very bad tornado in OKC

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Re: LIVE UPDATES: Tornadoes tear through counties across Okla.

The devastation is horrendous. My heart is broken for Oklahoma tonight. May God help them through this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No one has more sympathy for tornado victims than the the Huntsville area residents. Right now, Huntsville has the designation of the most dangerous city for tornados. We seem to swap it back and forth with OKC. It's not a title I want or that I want for them...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

My bro is at Tinker AFB. No damage to his place but he says the video is unreal. It definitely reminds me of the Tuscaloosa tornado.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Easy way to help, text to donate $10:
STORM to 80888 for Salvation Army
FOOD to 32333 for Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama

No one has more sympathy for tornado victims than the the Huntsville area residents. Right now, Huntsville has the designation of the most dangerous city for tornados. We seem to swap it back and forth with OKC. It's not a title I want or that I want for them...
I concur.
April 1974 was my first experience with devastating tornado event and I get very nervous with bad weather I think because of that experience. Do not wish it on anyone.
Link below has very good discussions regarding differences of tornado's in our areas compared to OKC. Minute 41 of video has interesting discussions concerning a meteorologist early warnings and whether to stay in home or leave and how very subjective those decisions can be based on culture/location one lives in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtm1LJ0Jss&feature=youtu.be

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013...ead-after-twister-strikes-near-oklahoma-city/

A massive tornado at least a half mile-wide with 200 mph winds churned through Oklahoma City's suburbs Monday afternoon, killing at least 51 people including at least 20 children, flattening entire neighborhoods and destroying an elementary school with a direct blow as children and teachers huddled inside.
Amy Elliott, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office, said early Tuesday 51 people were confirmed dead, at least twenty of them children.She said officials could see as many as 40 more fatalities from the tornado.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
'Tornado clearly targets conservatives': Daily Show creator

She thought she was making a topical political joke, but a co-creator of ‘The Daily Show’ managed to enrage many of her followers after tweeting joke about the Oklahoma tornado’s political motivations.

‘This tornado is in Oklahoma so clearly it has been ordered to only target conservatives,’ wrote comedian Lizz Winstead, in a tweet, around 3:30 Monday afternoon.

The tweet was an apparent attempt at using the occasion of the May 20 twister to comment on the scandal currently plaguing the IRS and Obama administration.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...backlash-insensitive-tweet.html#ixzz2TvkqtaNR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Re: 'Tornado clearly targets conservatives': Daily Show creator

So now they drop the death toll to 24? Which is a great thing, but I don't ever remember it dropping before.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So now they drop the death toll to 24? Which is a great thing, but I don't ever remember it dropping before.
As BB said, some victims were counted twice. Seems to happen when communication is all over the place because of the cell phone issues along with damage all over the place.

For a good story, watch this video.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I was taking my grandson to school this morning at about 7:30 a.m. Houston's KTRK Radio was reporting the death toll was up to 91. I get home and see that it's down to 24.

What the problem in reporting accurate stats?

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

I was taking my grandson to school this morning at about 7:30 a.m. Houston's KTRK Radio was reporting the death toll was up to 91. I get home and see that it's down to 24.

News organizations (local & national) falling over themselves to run with whatever # some local official gave them so they can "report" it first. It's more important to be the first to "report" something than to be the one who actually gets it right.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

For a good story, watch this video.
Love the video and hate it all at the same time. I just dislike the media, the camera man could have had the decency to put the camera down and help the lady out. I now the reporter came in and help, a little, after the lady asked a few times but, I bet it was a man running the camera and he could have helped move debris. I just hate how the media swarms to these disasters and just stands around telling there version of the story, why not do something useful and help clean up.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Since when do you expect accurate reporting from the media?
Moreover, since when does anyone in the media wait until they have all the facts to a story before reporting on it?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Love the video and hate it all at the same time. I just dislike the media, the camera man could have had the decency to put the camera down and help the lady out. I now the reporter came in and help, a little, after the lady asked a few times but, I bet it was a man running the camera and he could have helped move debris. I just hate how the media swarms to these disasters and just stands around telling there version of the story, why not do something useful and help clean up.
Why? It's beneath their station in life. You didn't know that? :rolleyes:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Wow. Could some of you quit bashing the media and realize the Oklahoma medical examiner was the one who came out this morning with the new number? The state officials admit some victims were counted twice. Again, that happens when pretty much all lines of communication are down.

I know some of you want to put blame of everything on two parties: the media or Obama, but let's look at what was said by the Oklahoma state officials.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.