CrimsonForever1 has passed...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am also saddened, but then again I feel a great relief for CrimsonForever1. It takes great courage to stop cancer treatments and go out on his own terms. His pain is no more.
Prayers going out to his family. May he forever rest in peace.
I had asked to be notified. We had had a long dialog going on about end of life issues. When he didn't reply for a couple of days to my last PM, I realized that he had progressed further than I thought. One thing is sure - he knows the truth about the transition now, something none of the rest of us do...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
God bless. I'm glad he put up that last thread and told us why he made his decision. It was really thoughtful of him. Really makes you think about what is important in life.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here is a video Hugh made last spring, about a month before diagnosis. It's entitled "AMEN." It makes one wonder if he had some premonition. It's about 7:40 long...

LINK

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
First of all I would like to personally thank Mr. Self for posting that video of Hugh, and to everyone of you that responded in kindness. We were cleaning out his computer and found this video. My son actually had to direct me to put it on youtube so it can be shared. The biker world is just like society as there is always a bad element that makes us or society as a whole look bad and gives us sort of a black eye. Hugh was the exception to that perception and in many ways he changed that perception of the biker world. He held the same job for 37 years before he retired. That should tell you much about him. Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

RIP Guru

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
RIP Hugh, "Guru"....although I didn't know you personally, we both share two passions...the Crimson Tide, and the love of riding...so I know we would have got along just fine!

Peace be with you brother as you ride through those Crimson Gates of Glory!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Take a break Mr. Hugh, your poise under these circumstances and the perspective I gained from grace in your final days I will take with me forever. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
:(

Hugh and I had couple conversations via PM about our dogs.

He had a couple Bassett Hound rescues and ensuring their well being was a big concern of his.

I wish everyone had a heart like Hugh.

Condolences from Baz and the girls to family & friends including all his Tide Fans brethren.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
Looks like he did Earle.

Thanks for the link - for a fairly simple video it was quite powerful.

R.I.P. Hugh.
I need to tell you a story about Guru before his computer is trashed. I know you are getting tired of my eulogies, but I have to respond to Bazza`s post which we sincerely appreciate. The video may be more powerful than you think. His brothers and I were just in awe of the video and how it was presented and when it was made. He made this video 3 days after the tornado had destroyed his home with him in the garage on April 27th 2011 in Pleasant Grove. Guru and his Bassets had to be dug out. A work table and the motorcycle he is showing in the video saved his life. It kept the block walls and rafters and roof from touching him and his pups. It took 45 minutes to dig him out by a couple of guys he had never met, and before he was able to thank those guys, they disappeared. After repairing parts of his bike, this is when he made the video 3 days later. AS GrayTide said, "Hugh taught us all something". Also during his working years in hard labor with a product that most firemen would not like to get involved with because of the dangerous product, He was burned twice and the first explosion should have killed him, but survived. Of course there was a 100 more close calls throughout his career. What do you say to that except he was blessed and was guarded by Angels his adult life, not to mention he survived being drafted and serving in the jungle war in 1971. Too many miracles not to have a calling of some sort. Guru knew his time was nearing and prepared for it, just a sense I got through his attitude.
I do want to tell you his blood family is doing fine and are being well taken care of with comfort. His Mom and Dad just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary. That is unheard of these days, and Guru was an image of his parents. Did not really want to take up space on this site, but I just needed to tell a little more of his story before the computer is trashed. Hugh was an inspiration to anyone who knew him, and it is evident he was an inspiration to you guys of whom he never met. That`s just Guru!!! I wont take up any more of your time. Thanks!!!

RIP Guru

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I need to tell you a story about Guru before his computer is trashed. I know you are getting tired of my eulogies, but I have to respond to Bazza`s post which we sincerely appreciate. The video may be more powerful than you think. His brothers and I were just in awe of the video and how it was presented and when it was made. He made this video 3 days after the tornado had destroyed his home with him in the garage on April 27th 2011 in Pleasant Grove. Guru and his Bassets had to be dug out. A work table and the motorcycle he is showing in the video saved his life. It kept the block walls and rafters and roof from touching him and his pups. It took 45 minutes to dig him out by a couple of guys he had never met, and before he was able to thank those guys, they disappeared. After repairing parts of his bike, this is when he made the video 3 days later. AS GrayTide said, "Hugh taught us all something". Also during his working years in hard labor with a product that most firemen would not like to get involved with because of the dangerous product, He was burned twice and the first explosion should have killed him, but survived. Of course there was a 100 more close calls throughout his career. What do you say to that except he was blessed and was guarded by Angels his adult life, not to mention he survived being drafted and serving in the jungle war in 1971. Too many miracles not to have a calling of some sort. Guru knew his time was nearing and prepared for it, just a sense I got through his attitude.
I do want to tell you his blood family is doing fine and are being well taken care of with comfort. His Mom and Dad just celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary. That is unheard of these days, and Guru was an image of his parents. Did not really want to take up space on this site, but I just needed to tell a little more of his story before the computer is trashed. Hugh was an inspiration to anyone who knew him, and it is evident he was an inspiration to you guys of whom he never met. That`s just Guru!!! I wont take up any more of your time. Thanks!!!

RIP Guru
You are not wasting our time with post like this just the opposite. We need a lot more post about the good and beautiful people that uplifts us in spite of all the bad things in our lives! Share as much as you can or feel like! :)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

RIP Guru
I don't know if you will see this (or what your relationship with Hugh/CrimsonForever1/Guru was), but he sounds like some I wish I had known. I'm not a biker, but he certainly seemed to capture the beauty of God's creation when he rode. What you said about him in the above quote told me a lot more about him than I ever imagined. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

RIP Guru
Much thanks for shedding more light on the man and the video. I wish I could have met him in person and at least shaken his hand and thanked him for his service to the country. Please accept my gratitude in his behalf.

Your explanation of Hugh's survival and rescue inspires me. FWIW it will indeed make me a better person.

Not surprising he loved dogs - so indicative of a person with a genuine heart of gold.

I hope you will pass along our sincerest condolences to Hugh's family - they have much to be proud of.

Respectfully,
Baz and the girls

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.