What music are you diggin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The original inspiration was a romantic encounter that Stewart had with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.On The Howard Stern Show, Dave Stewart explained that the title's phrase was actually uttered by Nicks. She had broken up with Joe Walsh the night before,[SUP][/SUP] and invited Stewart to her place for a party after an early Eurythmics show in Los Angeles. Stewart did not know who she was at the time, but went anyway. When the party goers all disappeared to a bathroom for a couple of hours to snort cocaine, he decided to go upstairs to bed. He woke up at 5am to find Nicks in his room trying on Victorian clothing and described the entire scenario as very much reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. Later that morning, she told Walsh, "Don't come around here no more".

The music video is themed around Alice in Wonderland and directed by Jeff Stein. Dave Stewart appears as the catepillar at the beginning, sitting on a mushroom with a hookah water pipe while playing a sitar. Tom Petty performed in the video dressed as The Mad Hatter, and actress Wish Foley played Alice. At the end of the video, Alice, who has been turned into a cake, is eaten by Petty and even friends of her own after she wakes up from her awful dream. Despite causing criticism from feminist groups, the video won the first MTV Video Music Award for Best Music Video.

Wish Foley dated drummer Stan Lynch for many years after the video was shot. The teacup was made out of an above ground pool, and the doughnut was a giant inner tube. The water was so cold inside the teacup that Wish had hypothermia at the end of the shoot. After 24 hours of shooting the teacup scene was shot.

MTV told Tom Petty that he looked too menacing at the end of the video when he was cutting the cake that looked like Wish's body. The network asked if the shot could be replaced. Jeff Stein asked that the cake be filled with strawberry jam. Many parent groups and individuals like Tipper Gore were outraged.

The video was set to premiere via satellite because of the time crunch. This meant that MTV's standards and practices wouldn't get to see the final edit.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Not everyone's cup o' tea, I know. Not exactly styled for today's top-40. But this artist has some serious, serious talent. I stumbled across her while the closing credits were rolling on the last episode of Parenthood. Glad I took the time to do the google search.

Strong echoes of the later library of Nick Drake and Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark. And she's still only 23. Laura Marling will be carving out a long classical folk legacy for many many years...

A live performance of the title track of I Speak Because I Can at the tender age of 20.

A full concert from Down Under performed in 2012 at the age of 22.

And finally, a live performance from May of last year of the title track from her last release, Once I Was An Eagle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.