50th Anniversary of Americans Climbing Everest

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Article Here.

There are four stages of frostbite. The initial stage is treatable, and no skin or soft tissue is lost. The second stage takes longer to recover from but rarely is there ever any long term damage. Loss of sensitivity to heat and cold can occur. The third and fourth stages are typically permanent. Skin, muscles, bones, vessels and tendons are all frozen solid. The only treatment for permanent frostbite involves cutting out the affected soft tissue – which has turned completely black – or through amputation.

Why are we talking about Frostbite in mid-May? Because this month marks the 50th anniversary of the first American team to successfully climb Mount Everest.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
When I was a kid, mountain climbers were my heroes. I admired Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay more than I did baseball or football players. Weird kid, I know.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
When I was a kid, mountain climbers were my heroes. I admired Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay more than I did baseball or football players. Weird kid, I know.
They were among mine. I recall reading & re-reading a book about the 1st winter climb of Mt. McKinley in Alaska & being totally awed.

But then I got older & discovered that I'm a bit of a wimp. And thus ended my mountain climbing dreams. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.