Charlie Weis backs up Stoops claims about SEC

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: Charlie Wiess backs up Stoops claims about SEC

Who is Charlie Weis?
He is the biggest, broadest coach in college football, I think. Toledo used to have a coach who looked like he was spherical in shape. Kansas likes BIG coaches. However, they should have kept the last BIG coach that they had. He was winning even at KU.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Dang, you'd think a guy riding an 11 game losing streak would want to keep a low profile and would keep his mouth shut? :confused:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Since 2007, here's the outcomes of every game played between the SEC and the Big-12....

Basically, the SEC has an overall record of 16-6 vs the Big-12 since 2007. It jumps to 17-7 if you want to count new member Texas A&M going out and clobbering #15 Oklahoma 41-13 in the Cotton Bowl in 2012.
Why wouldn't we count the A&M bowl game?

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Stoops and Weis aren’t complaining about the issue that really galls them the most. The trouble that these guys have with the SEC is that we keep winning national championships at the expense of their pet conferences. Even if it were possible for them to prove that teams in the bottom half of the SEC are, on average, no better than, say,Baylor or Iowa, they would still find some reason to malign the SEC for the reason that the top quarter of SEC teams are consistently, markedly, and undeniably superior to the best teams from other conferences.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

These two must have fell off the turnip truck ! Crazy !!
Yes Sir..I agree 100% with Rev..I understand trying to say something to build up the media & public view of your conference..But..Don't say something that will make you look like a complete bumbling fool..Sometimes it's best not to say anything at all..If you're the better conference..Let your teams do the talking & prove it on the field..JMHO

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Stoops and Weis don't have much support.

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=ncf&pollId=3683521

Oklahoma is the only state that thinks that the Big12 is stronger from top to bottom and that viewpoint only holds a 53% to 47% advantage. It appears that loyalty in the Stoopdom only barely compromises clear thought.
And folks calls Alabama backwards.. Oklahoman's are what I call "backass" backwards when it comes too football homerism..Heck..Even the Texan's got this poll right..

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

And folks calls Alabama backwards.. Oklahoman's are what I call "backass" backwards when it comes too football homerism..Heck..Even the Texan's got this poll right..
Homerism definitely reigns there. I'm not going to bash them too badly however, as I lived there (Lawton, Ft. Sill -- yes I was an Army brat) when I was young.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

If there were a BCS championship for bottom feeders the SEC would win that also. Auburn would have beaten Kansas.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

I've often thought a life sized balloon of Charlie outside a county fair or rodeo could really attract some folks.

Sort of like a GoodWeiss blimp with lots of lights on each side advertising the event.

It would have to be properly anchored of course. Safety first you know.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Saturday Down Sourh tore into Stoops and noted he played only one SEC team last year and his team gave up almost 700 yards while Ole Miss - one of the bottom six - gave up less than 500 and shoulda beat aTm.

Here's the quote:

Big Game Bob hopes you keep your focus at the bottom on the pack in the SEC regular season. Don’t pay attention to bowl results. Ignore that the only time Oklahoma played an SEC team last season, Texas A&M, when they got smoked to the tune of 41-13. A&M tossed up 633 total yards on Bob Stoops’ defense. Ole Miss, one of those bottom six SEC teams, only gave up 481 total yards to A&M.

Then they sealed the deal:

Alabama 42 Note Dame 14
Oklahoma 13 Notre Dame 30

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

Here's proof positive that Stoops and Weis don't have a clue about what they're saying, as if we needed any more proof.

The Big12 has 10 teams (I know... I know... that's already proof that these institutions are lousy at math) and each team plays 9 conference games each season. Since each conference game involves two conference teams, the total number of conference games in the Big12 each season is (10x9)/2 or 45.

The SEC has 14 teams and each plays 8 conference games each season, so the total number of conference games in the SEC is (14x8)/2 or 61.

Each conference game will produce a W for one of the teams involved and an L for the other. So in the Big12 conference schedule, there are 45 W's and 45 L's to be distributed based on the results of games. In the SEC, there are 61 of each result.

The Big12 had two dominant teams (Oklahoma and Kansas St.) and those teams each had a 7-1 conference record, so that removed 14 W's and 2 L's from the conference schedule result set. That left 29 W's and 43 L's for the remaining 8 Big12 teams. Hapless Kansas took care of 11 of the L's and took no W's, so there were then 29 W's and 32 L's left for the other 7 Big12 teams.

Looking at the remaining W's and L's, if one assumed that the remaining teams would share them in an equitable fashion, there would be an average of 4.14 W's and 4.57 L's for each in conference play. These numbers, when added to the 2 or 3 automatic cupcake victories that most BCS AQ teams schedule each season, would put all of those teams over the minimum of 6 victories needed to be bowl eligible. In the end, these 7 teams were fairly evenly matched and they divided those W's and L's fairly equitably and the top 9 of 10 Big12 teams ended up being bowl eligible.

In the SEC there is a different picture. There were 6 dominant teams having either 7-1 or 6-2 conference records. These 6 teams took 39 W's off the conference schedule, but only 9 L's, leaving only 22 W's but 52 L's for the remaining 8 conference teams. The SEC had it's two Kansas impersonators (the barn and Kentucky), who selflessly left the W's for others, but took 16 L's for themselves. This left 22 W's and 36 L's on the board for the remaining 6 conference teams.

If these remaining teams had been able to equitably split their conference matchups like the Big12 teams did, then they would each have 3.67 W's and 6.00 L's. However, even amongst this middle-of-the-pack group, there were teams not willing to share. Vandy and Mississippi State took 9 W's off the board between them and this meant that the equitable split between the other 4 gave no chance of reaching bowl eligibility (at 2.83 W's each) even with their 2 to 3 wins from their cupcakes.

So the Big12 had more teams bowl eligible because of their equality with EACH OTHER. The SEC had less teams bowl eligible because the middle of the pack teams just didn't have enough W's left on the board after the big boys raided the conference schedule. The Big12's middle of the pack could all have just been equally terrible while the SEC's middle of the pack could have just been equally good, but just not on the same level as the dominant teams of the conference.

The 7 middle of the pack teams that the Big12 sent to bowls had a 4-3 (0.571) record in those bowls. The 3 middle of the pack teams that the SEC sent had a 2-1 (0.667) record. Overall, the Big12 had a 4-5 (0.444) record in bowls while the SEC had a 6-3 (0.667) record in the bowls and the BCSCG. So while the Big12 sent more teams to bowls, they performed poorer than the SEC teams. This seems to imply that of the teams that narrowly reached bowl eligibility, the SEC teams were of higher quality than the Big12 teams. The fact is that only three (30%) Big12 teams (OU, KSU, Texas) were comfortably assured of a bowl invite while 8 (57%) SEC teams (UA, UGA, UF, VU, LSU, TAMU, and MSU) were assured of an invite.

The Big12 should eliminate the pretenders in-conference instead of sending them to the slaughter at the hands of Syracuse and Tulsa.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The entire Weiss argument boils down to the claim that "the bottom of our league is better than the bottom of their league." So....this means that if your bench or sixth man is better than the Miami Heat then your ENTIRE TEAM is better than Miami, right?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

The entire Weiss argument boils down to the claim that "the bottom of our league is better than the bottom of their league." So....this means that if your bench or sixth man is better than the Miami Heat then your ENTIRE TEAM is better than Miami, right?
I think that his argument would be that if your bench is better than the Miami Heat's bench, then your entire team is better than the Miami Heat's entire team. So, he's arguing that the overall quality of a set of items should not factor the quality of the best items in the set, but only the worst items in the set.

Next season, when the preseason prognosticators start ranking teams, they should put Oklahoma far down in the rankings and then when Stoops complains, just say, "Well, you have a good first 22, but what have those other guys on the roster done? You tell me?" :aiwebs_017:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.