Can McCarron win the Heisman?

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
I know that GMac's name got tossed around in 2009 up until he went into that mini-slump toward the end of that season and his numbers weren't exaxtly mind blowing early. I think AJ can stay in the mix if we go undefeated and he can put up some decent yards since it looks like he has some horsepower to throw to. He might be fighting off his own teammate in Yeldon though.

92Bama

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 27, 2002
Atlanta, GA
That corner route that AJ throws so well is very difficult to defend and our 3rd WR is going to be better than whoever the other team has covering him all year long (not even dicussing the #1 matchup and and #2 matchup). We should be able to pass at will on almost everyone on our schedule.

Hankster2

All-SEC
Jan 18, 2006
in a house
He's definitely well placed given his position and the era he's playing in. If you look at the history of the Heisman winners, there are some pretty extreme trends in terms of how positions and performances are valued (granted - this has a lot to do with offensive trends). During the 70's and 80's there were 13 running backs who won the award versus only 5 QB's. During the 90's, there were an equal number of QB's and RB's. I didn't realize it till I looked, but Mark Ingram is the only non-quarterback to win the award so far this century (11-1 yikes!!!). That's a pretty significant shift and "all things being equal" that puts better than good odds on this year's winner being a QB. AJ gets to start the season near the top of the list that currently garners the most Heisman attention.

While I agree that if we develop a significant pass offense Amari could get some consideration, a WR hasn't won the award in over 20 years so AJ has a considerably easier path in this era.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If Alabama goes undefeated, I think he probably does win the award. This isn't like Trent's situation, in which he built up almost all the momentum in one season and then fell just short. AJ had a tremendous season last year, and deserved more consideration than he got, but he was still on a lot of people's lists for a good portion of the season. Being undefeated also means taking out A&M.

I think the three national championships aspect will weigh heavily on people's minds, and if he puts up numbers anything like last year, while Alabama is still in contention, it will be very hard to overlook him. AJ's chances went down the drain last year during the A&M game. Trent really lost his shot when Alabama lost to LSU. As long as Alabama is undefeated, AJ is likely to be one of, if not the favorite. It's also hard to imagine Alabama being undefeated without AJ, so this is probably as tied together as an Alabama teams hopes for a NC, and a player's hopes for a Heisman have ever been.
Exactly..I agree 100% with ya..Any way you wanna shake it..Leading your team to 3 NC's & a possible 3 peat is a historic feat..Even though we're known as a power rushing team..Our offense is a balanced one..And AJ is the one that brings that balance to our offense..And he has been as efficient & as effective throwing the ball..As any QB in the Nation..Personally..I think he's the best QB in the Nation..He can make any throw, he could carry our offense if need be, and will leave Alabama being the best we've ever had..There may be better passers than AJ & there may be better running QB's than AJ..But..There's no better "Field General" than AJ in college football & There's no QB in college football I would trade for AJ(that include "Johnny Football")..If he leads us to a 3peat..A "Heisman Trophy" is almost a guarantee for AJ..That's JMHO..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He would have won it last year if not for the loss to aTm. That game cost him the award. A similar season without a hiccup loss along the way and he is assured the award. He would be the first QB in the history of the game to lead his team to three championships in a row. Maybe you guys don't appreciate how ridiculously amazing that is because you are immersed in it, but think about it for a minute.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He can only qualify himself. Winning it is out of his control.
I can't say I agree. AJ can't control being healthy, but he does have a heck of a supporting cast. Let's take even the A&M game, he didn't let them score, but unfortunately he did participate in two turnovers (one you can argue isn't his fault, but he still played a role). I think we all know, that even in that game, no INTs, and Alabama wins.

Is that asking too much? Is it asking too much to say AJ has to lead Alabama to win some games? He can't make mistakes some games? He might even have to pull out a miracle or two? Yeah, it might be... but this is the Heisman trophy we are talking about. The moments define Heisman winners, and he'll likely have a few chances this year, to either lead Alabama to a win, or to fall a tiny bit short, even if no fault of his own.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I don't think he will have the numbers to win the Heisman -
Does he have the skill? Maybe.
But with our running game, and the fact we will be leading in most games late - he wont' be throwing much and won't put up the big numbers the Heisman voters like.

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
I don’t like the Heisman trophy. I don’t like the media hype that surrounds it. I think it elevates the individual above the team, highlights only “skill” players, focusses attention inordinately on statistics, and promotes a culture of “me first” narcissism that can only distract from the more important goal of winning championships. I do not think that A.J.will win the Heisman, nor do I think he would be better off for winning it. The rap against A.J. will be that he is the product of a system, surrounded by too many other good players. So be it. He is the first Alabama player since Richard Todd to have a real prospect of starting for an NFL team, and he will be better off without the Heisman label.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Ask ESPN they are in total control of this & start a campaign to award it to whoever they want. They have way to much power & no one to challenge them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don’t like the Heisman trophy. I don’t like the media hype that surrounds it. I think it elevates the individual above the team, highlights only “skill” players, focusses attention inordinately on statistics, and promotes a culture of “me first” narcissism that can only distract from the more important goal of winning championships.

Yeah Alabama suffered from that in 2009. I would hate to see it happen again.

I do not think that A.J.will win the Heisman, nor do I think he would be better off for winning it. The rap against A.J. will be that he is the product of a system, surrounded by too many other good players. So be it. He is the first Alabama player since Richard Todd to have a real prospect of starting for an NFL team, and he will be better off without the Heisman label.
Not one analysis has made those sentiments when discussing AJ. Why would they start in year 3?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yes, I think he can, but he will have to put up some gawdy numbers like last yr again AND somehow overcome a ton of anti-Alabama sentiment that is out there.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If we run the table, there would be good money on AJ or TJ winning it.
I am always in favor of Alabama players winning individual awards. I am also in favor of winning national championships. We have good chances for both of these this year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If we run the table, there would be good money on AJ or TJ winning it.
I am always in favor of Alabama players winning individual awards. I am also in favor of winning national championships. We have good chances for both of these this year.
I agree with your comment. I think Coach Saban said himself that winning big leads to big individual awards. With all the individual awards our players have won over the past 4-5 years helps tremendously with recruiting. I know most of us prefer winning championships over individual awards and so does our staff and players, but it is a great asset when we can also tell a recruit he can win big national awards along with getting a ring. We are at a point in our program where both are highly possible and we should embrace it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.