Michael Kessens transferring in from Longwood U.?

spacerats

Scout Team
Nov 11, 2006
Re: Michael Kessens transferring in from Longwood U.

i agree. the transfers who will sit out have positioned us to be very strong in 2 years. As for next year, we will actually have 21 extra bodies than what we had for the majority of the year. Engstrom replaces Moussa's mins and we have 2 freshman post players adding to our depth. Algie key replaces Lacey and the rest of the roster is the same. And with Pollard getting better it helps Coop go back to the perimeter which is where he should be. That gives us 3 guards, 2 wings, and about 4 post players. Thats the deepest team we've had at Alabama in years. College bball doesn't play alot of players anyway. Unless we have forgotten the 7 man rotations of our former leader.

jangalang

All-SEC
Feb 16, 2003
Miami, FL

Boston Herald - Recruiting Tidbits

"FIU is currently being investigated for academic issues going back to when Isiah Thomas was the head coach there. There is a possibility they could be sanctioned in much the same way UConn was last year which resulted in Alex Oriahki (yet another BABC product) leaving the Huskies for Missouri where he was immediately eligible.

So, it seems there is a possibility that Malik Smith would be immediately eligible.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007

Boston Herald - Recruiting Tidbits

"FIU is currently being investigated for academic issues going back to when Isiah Thomas was the head coach there. There is a possibility they could be sanctioned in much the same way UConn was last year which resulted in Alex Oriahki (yet another BABC product) leaving the Huskies for Missouri where he was immediately eligible.

So, it seems there is a possibility that Malik Smith would be immediately eligible.
I'd read speculation that this could be the case, but I haven't seen anything to spell out the sanctions and how they would affect transfers.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

so is there any info out there on what style of player Michael Kessens is?
I found this on youtube after my last post. You only see about three highlights of him but I was very very surprised at how athletic and agile this young man is. Looks to be a lefty. From a build stand point he looks like Horry. Moves real real well. Very quick.
I like what I briefly saw here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fsiZ2qHRY

spacerats

Scout Team
Nov 11, 2006

so bball is a totally different animal in regards to talent. just b/c you come from a smaller school doesn't mean you aren't good enough to play at a higher level. From what i see, he isn't a dominating force. But he is someone who has adequate height and quickness for a big man. The biggest assets I saw from the video is that we really don't have to run plays for him but he is very good at catching the ball and finishing. A trait that will instantly upgrade our frontcourt. I think he will be a huge asset to the team by giving us a competent big man who isn't a liability. Now if he can add weight and secure the center position, it will make the team even more dangerous when we are getting contributions from all 5 positions on the floor.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL

This guy is a MAJOR upgrade from Moussa!!! Atleast this guy can set a screen without getting called for a foul, he can catch and dribble, he can rebound and box out, and he can schore around the basket. The question i dont' think anybody has answered, i might have missed it, but can he play this year or does he have to sit out?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I understand that he has to sit out a year.
That is my understanding as well, Kessens will have to sit a year and be eligible for the 2014-15 season with 3 years of eligibility remaining.

There is some discussion about Malik Smith being eligible to play right away if he transfers due to possible NCAA sanctions against FIU. There hasn't been much new information about him recently so I'm not sure what his status is at the moment.

jangalang

All-SEC
Feb 16, 2003
Miami, FL

There is some discussion about Malik Smith being eligible to play right away if he transfers due to possible NCAA sanctions against FIU. There hasn't been much new information about him recently so I'm not sure what his status is at the moment.
On Twitter, Cecil Hurt said that he would be immediately eligible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He says Minnesota offered him a scholarship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.