the exterior if I could get more people into the venue.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

IIRC Birmingham was tops in attendance in the USFL. I know they drew 60,000 plus the opening game of the '84 season vs the New Jersey Generals. It was a very entertaining brand of football. More fun than watching NFL games in those days. I hated seeing the league fold (Thanks Donald Trump).

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

More luxury boxes. More money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I think the Georgia Dome II would be in good shape to bid for the BCS title game. It is in a major city with fairly decent weather in early January. Plus they are home to a number of major corporations that probably spend some major ad dollars with various NCAA events.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

IIRC Birmingham was tops in attendance in the USFL. I know they drew 60,000 plus the opening game of the '84 season vs the New Jersey Generals. It was a very entertaining brand of football. More fun than watching NFL games in those days. I hated seeing the league fold (Thanks Donald Trump).
That's really good attendance for an upstart football league..I think this area could support an NFL team should we ever get the chance..I have no faith in the folks running Birmingham to ever make that happen though..

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

IIRC, Birmingham was the second most profitable club in the USFL, following the NYNJ Generals. I think that there was quite a gap between NYNJ and everyone else, but the Stallions led the remainder.

I'm not sure on attendance in relation to other teams, but it seems that many of the games were sellouts or near sellouts of Legion Field when it accommodated 83K+.

Edit: I looked up the attendance numbers and they weren't great. No sellouts really, but pretty solid in relation to some teams. My memory isn't what it was. :cool:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.