Roll Tide...Who says this to you when you are out in public?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I'm in Tampa & you won't believe the number of people who come up to me while we are out & say Roll Tide!
This team really has TE respect nationally. Of course we are always wearing something with Bama on it &my wife's Mercedes has the Back to Back & script A om the back, she took off the Mercades plate holder for the NC Bama one.

What say you? Especially outside of Alabama?

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Re: Roll Tdie...Who says this to you when you are out in public?

I pretty wear a Alabama shirt every day and got lot's of folks in Los Angeles saying Roll Tide or Go Bama. Even met a father / son at the grocery story a few years ago who came up and said they were from Alabama originally (forget the town). We chatted for a few minutes as I'm from T-town myself.

At the farmers market back in the day LSU family came up to me to say they would be beating us which they did but I think they would avoid me now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

In the Bham area if you are wearing Bama gear on gameday and go to the store or get out in public it is fairly constant.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I was driving home last week and spotted an SUV with a large Bama logo on the back of the window. I sped up and was on the left lane. once I got his attention, I yelled out " Roll Tide" out loud . He immediately roll down his window and replied with a louder "Roll Tide". It's not everyday you spot another Tide fan in Cali, let alone in San Jose. :cool:

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado

I've gotten "Roll Tide" comments when wearing my Bama gear in Australia, Germany, Austria, Canada, Scotland, Israel, Belgium, and Russia.

When traveling throughout US and Canada it's unusual when I don't get a "Roll Tide"

What does strike me odd though is how often some booger-eater will make a point to come across the room just to get in my face to say "war eagle". Strange but when I see someone wearing opposing colors I don't feel compelled to stick my nose in their face to say "Roll Tide".... little brother syndrome strikes again. Usually I just smile and say "I wouldn't be saying that too loud these days - most people won't know whether you're drunk or just stupid".

Last edited:

Bamatim15

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Kingsport TN

Living in TN most don't say anything but turn their heads but there's a few that tell me how CNS is cheating which makes me smile and tell them they'd give their right _ _ t if he was coaching the viles.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC

It's amazing how many Tide fans there are here. I have it all over my car, and always get a wave or honk.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

We were at 'Ole Faithful' in Alabama gear... two oriental girls hollered 'Roll Tide', then three other people around the geyser hollered 'Roll Tide'. Kind of like an echo... Fantastic. Finally a gentleman near us hollered... 'How bout them dogs'... No one else joined in.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL

I used to get a Roll Tide occasionally when living in Wisconsin, but oddly (at least I thought) even more often when I lived in Princeton New Jersey, especially when wearing my ball cap or t shirt in the grocery store. A good friend of mine in Wisconsin was a Tide fan even though he had only driven thru the state once, he just loved watching Bama play. Another friend and former supervisor of mine grew up in southern Indiana. As a kid he named his dog Bear, he is still a fan even though he lives in Boise. Neither of these guys has any real connection. Just shows you that winners attract fans from anywhere.

Last edited:

KnockturnalTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 8, 2012
A, A

It is a rare day that I'm not adorned in Bama gear (shorts/shirt/hat/sometimes all three) living in the middle of Razorback country. The most common thing I hear is something along the lines of 'they let you wear that stuff here'. It is uncommon to get a Roll Tide where I am at but it still happens on occasion.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

I both give and receive RT comments almost everyday here in northwest Florida.
What does strike me odd though is how often some booger-eater will make a point to come across the room just to get in my face to say "war eagle". Strange but when I see someone wearing opposing colors I don't feel compelled to stick my nose in their face to say "Roll Tide".... little brother syndrome strikes again.
Yep. I get the occasional confrontationally-offered WE as well. I guess that makes them feel better. But we all know that part of their syndrome involves defining themselves through an essential and obsessed opposition to us. So a squandered opportunity to storm across a room and give an unsolicited and defiant WE to a Bama fan is a squandered opportunity for self-affirmation. That obsession with opposing Bama is so integral to what it means to be an Auburn fan that if we suddenly decided to quit playing football, I don't think it would be more than a season or two before they followed suit for lack of interest. Can't hate Bama anymore? No reason to continue playing.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Living in ATL I get Roll Tide a lot but there's plenty of barners and of course dog fans who give me the scowl.

The most surprising encounter I ever had was just before the 94 season in Hartford CT. I was in a meeting when this 30 something lady stuck her head in the room and yelled Roll Tide!. After the meeting she excitedly came up to me in the hallway and wanted to talk about how we were going to do that year. I asked how she became such a fan and she said her high school sweetheart loved Alabama Football so much he decided to attend the University. She had flown down a few times to visit him and attended some games and fell in love with the whole Alabama Football experience herself. At one point she looked wistful and said, "I KNEW I should have married him.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

When I'm out and about around Cobb county Georgia, I always get a few Roll Tide! comments from men and women. I haven't noticed any fans of other teams reacting one way or the other.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I average about five a day at the gym. Any Bama fan I pass with my tee-shirt on ultimately says "Roll Tide".

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I see very few booger eaters so the API assault I don't have. Last night at Outback we were eating & a guy came up to us & said we should be very proud of our football program. He was a GA fan & said we had something special. The he said well you just have to love the SEC. I replied, with all respect I'm no SEC fan, I like Ga & Fl and a Few others but if 10rc & API closed tomorrow I would shed no tears.

He said you know you are right, I don't like them either. He went on to say now you boys take care of A& M this year, they got to big headed & need to be put in their place.

I thanked him do much for coming by.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I had to work in the ugliest village on the plains for three weeks and wore a Bama shirt every second I was in public. For that matter, even in private unless I was taking a shower.

Anyway, I did get a couple Roll Tides thrown my way, though nothing from the other side. I do wonder if poor service I got in a couple eateries was a result of my choice of shirts.

When I was living in Knoxville, I'd hear Roll Tide occasionally and once got a comment I can't say here from a passing motorist due to the Bama tag on the front of my car.

I don't hear it too often in my daily life now, living in Alabama. Back when Jelks was playing, I bought a #22 jersey at a game. This, of course, was also Johnny Musso's number. One night I was out wearing it on the Southside (the bar district in Birmingham) and passed a couple walking the other way. The guy yelled out "Johnny Musso". I smiled and walked on. I heard his girlfriend say "Did you know that guy?". I guess she thought I was his friend whose name was Johnny Musso.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.