Darius Paige and Johnathon Cook Qualify; Robert Foster Update (Page 15)

tidebanker

1st Team
Oct 10, 2002
Hoover, AL USA
Re: 2013 Class Of Arrivals so far:

I think we need a government program to monitor a recruit's progress and ensure they qualify. If they don't qualify we can tax the school. Schools (GCs-teachers-admin-coaches) would "do what it takes" to get their recruits into college and the kids would have to work less. A road or two may even get repaved and we'd create some new jobs. It's a tough economy out there.

A government solution is obvioulsy a Win-Win. At least until the zombies take over.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Re: 2013 Class Arrivals so far:

I see news on Paige on Rivals but can view it. Anyone for any more news or can view rivals?
per BOL,

"he's wrapping up a replacement online English course later this week and hopes to enroll at UA on July 2. He feels good about his chances of making it in. That timeline could be a little fluid as his stuff will have to be cleared by the NCAA. Paige was taking the online course in addition to working on raising his ACT. He didn't raise the ACT score enough to get in on that alone, so it's now up to him doing well enough in the online course".

Re: 2013 Class Arrivals so far:

per BOL,

"he's wrapping up a replacement online English course later this week and hopes to enroll at UA on July 2. He feels good about his chances of making it in. That timeline could be a little fluid as his stuff will have to be cleared by the NCAA. Paige was taking the online course in addition to working on raising his ACT. He didn't raise the ACT score enough to get in on that alone, so it's now up to him doing well enough in the online course".
Thanks, also just read that Cook is looking good as well. I still won't be happy until all are on campus.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

My GC in high school cost me my scholly to UA thanks to not turning in my paperwork... She cited it as a clerical error, and offered an apology...
You are in big time boog country in Sylacauga. It was likely on purpose. The GC was probalby a boog graduate or fan. I grew up there. I looked online at the high school teachers at the high school there and about 75% were AU grads. Sad!

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

How come school counselors don't realize their students aren't on schedule to graduate? I mean, how difficult is it to check a student's HS record and see what core classes have not been passed and take steps to make sure the student's schedule is amended to include such classes? An audit of each student's record should be done prior to 10th, 11th and 12th grades. What is so hard about that.
No offense intended but it appears that in neither Paige nor Cook's case is it a problem stemming from the schools or the counselors at those schools. It appears that Cook is taking a course to replace a course that he took in an earlier grade that the was acceptable to the NCAA at that time but is no longer allowed.

In Paige's case, if you remember, he is the player that Pruitt had transfer from a Florida high school to Foley because of academic issues. That of course, before Pruitt accepted the FSU job. Apparently he has a little more catching up to do.

Cook and Paige

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Regarding Paige and Cook:

Not really any real "news" here, per se, despite what they have put out there. They've completed some summer online courses to pass muster on the Sliding Scale, at least in an absolute numbers, but will that be enough to pacify the Clearinghouse? Not really "news" that they passed the classes ... I mean, really, have you ever heard of anyone failing one of these summer online courses? That was a question of when, not if.

Clearinghouse is going to be extremely tricky here, to put it mildly, especially for Paige because he has the added issue of an interstate transfer complicating his case. We'll see what happens, but I wouldn't get too eager in anticipation just yet. I know these guys and their people have put out a lot of talk about getting to Tuscaloosa this weekend, but I imagine it's more likely that the Clearinghouse will take their sweet time reviewing their cases. I wouldn't be surprised if we were still waiting on decisions a few weeks from now, and it shouldn't take anyone by surprise if the NCAA refuses to accept the online courses and these two end up in JUCO.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I won't click "Like" or "Thanks" because of the anger in your note (understandable given your wife's job), but I agree with you that a guidance counselor has a lot of responsibility and there are some phenomenal GCs out there.
Not to mention most qualifying issues are due to a student not fulfilling their end of the deal. I can think of six student athletes I have taught who were warned during their sophomore year or before about the danger of not qualifying, and they didn't bring up their gpa at all and didn't qualify. Three of them were recruited by SEC schools (coincidentally, all three played basketball). Our guidance counselors warned the students and their parents regularly for 3+ years.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I do have a good friend, who was the number two rated Soccer prospect in the state several years ago. He had offers of some sort from several major universities, but most hinged on seeing how well he played his senior year. He was informed in January of his senior year (right before season started) that he was ineligible due to failing a non-core class the first semester of his Junior year. I think it was glorified study hall that was required after the disaster that was/is "No Child Left Behind" (or as my teacher friends named it "No School Left Standing"). It left him one credit short of being eligible, yet no one caught it until paper work had to be turned in to the AHSAA. Yes, it was HIS fault for not passing...however, if the GC or Coaches had been doing their job he could have either retaken the class or got another one in to get the needed credit. It ended up costing him a scholly, and possibly a career (his "rival" is now in the MLS after 4 years at UCLA). That goes on at too many schools.

Point being, someone at these school's needs to be on top of things. Kids are going to fail classes for one reason or another, even some when trying to pass. There should be a safety net that at the end of every school year, each athlete's eligibility should be reviewed for the upcoming year. That way if there is a problem, then it can be rectified. As athlete's get closer to being Seniors (especially those with futures at the NCAA level), there should be a focused effort to make sure kids are ready.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I do have a good friend, who was the number two rated Soccer prospect in the state several years ago. He had offers of some sort from several major universities, but most hinged on seeing how well he played his senior year. He was informed in January of his senior year (right before season started) that he was ineligible due to failing a non-core class the first semester of his Junior year. I think it was glorified study hall that was required after the disaster that was/is "No Child Left Behind" (or as my teacher friends named it "No School Left Standing"). It left him one credit short of being eligible, yet no one caught it until paper work had to be turned in to the AHSAA. Yes, it was HIS fault for not passing...however, if the GC or Coaches had been doing their job he could have either retaken the class or got another one in to get the needed credit. It ended up costing him a scholly, and possibly a career (his "rival" is now in the MLS after 4 years at UCLA). That goes on at too many schools.

Point being, someone at these school's needs to be on top of things. Kids are going to fail classes for one reason or another, even some when trying to pass. There should be a safety net that at the end of every school year, each athlete's eligibility should be reviewed for the upcoming year. That way if there is a problem, then it can be rectified. As athlete's get closer to being Seniors (especially those with futures at the NCAA level), there should be a focused effort to make sure kids are ready.
Depending on the school, I tend to think its on the coaches. At Prattville, each GC has a grade which equals to between 400-500. They can't worry just about the athletes. The coaches have to look things over.

OR schools have one GC with the sole purpose of looking at every athlete's grades.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I just left five years of working at a midsize public school in Alabama. The fault lies all the way around, and I suppose from our vantage point as fans it's hard to see who to blame in a specific situation, as much as might want to. I fully agree that it is the responsibility of the student to pass his classes, but I have seen plenty of teachers, coaches and counselors fall asleep at the wheel and the end result was that students fell through the cracks. If a kid is in danger of not qualifying due to failing classes, my hunch is that situation falls on the player's shoulders. Yet if we're talking about a situation where the student hasn't taken the classes in the first place, then, yes, I do blame the counselors and coaches, because that's their job. To be offended by such a suggestion is overly sensitive.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I just left five years of working at a midsize public school in Alabama. The fault lies all the way around, and I suppose from our vantage point as fans it's hard to see who to blame in a specific situation, as much as might want to. I fully agree that it is the responsibility of the student to pass his classes, but I have seen plenty of teachers, coaches and counselors fall asleep at the wheel and the end result was that students fell through the cracks. If a kid is in danger of not qualifying due to failing classes, my hunch is that situation falls on the player's shoulders. Yet if we're talking about a situation where the student hasn't taken the classes in the first place, then, yes, I do blame the counselors and coaches, because that's their job. To be offended by such a suggestion is overly sensitive.
I tend to think that these situations where the kids are having to retake a class from their 9th or 10th grade year fall into the category that a school administrative person was negligent in getting the kid back on track in a timely manner. The worst situations to me are when the kid actually passes those classes but the class doesnt meet some requirement of the NCAA. Effectively, these having to take special classes just gain eligibility.

To me a kid ought to be able to elect in beginning HS to take a curriculum track that will satisfy NCAA eligibility requirements - much in the same way that kids can pursue an advanced diploma. That you can monitor the kids progress on that track. Unfortunately, common sense is in short-supply with anything the government is involved in.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

To me a kid ought to be able to elect in beginning HS to take a curriculum track that will satisfy NCAA eligibility requirements - much in the same way that kids can pursue an advanced diploma. That you can monitor the kids progress on that track. Unfortunately, common sense is in short-supply with anything the government is involved in.
And that wouldn't always work. Regarding Cook:

Spanish Fort coach Mark Freeman wrote in a text Tuesday that everything is “looking good” for Cook. Freeman told AL.com earlier this month that Cook was finishing up one class to complete his eligibility.

“He is retaking a class he took in the ninth grade that the NCAA accepted then but does not accept now,” Freeman said. “He will be fine. He will be at Alabama this summer.”

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I wouldn't be surprised if we were still waiting on decisions a few weeks from now, and it shouldn't take anyone by surprise if the NCAA refuses to accept the online courses and these two end up in JUCO.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Man, I was looking forward to having both of these guys on campus.

Trobinson97

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2008

Saw this posted on another site, said to be from a scout article:

By the way, we almost certainly can cross off one newcomer as a contributor. Scout.com’s John Garcia, Jr., confirmed that junior college transfer tackle Leon Brown, who also went through spring practice, has been dismissed from the team.
Does anyone have more info on this? If true does that mean Bozeman enrolls this summer?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Saw this posted on another site, said to be from a scout article:

Does anyone have more info on this? If true does that mean Bozeman enrolls this summer?
Well, dang. So much for plug n play with him. Now we need an underclassman to step up for depth.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

^^^^^
By the way, we almost certainly can cross off one newcomer as a contributor. Scout.com’s John Garcia, Jr., confirmed that junior college transfer tackle Leon Brown, who also went through spring practice, has been dismissed from the team.

Is there any confirmation of this past something from some guy on Scout.com?

^^^^^

Is there any confirmation of this past something from some guy on Scout.com?
Wow!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.