News Article: Seattle: I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Rep...ver-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. -- The Washington State Patrol says the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River at Mount Vernon has collapsed, dumping vehicles and people into the water.

Trooper Mark Francis said the four-lane bridge collapsed about 7 p.m.

Francis says he has no idea how many people are in the water or whether there are any injuries or deaths. He did not know what caused the collapse.

The incident has closed northbound and southbound traffic in the area; traffic is reportedly backed up significantly on I-5

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Wow, hope everyone is OK...
As far as I can tell so far, no fatalities reported, though rescue efforts are ongoing and I don't believe everyone who went in the river's been accounted for. Sidebar: fully expecting this to be blamed on sequestration by an opportunistic politician and/or pundit at some point in the future (infrastructure neglect).

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
As far as I can tell so far, no fatalities reported, though rescue efforts are ongoing and I don't believe everyone who went in the river's been accounted for. Sidebar: fully expecting this to be blamed on sequestration by an opportunistic politician and/or pundit at some point in the future (infrastructure neglect).
Of course they will. Any party that can politicize the deaths of children from a tornado within minutes of the event to promote global warming legislation will clearly have no problem forwarding strawmen here.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry, but infrastructure neglect is an indisputable, demonstable fact, not a partisan issue. If government is good for noting else, it's got to be good for that, or we've reverted to pre-Roman ages. (They did a damn good jobs with highways and bridges.)

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Sorry, but infrastructure neglect is an indisputable, demonstable fact, not a partisan issue. If government is good for noting else, it's got to be good for that, or we've reverted to pre-Roman ages. (They did a damn good jobs with highways and bridges.)
I seem to remember almost a trillion dollars supposedly being set aside just for infrastructure projects, instead it was spent mostly on a bunch of Democrat pet projects. I then remember someone making a joke about shovel ready jobs not being so shovel ready.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think if you required able bodied people to work on roads, buildings, parks, etc repair and maintenance as a condition of unemployment, 3 days/week, we would see unemployment rates improve quickly, and see our infrastructure improve.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Agreed 100% with everything above. But you would have a hard time convincing me that this particular bridge, which was deemed "structurally deficient" by 1992, and "functionally obsolete" by 2000, collapsed because of the recent sequestration. You would have to demonstrate the funds which had been budgeted for upgrade and repair of this specific bridge which no longer were budgeted for that purpose due to sequestration. You would also have to demonstrate that said upgrade and repairs could have been completed in the period between the sequester and the collapse.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Agreed 100% with everything above. But you would have a hard time convincing me that this particular bridge, which was deemed "structurally deficient" by 1992, and "functionally obsolete" by 2000, collapsed because of the recent sequestration. You would have to demonstrate the funds which had been budgeted for upgrade and repair of this specific bridge which no longer were budgeted for that purpose due to sequestration. You would also have to demonstrate that said upgrade and repairs could have been completed in the period between the sequester and the collapse.
Logic should prevail? Lol....

Are you going fishing with The Beaver after you take Marcia to the prom?

Jk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You don't seriously expect the targets of this type of demagoguery to be able string together that number of rational thoughts, and understand their causal relationships, do you?
I fully expect Democrats to just say, "It's Bush's fault." This statement has fewer words and is easier for their constituents to understand.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not sure why the State of Washington did not repair their bridge.
James Madison said:
The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You're half right as this IS because of infrastructure neglect but nothing to do with the sequester.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I guess the real question is what was the state of Washington spending all their highway dollars allocated to them by the DOT? I'm not sure this is so much a federal issue as it is a state issue and how they allocated the federal monies given to them to maintain their roads.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess the real question is what was the state of Washington spending all their highway dollars allocated to them by the DOT? I'm not sure this is so much a federal issue as it is a state issue and how they allocated the federal monies given to them to maintain their roads.
WRT infrastructure dollars, lots of times maintenance and repair, especially when not "critical", takes a back seat to shiny new projects.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The bridge was built in 1955 and has a sufficiency rating of 57.4 out of 100, according to federal records. That is well below the statewide average rating of 80, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal data, but 759 bridges in the state have a lower sufficiency score.
Since many others are rated worse, I guess they had other projects to address first.:eek:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.