2014 LB Zach Whitley Enrolls at UCLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Re: *** 2014 4* LB Zach Whitley decommis, commits to UCLA

True. Wonder if Mora gets enticed to the NFL after Zach enrolls. Is that grounds for de-enrolling?
I believe he'd have to sit a year anyway. I'm assuming that if he enrolled, it's on athletic scholarship and looking to leave an institution (before graduating) on athletic scholarship triggers the one year sit out rule; I think that may even be triggered by signing the LOI.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Re: *** 2014 4* LB Zach Whitley decommits, commits to UCLA

Clark will start out as a safety at Alabama.
Im starting to think we'd be better served playing him at olb. JessN pretty much nailed the issue with our d vs the hunh and it's the increasing since of our front 7. It may b time to think smaller it's why Lsu doesn't struggle as much vs the hunh

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Clark will start out as a safety at Alabama.
He's played LB in the two all-star games this year. He's probably going to end up there. He and Keith Holcombe may end up being the hybrid LB-S guys Bama needs against the HUNH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I'm looking forward to Scarbo's column tomorrow where he blasts Whitley for going back on his word and Mora for recruiting a kid who was committed to somewhere else.

Hey, he did it for Yeldon when he flipped from the Barn to here, I'm sure he'll hold others to the same standard.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I'm more worried about DB than linebacker and Miller and Hamilton are both blue chippers but I am curious if we offer another linebacker or if we use the spot for something else or just let it stay open for next year.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I'm more worried about DB than linebacker and Miller and Hamilton are both blue chippers but I am curious if we offer another linebacker or if we use the spot for something else or just let it stay open for next year.

I'm much more worried about LB at this point for the next 2 years than DB. We have 4 or 5 guys who've had at least a year experience at CB. Hopefully 2 of them will step up. All first year DB's struggle. I don't think a true freshman will be able to beat out guys who've had a year or 2 of experience under their belt. Dee Milliner struggled his first year at DB too.
At LB, we lose CJ Mosely who is almost responsible for half of our tackles this year. Reggie and Rueben haven't seen as much action as I would have hoped. Should Duvall, Hubbard (assuming he stays), or X Dickson get injured, we don't have much depth.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

I know the Calera head football coach very well. In my earlier comment about Ronnie Clark starting out at safety at Alabama, I got this info from him. I've also heard Clark say in an interview he will play safety at Alabama. I realize this can always change. For those that have mentioned that we need Clark at OLB I certainly see where you are coming from. Clark has good size and with a little time in the strength and conditioning program could easily grow into a OLB.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

The Whitley de-commitment doesn't come as much of a surprise after his out-of-nowhere official visit to UCLA a few weeks back. Despite his post-visit reassurances, I think we all knew at that point -- including the staff -- that his defection was a very real possibility.

I do hate to lose the kid, and FWIW I think he could have been a valuable contributor in Tuscaloosa. That said, we've got a lot more pressing issues defensively than his late-game flip.

Elwood Crimson

1st Team
Jul 27, 2004

RTR91 nailed it and you are all right about Ronnie Clark. He seems to be a good fit for the combo LB/S that we have been lacking the last few years.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

RTR91 nailed it and you are all right about Ronnie Clark. He seems to be a good fit for the combo LB/S that we have been lacking the last few years.
If we can keep him committed we are going to love Christian Miller in this type role also.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

If we can keep him committed we are going to love Christian Miller in this type role also.
I wouldn`t be surprised if actually more effort is put into holding on to current commits as is put into filling the last one or two spots.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: *** 2014 4* LB Zach Whitley Decommits, Commits to UCLA

@AndrewJBone Zach Whitley- "This is so hard people coming from different directions ,all great schools I just want to do what is best for me !!"

@AndrewJBone Whitley flipped his commitment from #Alabama to #UCLA last week. He has yet to enroll.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Whitley isn't scheduled to enroll at UCLA until the beginning of next week, so another flip might be possible.

Frankly, I'd like to have him back, but at the moment I'm not certain if he still has a spot. I think he probably does, provided he shows up in T'town to enroll, but not entirely certain of that just yet.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Wow talk about crazy! I'd take him though, he better hope he has room if he wants back in.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Wow talk about crazy! I'd take him though, he better hope he has room if he wants back in.
Good thing for us with him being an early enroll prospect, we can afford to wait and see what he does and still have time to take other measures if he goes elsewhere. It's a luxury you get with the early enroll kids that you don't get with the traditional prospects come NSD.

For the time being, I'm pretty confident he still has a spot if he wants it. Our staff has remained in contact with him, so the interest on our end is certainly there, and again I would imagine we could roll the dice a bit on the numbers just because he is enrolling early. I would love to have him back, admittedly. Looked like a stud in San Antonio.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

I hope he does have a spot if he so chooses to flip back to us. Much better to be in T-town than LALA land IMO!
Some noise out there that Coach Saban and Coach Burns will not go down without a fight in this one. I think Whitley signed a financial aid agreement with Bama so they have unlimited contact with him until he enrolls. I think since they are coming so hard at him that means he has a spot left in this class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.